Talk

Advanced search

Brother bringing his partner for xmas, what to get someone I've never met?

(20 Posts)
ggirl Mon 15-Dec-14 14:55:55

Can't believe I've never met her but we live practically on opposite sides of world .
No idea of her taste , have seen a few pics of her but that's it . Brother is being a dick and. Not replying to my emails.
Wtf do I get her ?

chanie44 Mon 15-Dec-14 15:03:11

If she lives on the other side of the world, it needs to be transportable.

A scarf?
Something from m&s?
Cashmere socks
Passport holder
Stationery like a nice pen

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Mon 15-Dec-14 15:04:32

A scarf.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 15-Dec-14 15:07:46

You can't really go wrong with chocolate!

ggirl Mon 15-Dec-14 15:22:55

Thanks , scarf and chocolate sounds good .

disneymum3 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:04:15

Save money and buy Nothing

wonkylegs Mon 15-Dec-14 16:08:57

A charity goat?

Infinity8 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:27:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FelizNavidaddies Tue 16-Dec-14 14:02:07

TheMagicToyshop Tue 16-Dec-14 14:13:41

What's your budget and how long are they staying? You could get vouchers for a meal out whilst they're here or nearby shop so she can have a nice experience on her trip?

oranges Tue 16-Dec-14 14:15:44

when I was at bf family xmas on the other side of the world, the gifts I loved the most were books about that part of the world- novels, travelogues. it really helped me understand the place.

ggirl Tue 16-Dec-14 22:34:25

They live in Vancouver

mysteryfairy Tue 16-Dec-14 23:00:53

I've got my SIL who I have met but who lives in New York cashmere ballet pump slippers. Very easy to fit in a suitcase and only worn in private so not too terrible if she's not keen on the colour. I did know her shoe size... You might not have that info.

In the past I've bought Jo Malone stuff on basis of it being very English. I think I've bought earl grey and cucumber and freesia and pear.

elastamum Tue 16-Dec-14 23:09:43

If she is coming from down under she will be cold when she gets here! Buy her a jumper grin

mummytime Tue 16-Dec-14 23:10:18

I'd got for something very English. Tea? Whittards?
Or a good English/British brand (if you are in Scotland its even easier, a Tartan rug/shawl?).

EstRusMum Wed 17-Dec-14 01:12:34

Just buy her loads of proper stereotypical English stuff... I mean - you can't go wrong with "keep calm" mug and a book about England (historical sites/castles) or it's culture (English jokes/slang). Maybe cute double decker bus souvenir?
Or if your family have some silly gift tradition (socks, scarves or personalised mug) - it's the best way to welcome her to the family. smile

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 08:44:03

Waitingonasunnyday Wed 17-Dec-14 08:47:10

When I didn't know my SIL, I bought her a really nice set of lip glosses.

(I have no idea if she liked them as she NEVER says thank you for anything, although she does sometimes explicitly criticise gifts.)

ggirl Sun 21-Dec-14 08:45:28

thanks for all the suggestions , i bought her a scarf , some prestat chocs in union jack box , hand cream and some fancy tea.

whatn0w Sun 21-Dec-14 08:49:41

A couple of top selling paperback novels? Even better if one or both is based somewhere interesting in Britain (there are a couple excellent ones based in Cornwall)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now