Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which red wine to have with Christmas dinner?

(14 Posts)
MyVegasBaby Mon 15-Dec-14 13:30:50

I don't drink red but a couple of our guests do, could anyone help me with what red would be good to have?
Thanks

AuntieStella Mon 15-Dec-14 18:13:03

How much do you want to spend?

panevino Mon 15-Dec-14 19:42:31

I don't think it actually matters all that much if you are having the traditional turkey dinner because there are so many flavours in there that you are going to struggle to find a wine that matches perfectly with everything. Bordeaux is the classic/traditional Christmas dinner red but a decent rioja would work or a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot (we are having an Italian one).
I also wouldn't go over the top cost-wise, unless you know your guests like a particular wine and want to treat them, because, again, with all the flavours in the meal and everything else that may be consumed over the course of the day it will get kind of lost.

Impatientwino Mon 15-Dec-14 22:06:19

If you're having turkey a light red would be best.

A Pinot noir or a fleurie are generally the lightest.

MyVegasBaby Mon 15-Dec-14 22:35:49

Happy to spend between £7-£10 a bottle.

SweetPeaPods Mon 15-Dec-14 22:38:50

Pinot noir would be my choice, either NZ if you can get in in budget or a French one.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Dec-14 22:48:31

This red from Waitrose is hard to beat in its price range. Would go well with cheese too.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Dec-14 22:50:50

And this Saint Emillion (on half price offer) is lovely too.

SteveBrucesNose Tue 16-Dec-14 02:56:39

I'd just go with whatever they drink normally. As a PP has said, many people would say put a Bordeaux with it, but I can't stand that whether it's tradition or not.

Alternatively, Pinot noir, and yes to NZ ones (no idea what they cost in the UK though). But that's my fave anyway

panevino Tue 16-Dec-14 07:51:09

I would have pinot noir with turkey if there wasn't much else with it but if you also have stuffing, cranberry sauce etc it will be totally drowned out and you really need to spend a bit to get a decent pinot noir anyway, especially from NZ.
Where are you going to be buying from, a supermarket or independent wine shop?

MyVegasBaby Tue 16-Dec-14 22:16:00

I have an Ocado slot booked but also going to Sainsburys at the weekend to spend my nectar points so can get it at either.

Squeegle Tue 16-Dec-14 22:20:37

Yes, you can't go too far wrong with a nice New Zealand Pinot noir
Personally I also like Beaujolais with Turkey, Fleurie maybe?

panevino Tue 16-Dec-14 22:46:26

I take it you don't know which red your guests normally drink...can you find out? I would honestly just get that, if you can.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 16-Dec-14 22:52:23

You need to spend £15+ to get a decent pinot noir from NZ, there are some shockers around.

You could do a lot worse than go for that half price St.Emillion.

We like claret with ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now