Talk

Advanced search

Hold back on Lego?

(20 Posts)
Boysclothes Mon 15-Dec-14 11:35:43

In the summer I was lucky enough to pick up a HUGE box of lego in the charity shop for six quid. Think one of those enormous old fashioned plastic storage tubs, probably twenty litres. I saved it for Christmas but DS is just three now and was thinking it might be too old for him? He has plenty of other things. He was struggling a bit with duplo today. Hold back or give it to him? His birthday is today! So no opportunity to give it to him later in the year. Will he play with it this year or hold off til next Christmas/birthday?

ouryve Mon 15-Dec-14 11:37:37

If he's happy but having difficulty with the duplo. I'd keep it back for a little while.

Bargain find, though!

sleepyhead Mon 15-Dec-14 11:37:49

Hold off if you've got plenty of other things. It'll just get lost in with the rest and there's no point in him having it just for the sake of it.

If he's still getting fun out of, or just starting to enjoy, Duplo then I'd put it away for a year or so.

AalyaSecura Mon 15-Dec-14 11:39:29

Hold it back I'd say. My 4yo is just starting to manage with lego, and still prefers his duplo. My oldest was 5 before he was able to build small lego sets.

Chopsypie Mon 15-Dec-14 11:39:46

Hold back. DS is 4.5 and he is still a bit hit and miss with Lego. He likes it, but can't really play alone with it he needs someone to help

Floggingmolly Mon 15-Dec-14 11:42:07

No opportunity to give it to him until next year? Seriously?

chanie44 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:42:58

I've bought ds Lego, he's 4.5 and only just getting into it. I'd hold off for at least a year.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 15-Dec-14 11:43:25

Keep it for next year I reckon.

Boysclothes Mon 15-Dec-14 11:45:58

Thanks, will do.

Flogging, his birthday and Christmas all this time of year. He gets plenty of treats and little pressies, books and toys throughout the year from both us and his grandparents, but this will be a "big present" (or he'll think so anyway! He's judges by quantity....) so nicer for birthday or Xmas I think.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 15-Dec-14 11:59:06

I get you on the whole no other chances to give it to him thing. We are very much that you only get presents etc on birthday and christmas so to just randomly pull out a huge box of lego in the year would be a bit odd. But he only little, next year will be perfect for it.

DaveMccave Mon 15-Dec-14 12:03:14

I'd hold it back. My DD loved her duplo for years, she only got into real Lego last year when she was 6. She's 7 now and she was very reluctant when I put the duplo in the loft for her sister a few months ago, even though she loves her real lego now. I'd give it next christmas instead.

sleepyhead Mon 15-Dec-14 12:34:13

About the Christmas/birthday being so close together thing, ds1 has a late November birthday so gets all his big presents for the year in a 5 week period as well.

For that reason, we've tended to give him a summer "present" to break up the year a bit. It's usually something that he'd get more use of in the summer rather than the winter - a scooter when he was 3 for example.

I find that he gets a tiny bit short changed when it comes to presents as it's hard to think of two lots of things he really wants over such a short period of time so either his birthday or his Christmas tends to be smaller than it might be if there was a few months between. That's my reasoning anyway smile

Having said that, I'd still save the Lego for Christmas next year.

OddFodd Mon 15-Dec-14 12:37:00

He's too little for it. Put it in the attic or something until he's at least 4, if not 5. Seriously, Lego is a total PITA, particularly with younger kids who tend to tip huge boxes over angry

DamselNotInHerDress Mon 15-Dec-14 13:29:26

I'd put it away, probably for a couple of years. He'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it when he can properly use it than if he gets it too young and it ends up being ignored in a box for years.

KatherinaMinola Mon 15-Dec-14 17:38:54

Yes, hold off until next year. DD is 4.5 and will be getting a new set of Duplo for Xmas smile.

(By the way, I did so enjoy your EKL thread... I wish I could get that scenario as a Duplo or Playmobil set).

Pipbin Mon 15-Dec-14 17:46:11

Hold it back.
And I agree with keeping it for a birthday or Christmas. Something big like that can't be just handed out whenever.

FishWithABicycle Mon 15-Dec-14 17:47:16

I think if I had a DC with a Mid-December to Mid-January birthday I would make up an "an a half" birthday in Mid-June to Mid-July at which they got one nice-but-not-too-expensive present, which could well be a second hand charityshop thing.

A huge box of lego sounds perfect for a 3-and-a-half year old.

ouryve Mon 15-Dec-14 18:27:25

One thing you could do, which would test how ready he is for it, is use the big box to make up a smaller box to give him in the summer holidays. Enough to experiment with, but not enough to make a big mess with.

Notso Mon 15-Dec-14 19:30:47

Firstly, lucky you, what a bargain. smile
DS1 is Lego mad. He was given loads at 4 but didn't get into it until 5-6.
DS2 turned 4 last week and although his big brother has patiently tried to help him he cannot manage lego yet.

Boysclothes Tue 16-Dec-14 11:14:57

Thanks guys, it's going up in the loft! I don't like the half birthday concept, my mum was trying to sell it to me when DS was a baby but I was like "exactly how much celebrating of one kid does there need to be?" His birthday is mid December, end of.

It's the best of all worlds really, I have a brilliant, totally bargainous gift but it's up in the loft and not creating mess! Enormous sense of well-being!

Katherina, EKL would be great as a duplo and also as a board book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now