Talk

Advanced search

to tinsel or not to tinsel?

(21 Posts)
amy83firsttimer Sun 14-Dec-14 19:13:58

It's our second married Christmas and first with a child so we've only splashed out on a real tree last year and this year. This year is the first time I've actually bought new decorations to my taste having previously used handmedown ones that actually I didn't like. All the old tinsel is gold and my new decorations are all silver and red. I've done the tree with no tinsel and think it should looks nice but is it a bit "wrong"?
So, to buy new silver tinsel or leave tinsel-free?

Picture for reference - it came out a bit weird sorry.

Boomtownsurprise Sun 14-Dec-14 19:18:28

Looks nice but empty.

Tinsel

LemonBreeland Sun 14-Dec-14 19:21:07

We don't normally do tinsel on our tree, but DD (3) is loving tinsel this year so we have a totally silver tree with silver tinsel and I'm quite liking it.

BlueberriesAndWine Sun 14-Dec-14 19:27:08

On my real tree I have coloured lights and LOADS of decorations/baubles so it looks full.

I have an artificial tree as well that is a tinselfest! Both different looks but I like them. I think your tree might look a bit empty because of the clear lights.

BlueberriesAndWine Sun 14-Dec-14 19:27:59

Sorry, I never gave the advice! I'd stick some tinsel on it.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 14-Dec-14 19:30:00

I have some black and some silver tinsel on mine

amy83firsttimer Sun 14-Dec-14 19:39:09

There's probably more decorations than you can see due to crap photo.
Is it generally wrong to not tinsel?

LoveVintage Sun 14-Dec-14 19:51:19

This year instead of using tinsel I have used hessian ribbon. Looks fabby.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 14-Dec-14 19:55:53

There's nice tinsel out there, it needs to be dense and soft not long nasty fibres.

Your tree has very dense lower branches, has it had settling in time? The branches will drop lower then you can apply more to the top, tinsel if you really must wink

poppetina Sun 14-Dec-14 19:57:53

I've not used tinsel on mine, but I have plenty of decorations and some lines of silver beads draped like tinsel. Also plenty of warm white lights. I love it! Sorry I can't comment on yours OP as I can't see it, but trees can look fab without it.

HollyBdenum Sun 14-Dec-14 20:00:26

I think you need your lights to be closer to the trunk of the tree, but I'm on a phone with a small screen and can't really see the decorations.

Optimistletoe1 Sun 14-Dec-14 20:08:14

I don't do tinsel but use lametta a-plenty!

sisterofmercy Sun 14-Dec-14 20:26:16

There is no wrong or right just do what you think looks nice. I can't really see that much but it looks as magical as any Xmas tree already to me.

OutDamnSpot Sun 14-Dec-14 20:30:04

I hate tinsel. But I also hate Christmas trees, lametta, cards, sparkly twigs etc. So probably not the person to ask.

If I had my way Christmas decoration would stop with the wreath on the front door.

amy83firsttimer Sun 14-Dec-14 20:41:06

What's lametta?

DamselNotInHerDress Sun 14-Dec-14 20:50:19

If you want my advice (you probably don't, I let my dc decorate our tree!), I think the problem is the lights! They need to be closer in to the trunk and tucked In a bit neater smile
(Sorry, just my two penny's worth)

BackwardFlip Sun 14-Dec-14 23:23:51

Love tinsel it just makes the lights on the tree sparkle. My DM never put it on the tree which is probably why I love it all the more although DM sometimes put on lametta.

BackwardFlip Sun 14-Dec-14 23:26:03

Here's my blurry tree with tinsel.

Gunpowder Sun 14-Dec-14 23:37:21

I think tinsel is BACK! Haven't put any on for years but going to get some this Christmas smile

Lametta is like deconstructed tinsel, all long single strands.

mathanxiety Mon 15-Dec-14 05:25:28

No tinsel here. I have about twenty feet of gold beads instead like this (not my tree). I am going to try putting the lights a bit closer to the trunk this year per advice here..

TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 15-Dec-14 06:59:37

I read a post somewhere recently where a poster described her tree as being like the love child of Dame Edna Everidge and Liberace- that made me hoot with laughter fgrin
As a child that was our tree, with twenty year old tinsel in a variety of synthetic colours, liberally finished off with lametta (until the day the cat nearly choked to death on it) As a result mine is a tinsel free house, despite much pleading and wheedling from DH DS.
I must admit though, the new tinsel is much better and does give a large tree a certain amount of padding though I still wouldn't allow it in the house fgrin
I would wait a couple days and see how the tree settles before you make any rash decisions you will regret for the rest of your life decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now