Talk

Advanced search

Do you tart up your Christmas veg?

(68 Posts)
Crumblevision Sun 14-Dec-14 17:51:58

Inspired by the thread about what veg are served by law in each house, my question is - do you tart up your veg? Eg stir fry sprouts with bacon and chestnuts, create flavoured butters to melt over your carrots and so on? . . . . It tends to be plain boiled the life out of if my DM is cooking in our family grin

Crumblevision Sun 14-Dec-14 18:48:10

Bump

Greencurtain Sun 14-Dec-14 18:49:35

I like tarted up veg but tend to leave ours plain due to hectic day at Christmas!

Chennai Sun 14-Dec-14 18:49:44

Only the sprouts. I parboil them and then sauté them in butter, brown sugar and crushed garlic. Yum.

katienana Sun 14-Dec-14 18:52:25

I think plain is better to balance all the richness of the other food. we did have fancy carrots with star anise last year which was more enhancing than drenching in butter.

ouryve Sun 14-Dec-14 18:53:11

Nope. Sprouts and carrots are always unadorned, as DS1 will eat them that way.

eckythumpenallthat Sun 14-Dec-14 18:53:44

Sprouts have garlic and pancetta
Carrots n parsnips have maple syrup and are roasted

AlleyCat11 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:54:25

I love veg & think it should be served as close to nature as intended. Steamed, bit of butter, salt, pinch of pepper. I hate the new TV chef trend for bacon, chorizo etc...
Also, think about vegetarians! I don't eat meat, but I don't want special fuss at Christmas. Folk fret so much about feeding veggies. I'll eat anything that's not meat. But goose fat potatoes & lard glazed carrots kind of limit the menu. Keep it simple, I say!

CaptainAnkles Sun 14-Dec-14 18:54:26

I do sprouts stir fried with smoked streaky bacon. I don't do them with chestnuts though.

Chottie Sun 14-Dec-14 18:54:32

No I don't, we prefer plain vegetables as other Christmas lunch food is very rich and multi flavoured.

NickiFury Sun 14-Dec-14 18:55:27

Yes, sprouts with bacon. Glazed carrots (the nicest vegetable ever!), honey roast parsnips.

TwoNoisyBoys Sun 14-Dec-14 18:57:42

Yes, I do a bit. I do flavoured butter to put over chantenay carrots if I've steamed them, or drizzle them with honey and roast them. The sprouts are stir fried with chestnuts and bacon....I also do a winter root mash which is parsnips & swede mashed with cream and horseradish and I do braised red cabbage. The broccoli and roast potatoes and parsnips are all just plain though!

Hulababy Sun 14-Dec-14 19:00:24

Sprouts always done sliced and quickly stir fried with some smoky bacon or chorizo for dh and DD.
Butter veg if they've been steamed.
Or lots of roasted veggies.

Chewbecca Sun 14-Dec-14 19:01:24

All veg must be cooked plainly for Christmas lunch in this house:
Boiled carrots and cauli
Steamed leek and Brussels
Roasted parsnips
Boiled & mashed swede

tumbletumble Sun 14-Dec-14 19:06:27

I haven't in the past, just more types of veg than normal but not cooked differently. Having said that, I keep meaning to do an amazing red cabbage recipe my friend gave me but I never seem to get round to it! We normally have sprouts (boiled), parsnips (roast), mashed carrots and Swede and boiled peas.

HollyJollyXmas Sun 14-Dec-14 19:10:19

I like the peas and brussels just steamed lightly and plain.

I tart up roast parsnips (drizzled with maple syrup before roasting) and carrots (roasted with butter and sage & rosemary).

Cant be arsed with too much faff.

bigTillyMint Sun 14-Dec-14 19:13:42

No, because the meal/bits before and after are so rich anyway and I can't be bothered I like plain veg.

Due2015 Sun 14-Dec-14 19:15:22

I do sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts and carrots and parsnips with a bit of honey

DamselNotInHerDress Sun 14-Dec-14 20:33:57

Yes, it's Christmas dinner!
Sprouts with pancetta, garlic, wine and stuff.
Carrots with star anise and butter.
Parmesan parsnips.
Cauliflower cheese with breadcrumbs.
Spiced red cabbage.

Well, dp does. If it were down to me, we'd be going out for dinner!

Slubberdegullion Sun 14-Dec-14 20:49:21

Last year I said goodbye to the snazzy sprout. I have no regrets.

mummy2angel Sun 14-Dec-14 22:12:47

Buttered minted peas with garlic, roasted carrots and parsnips with rosemary but always plain sprouts.

I considered posh sprouts but thought it may be too many flavours

qazxc Sun 14-Dec-14 22:20:54

I do ponce up the veg.
I fry the sprouts with Aldi cubed pancetta, Honey roast parsnips, and i baton the carrots as opposed to sliced.

OddBoots Sun 14-Dec-14 22:47:53

I've tried all sorts in the past but this year I am cheating, I have ordered my veg from M&S and will do whatever it says on the packet - no more and no less.

Mintyy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:50:41

No! After all the other faffing about, I just like plain steamed sprouts, carrots, tenderstem broccoli and peas. We do have braised red cabbage, though. And everything else but no starter.

Crumblevision Sun 14-Dec-14 22:51:50

Ooh Slubber, gotta have the sprouts!

Peas are an abomination and have no place at Chez Crumble's table grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now