Talk

Advanced search

What do you have for dinner on Christmas Eve?

(50 Posts)
chicaguapa Sun 14-Dec-14 17:46:28

We're going to the GPs for Christmas Day & Boxing Day. We have bought DC a popcorn maker which we'll unveil on Christmas Eve to make some popcorn and settle down to watch a Christmas film with before bed.

So we can't work out what to do for dinner for just the 4 of us. Part of me doesn't want it to just be a normal mid-week dinner but we'll also be under time pressure to set up the popcorn maker and get the film on.

I'm at work during the day so we can't have a big lunch instead.

What are your traditions?

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 14-Dec-14 17:50:24

I've often done fillet steak. Its not an every day meal and is very quick to cook once the guests arrive. Also easy to do for 4.

This year we're 14 plus for Christmas eve, but its the only meal of the three days i'm doing. We're having festive canapés, chicken and ham terrine, four way pork, new york cheese cake, fresh truffles and a cheeseboard. Accompanied by too much alcohol no doubt.

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sun 14-Dec-14 17:53:41

Takeaway, quick easy and no pots to wash fgrin

balancingfigure Sun 14-Dec-14 18:11:19

Usually roast ham and then we have leftovers for after Christmas!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 14-Dec-14 18:17:44

Usually DH and I have vegetarian grills (I love the sweetcorn Tivoli ones ) we're vegetarian. DC have fish fingers.
Chips
Salad

This year we have DF/DM/DBro/DSil and SIL can't stomach the thought of sweetcorn ( I won't be so mean as to make the sweetcorn grills) so we'll do pies (LMc and Quorn and I'll make a steak pie) + fish fingers for DS.
Chips
Peas
Pudding

Whitershadeofpale Sun 14-Dec-14 18:23:19

We have ham too. Usually with eggs and real chips. Not something we have often and then have leftovers for the Christmas period.

ILoveSimonCowell Sun 14-Dec-14 18:26:02

Chinese. Or possibly an Indian. That's our tradition. Nothing that requires any effort whatsoever!

Pico2 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:27:31

Whole ham - slow cooked and glazed in the oven with a chutney. Cauliflower cheese, some sort of potato, braised red cabbage, possibly some broccoli. We're then planning on panettone bread and butter pudding. I'm not sure whether we will actually get it all done as we are at work until lunchtime. But it's worth a try for the leftovers alone.

disneymum3 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:31:32

A mini buffet, no cooking apart from using microwave and toaster, paper plates.

Thesimplethings Sun 14-Dec-14 18:34:53

Chinese takeaway usually, once dc are in bed we open the booze and pig out smile

HeyMacWey Sun 14-Dec-14 18:35:19

Cold fresh fish platter, naice bread and lots of bubbly.

BackwardFlip Sun 14-Dec-14 18:35:42

My DM usually buys Christmas party food you heat up in the oven, usually from M&S no matter how many people she has over.

HomeyIDrankTheBeer Sun 14-Dec-14 18:38:16

King prawn salad, baguettes, sauce. No cooking basically.

chanie44 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:38:48

We will be having a buffet on Xmas eve. I'm going to buy party food to heat up.

So far, I have lobster, crisps, duck spring rolls and chicken skewers.

Steben Sun 14-Dec-14 18:39:02

Always a takeout

fairyfuckwings Sun 14-Dec-14 18:44:02

There was a thread about this last week and someone said they were going to have. hot roast beef sandwiches and hohomemade soup, which I think sounds perfect - so that's what we'll have. Quite easy but really tasty and simple - perfect preparation for all the rich food we'll be having the next day!

Jenni2legs Sun 14-Dec-14 18:44:37

Chinese, might make some homemade stay and 'bits' to make it more special as mil is coming over.

AnneElliott Sun 14-Dec-14 18:54:20

Indian takeaway with a group of friends. We have done thus with the same friends for several years.

crazykat Sun 14-Dec-14 18:57:24

We always have takeaway Christmas Eve. Kids usually have McDonalds and we have Chinese later.

Iamblossom Sun 14-Dec-14 19:02:14

We're having a Mexican feast, tacos and fajitas.

Santaslittleblowupdoll Sun 14-Dec-14 19:03:14

We always go for an Indian meal

HSMMaCM Sun 14-Dec-14 19:05:33

DH and I will probably just have wine Christmas eve. If we had a popcorn maker dd would be happy with popcorn for her tea.

FoxSticks Sun 14-Dec-14 19:09:24

DH and I are having canapes, baked camembert and some crusty bread - yum!

bigTillyMint Sun 14-Dec-14 19:14:36

We go out for lunch and a show with friends, so just some nice soup and rolls and nibbly bits usually.

HopeAndChristmasStories Sun 14-Dec-14 19:58:07

We always have a small buffet. Party food & cheese and crackers etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now