Talk

Advanced search

Christmas dinner veg: The Law

(84 Posts)
HollyJollyXmas Sun 14-Dec-14 15:13:00

It is The Law to have peas, carrots, parsnips and of course brussels

Cauliflower is acceptable. Cauli cheese isnt.

Broccoli is an offence.

Green beans are just weird.

Dancingqueen17 Sun 14-Dec-14 15:17:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mousefinkle Sun 14-Dec-14 15:17:37

Not in our house, peas are illegal. Yorkshire puddings (I realise they're not a vegetable but a point worth making) have no place on a Christmas dinner plate. And potatoes have to be roasted, mash is fine for regular sunday dinners but definitely NOT Christmas dinner.

Carrots, parsnips, sprouts and braised cabbage here. We've had Cauli and broccoli in previous years but now reserve them for Sunday dinners only.

fairnotFairyTaleofNewYork Sun 14-Dec-14 15:22:10

Where's the mashed turnip? (My southern in-laws call it swede...)

PlasticCoat Sun 14-Dec-14 15:25:25

No no no! The law is carrots, Devil's mini cabbages (that's Brussels sprouts to those who like them, boak!), roasted parsnips and red cabbage are a must have. Plus either broccoli, cauliflower (cauli cheese is good!) or green beans.
Nothing wrong with Yorkshire pudding either as the dc love them.

Germgirl Sun 14-Dec-14 15:27:03

sprouts, parsnips, carrots if you must & red cabbage if you're posh.
Those are my rules.
No Yorkshires, no mash, no cauliflower cheese.
Christmas dinner is turkey, maybe ham, sausages + bacon, stuffing (2 types), sprouts, parsnips, roast potatoes, bread sauce & gravy.
I have to do carrots for DH & DSD and I might do cabbage for me. But that's it.

youbethemummylion Sun 14-Dec-14 15:27:51

Peas are illegal! You may choose from carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, parsnips, carrot and swede mash, roast potatoes and mash no other veg allowed.

bobs123 Sun 14-Dec-14 15:29:24

No no no! The Law is brussel sprouts.

As long as there are brussels then anything else is acceptable fsmile

(we have peas, parsnips, broccoli and sweetcorn to cater to the tastes of those eating)

CaptainAnkles Sun 14-Dec-14 15:29:41

My children eat broccoli, therefore we have broccoli. I'd rather cook veg that they will eat than veg that 'goes' with Christmas dinner, tbh. I do sprouts, carrots, peas and broccoli. I don't count parsnips as another veg exactly because they are like roast potatoes.

bobs123 Sun 14-Dec-14 15:29:54

oh...and roasties!

18yearstooold Sun 14-Dec-14 15:36:11

Turnips and swede are different things aren't they?

youbethemummylion Sun 14-Dec-14 15:43:25

Yes turnip and swede are different things unless you are from the North East in which case you call a swede a turnip and god knows what you call a turnip!

fairnotFairyTaleofNewYork Sun 14-Dec-14 15:45:28

I'm from the North East! grin

There are "turnips" (southerners call them swedes).
Then there are "white turnips".

Selks Sun 14-Dec-14 15:49:35

Buttered carrots, sprouts with chestnuts, roast parsnips, creamed leeks and steamed cauliflower here!

HollyJollyXmas Sun 14-Dec-14 15:57:13

Turnips and sweetcorn? <faints>

grin

18yearstooold Sun 14-Dec-14 16:01:58

I'm from Yorkshire fairnot, hardly southern and the fat orange stuff you mash is definitely swede grin

Christmas veg in our house...
Peas
Roast carrots and parsnip
Mashed carrot and swede
Broccoli

We have a day of 'eat what you like' and these are family favourites

Note the lack of sprouts horrible things!

Fathertedismyuncle Sun 14-Dec-14 16:04:42

Roast beetroot with bacon and chestnuts, honey glazed carrots, sprouts in red wine (makes them less sprout like), roast parsnip and butternut squash and of course roast potatoes. No other veg required!

youbethemummylion Sun 14-Dec-14 16:06:19

18yearstooold I'm from Yorkshire too but now I live In the North East I have given up on the swede/turnip argument apparently according to DH we are all wrong even the supermarkets!

ExitPursuedByABear Sun 14-Dec-14 16:08:33

No, no, no, no.

Sprouts
Carrot and Swede mashed together
Red Cabbage
Parsnips
Roast Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes.

Mostlyjustaluker Sun 14-Dec-14 16:09:12

Just off to parents for Sunday dinner. We will be having the christmas dinner discussion where my sister and I want to reduce the variety of food. This is always vetoed my mum who does not do the cooking or clearing up!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 14-Dec-14 16:11:32

Roast beetroot with bacon and chestnuts!! That sounds divine.

We are having roast veg (parsnips, carrots, roasties), green beans with almonds, brussels, sweet potato casserole and I have just mentally added red cabbage.

FatherTed if you would post your beetroot recipe I might be adding that too! smile please? smile

BestIsWest Sun 14-Dec-14 16:13:05

We all choose one veg. Somehow no two people ever choose the same veg.

DF- Roast potatoes
Me - Mashed swede
DH - Broad beans
DD - Roast parsnips
DS- Buttered carrots
DM - Cauliflower or red cabbage(she and DH would like both but you have to draw the line somewhere). I hate cooking cauli as I find it a nightmare to get the timing right.

And sprouts of course. (I love sprouts).

I cook enough so that we can have re heated Christmas lunch on Boxing Day.

Hopefully Sun 14-Dec-14 16:13:18

We do far too many accompaniments. The turkey ends up as a garnish on top! As a bare minimum:

Sprouts (bleurgh)
Carrot and parsnip crumble
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Cabbage with apple and raisins
Some other greens, often baby leeks with lemon saffron sauce
Cranberry sauce
Chestnut stuffing
Usually some other veggie stuffing (we like stuffing. Chestnut and veggie come alongside normal stuffing!)

Obv all the usual bread sauce/pigs in blankets etc.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 14-Dec-14 16:13:43

I sauté the sprouts in lashings of butter and plenty of garlic. Even the DDs eat them!

BestIsWest Sun 14-Dec-14 16:17:20

DH is currently in the kitchen 'experimenting' with Christmas stuffing ideas hmm. There's no place for experimenting with Christmas dinner in my view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now