Talk

Advanced search

Do your DC have Kindles?

(14 Posts)
TimelyNameChangey Sun 14-Dec-14 11:06:30

Do they like them? How old are they?

I'm tempted to get one for DD1 who is ten and avid reader.

She loves her books though so will she find it souless? The attraction is that we can access books immediately so no waiting for things to be delivered.

fuctifino Sun 14-Dec-14 11:08:47

I have my dd one when she was 11.
She loves it and it is well used 18 months on.
I do still buy her books, though not as often.

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 14-Dec-14 11:12:45

DS1(12) and DS2(10) both have them. It was a great novelty for the first 6 months or so, but now they are back to reading proper books again instead. They both prefer the feel of a real book, which TBH so do I. They are handy for holidays or long journeys though.

derektheladyhamster Sun 14-Dec-14 11:14:38

DS 14 has had one since he was 11, he still reads library books but everything else on the kindle. DS11 is getting one for christmas. We live in a small house and so can't accomodate a large number of books

TheFantasticMrsFox Sun 14-Dec-14 11:29:51

Same as jemima, DS's just lies gathering dust now and he still avidly collects "real" books.
It doesn't really bother me either way but as he loves technology so much, I cannot say I'm not surprised by its rejection.

Dragonlette Sun 14-Dec-14 11:40:20

Dd1 got one 3 years ago when she was 12. She reads a lot on the kindle but also visits the library most weeks and buys second hand books fairly often. I'm never sure if I'll see her reading the kindle or a real book.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 14-Dec-14 11:41:36

DD was 6 when she got hers as she kept on taking mine.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 14-Dec-14 12:10:17

Very helpful everyone! Thanks! Would you consider one for a child as young as 7 who doesn't read very well? My younger DD LOVES all screens but struggles with reading...maybe she'd like one too? Do the kids books have pictures to look at as well as words?

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 14-Dec-14 12:13:31

You can get books with just pictures and ones with pics and words and you can change the size of the font to help with reading so the words are bigger.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 14-Dec-14 14:18:27

Oh that sounds good!

Lifesalemon Sun 14-Dec-14 14:38:22

I would check with someone who owns a newer model kindle first what the quality is like if you want to download picture books. I have the oldest model and the pictures are in flat shades of grey and not very exciting. It's great for reading text though i use it loads and it has lasted me years.

derektheladyhamster Sun 14-Dec-14 14:43:54

kindle for kids

looks pretty good

Takver Sun 14-Dec-14 14:47:23

DD (age 12) reads a lot on her tablet - she has a kindle app so can read kindle books, but also reads a lot of fanfic from the web. We thought about a kindle, but came to the conclusion a cheap tablet was more flexible. Battery life obviously not so good, though (not a prob for dd as she just plugs it in overnight).

1122christy Mon 15-Dec-14 21:39:25

My son is 6 (7 in feb) and he has been using dh kindle for past month now, he loves it. Think it's the novelty of it at the moment. Thinking of getting him his own one for birthday as is great for holidays etc and can hold way more books than our house can!
I think they are great idea especially as its just books on it compared to tablet where he would probs get distracted with games instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now