Talk

Advanced search

Deciphering this Christmas gift lift for 7 year old with track history of asking for rubbish presents!

(15 Posts)
LePetitPrince Sun 14-Dec-14 09:14:43

My imaginative 7 year old has track record in asking for rubbish presents. What she has in her brain and what shows up are clearly two very different things, e.g. the year she asked for "horses", the "the maker that makes anything in the world" etc etc.

This year the list to Santa includes a phone (no way!) and a spa/pamper set, even though I'm not keen on make-up for kids. She is determined Santa will bring what she asks for, no matter what we say. Any ideas what we can substitute so we don't have a disappointed girl?

She doesn't like Princesses or Disney styled presents..

Help!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 14-Dec-14 09:21:13

im with u on the no make up for children thing, the spa/pamper kit I would get a glittery bath bomb, her own body puff thing (dunhelm mill had ones with animals on for 49p), some body glitter, a lip balm, hand cream (my dd gets dry hands) and maybe her own towel. grin

phone I suppose she's a bit old for a play phone but maybe a note from santa that santas elves have lots of children to give presents too so cant give them expensive things like phones?

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 14-Dec-14 09:25:13

oh and fake tattoos my dd loves those grin

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 14-Dec-14 09:25:59

What about walky talkies instead of a phone?

Loads of little age appropriate bits available as a spa kit as mentioned in previous post bath bombs etc. You could even include one of those sachets of smear on peel of facial masks that are only about 50p and smell very fruity.

SanityClause Sun 14-Dec-14 09:35:14

My DDs loved painting nails. You can get kits which enable you to put patterns etc on them. That could be part of the spa set. (My DDs are now 15 and 13, and while DD1 wears a lot of makeup, she has strong feminist beliefs, as does DD2, although her look is very androgynous. So, some fun make up when they were little hasn't turned them into Katie Price wannabes.wink)

marne2 Sun 14-Dec-14 09:38:56

You can get nail pens, I think they are easier and less messy to use. My dd's love lush bath bombs and bubble bath/shower gel from body shop ( they always have sales on ), maybe hair chalk as it washes out, one of those face packs, lip balm and some body lotion. Body shop also do glittery body butter. Maybe a hair dryer? ( my 8 year old is getting one ).

avocadotoast Sun 14-Dec-14 09:47:53

I'd put her a little pamper kit together. It doesn't have to include makeup and it could be really sweet. If you don't want to put it together yourself, Lush have some gift sets that could be appropriate (just bath bombs/shower stuff, no body scrubs or anything).

LePetitPrince Sun 14-Dec-14 09:57:07

Thanks ladies - great advice here! Home compiled pamper set it is! I was worried I'd be told I'm a fuddy duddy for not giving her a phone grin

IHeartKingThistle Sun 14-Dec-14 10:03:32

Claires accessories have 'phones' that open up and are actually little makeup kits for £5. I've got one for my DD (8) but it'll be for playing and dressing up only, not for leaving the house!

MILLYmo0se Sun 14-Dec-14 10:11:38

Boots have lovely bath sets for kids too

wonkylegs Sun 14-Dec-14 10:15:51

I told DS last year that FC can't do apple products or lego as he hasn't got the copyright for them. He knows a bit about copyright as his favourite auntie worked for a brand design agency (so he gets lots of samples of cools stuff that is in the pipeline).
He swallowed this hook line & sinker and I even caught him telling his best friend this in the playground. This has meant that we've ended up with a rather reasonable list for Santa, grandad got the less reasonable lego list though!
I'd go with your own put together spa set & maybe distract with other little things she likes but hasn't asked for.

XmasEveDallas Sun 14-Dec-14 10:17:17

Sainsburys were selling 'Tatty Teddy ' bath sets, lip balms, glitter soaps and nail varnish sets yesterday as 3 for 2 offers and they were under a fiver (we got some for DD to give to friends). They also had little make-up sets I think (and the same ideas in Coca-Cola, Hello Kitty, Frozen and Moshi Monsters)

Flippityflip Sun 14-Dec-14 19:37:58

For phone you can get intercom phones?Only thing is we used to have wired ones when I was a kid and I'd bet the quality on these is better than the wireless ones they do now but I'm not sure if you can still get them,worth a google-it would be room to room calls only,like a wallow talkie,but you can have a normal conversation without pushing down the button,and they ring each other,so not a real phone but still a phone of sorts!
Alternatively this http://m.claires.co.uk/studio-pets-happy-phone-lipgloss-set/shop/fcp-product/33434

Prizepudding Sun 14-Dec-14 19:47:22

My 7yr old niece has asked for orbeez foot spa, sounds rubbish but has the pamper element. Also fun bar or bath bombs from lush.

I looked last year at the barbie phone where you can kid on text message, may be suitable but is very pink or there are intercom phones like these

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9366721.htm

www.amazon.co.uk/Barbie-BR68-11-Pocket-Learner/dp/B005AETA5W/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

DamselNotInHerDress Sun 14-Dec-14 20:56:18

I was going to suggest walkie talkies as a phone replacement - not quite the same though.

But loads of great suggestions for a pampering set you can put together without any makeup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now