Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need to buy something else for 2 & 5 year olds

(24 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:24:38

They unexpectedly received £20 each today from a relative who wants me to get them a present. It's important to her that they have a gift rather than the money.

DD (5) is receiving lots (too much) of playmobil and I don't want to add to that. She's also getting a Tinker bell doll. She doesn't like Frozen.

DS is getting cars (and a garage) and trains. We have a lot of duplo already.

Any ideas for either of them? Or maybe a £40-£50 gift to share? Thanks

Tkmum23 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:30:31

How about scooters? Or a board game for 5 year old giant snakes and ladders for example?

MyIronLung Sat 13-Dec-14 20:31:24

A lovely double sided easel? My DS has the melissa and Doug one and it's so nice. cost about 50 on Amazon.

ILoveSimonCowell Sat 13-Dec-14 20:32:01

You could always use one of the pressies you've already bought for each of them and say it's from this person, and save the money for another time...

Or you could buy an easel, or a wigwam/playhouse thing or something bigger that they'd both use. Books?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:33:34

We have a nice easel (mostly ignored - must do something about that!). They're not having scooters at the moment (until bike riding is accomplished - mean parents!). A board game is a good idea. Do they just grow out of that awful needing to win thing, or is it a case of practising...?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:34:43

They're spoilt brats - already have a beautiful playhouse in the garden and a good sandpit. Not much room for anything else.

Giving one of our presents would be okay, but tbh, they've got very little anyway!

ILoveSimonCowell Sat 13-Dec-14 20:37:50

I suggest books then! Can't go wrong with those!

ChristmasJumperWearer Sat 13-Dec-14 20:38:52

How about some new clothes, shoes or boots? It's a "thing" they can unwrap, so you tick that box (although your DCs likely won't be impressed) but it's also something useful that isn't taking up space.

Skyland Sat 13-Dec-14 20:39:48

I would buy them some clothes with it. Character pyjamas and a soft toy from Disney shop.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 13-Dec-14 20:42:39

How about a trip somewhere? You can go to plays/theatres which run specific shows for toddlers and kids

MyIronLung Sat 13-Dec-14 20:42:48

I second books then. A book each and a game to share.

MyIronLung Sat 13-Dec-14 20:44:02

And as for winning. I'm much older and still quite enjoy winning grin

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:45:16

Boots or shoes are a good idea. Clothes would ever viewed with some disgust and I already have new pyjamas for them! We have many books.

I'll have a look for suitable sharing games.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 13-Dec-14 20:45:20

Clothes in the next size up?
Set of books each from the book people website?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:46:51

myiron, DH does too. I've never been that bothered so don't get it!

It's his job to teach her how to play chess. I notice he hasn't started this yet...

Singleandproud Sat 13-Dec-14 20:48:53

My DD loves Build a bear although the experience is much better if the make it themselves. Some arts and crafts stuff. The sets from early learning centre are good for a rainy day. Something from Brightminds website, they do slightly unusual educational toys

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 13-Dec-14 20:50:08

Oh she would LOVE Build a Bear. Is it a hugely unpleasant experience for the adult who has to take them though? Approximate cost?

MyIronLung Sat 13-Dec-14 20:59:08

Oh my gosh, what a cool job! I didn't even know that was an actual job (I feel happier knowing that someone is getting paid to teach chess) smile

I LOVE chess (and scrabble) I'm only 36...honest but have no one to play with anymore. When did we become a nation of people who don't know how to play these games?

<sorry for the total derail of your thread>

MyIronLung Sat 13-Dec-14 21:00:52

Ok...just read back what you said in your post blush

But chess teacher should be a job.

<quietly slinks away and puts down wine>

Iggly Sat 13-Dec-14 21:01:47

My dd's birthday was in december and she got money. So I just said existing presents were bought with the money and put the cash in her savings account. The contributor didn't know the truth and dd is only 3 so not bothered

ExtraVolume Sat 13-Dec-14 21:13:36

Orchard games are good.

When ds gets in a sulk about winning, I do an even bigger comedy "I wanted to WIIIIINNNNN!" tantrum and it usually raises a smile and discharges the atmosphere. Rather than pretending that winning doesn't matter, I think its good to acknowledge that everyone does. Also model good losing by saying "well played" etc.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 13-Dec-14 22:51:17

my dd's are 6 and 2 they would both love dressing up costumes (especially 2 yr old being like eldest!!), Disney figures/dvd of it, clothes/pjs with fav character, onesies (animal ones in particular) and tutus!!

other fav things (might be just my dd's)
how to train your dragon, pokemon, minions, my little pony or carebears grin the fart blaster was a huge birthday hit!!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 13-Dec-14 22:55:05

good games we play with dd's 6 and 2 are

monkey madness (lots of fun for both dd's)
snap
snakes and ladders
pop up pirate
chameleon crunch

ive bought hungry hippos and asked for junior monopoly and top trumps for them grin

TheHouseofMirth Sat 13-Dec-14 23:14:07

Some great non-competitive board games here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now