Talk

Advanced search

What are you getting your parents/PILS in their 60's?

(56 Posts)
AdamantEve Sat 13-Dec-14 17:49:31

I know it's a bit of a broad question and different men and women in their sixties like wildly different things BUT my PILS are going to have no gifts the way DP is going and I don't know what to get them!

I won't go into their likes an dislikes as they don't really seem to like anything in particular (I'm not being rude, they are lovely but have no interests much outside the grandchildren and watching TV).

So I am wondering if you can list what you are getting for your parents/PILS around this age group in the hope something inspires me/ DP who is actually responsible for their present buying!

Thank you!

juneau Sat 13-Dec-14 17:52:58

DF and DSM - a home-made hamper of food/drink from Waitrose and M&S
DM - a couple of books, some liquorice and a John Lewis voucher
DSF - a greenhouse heater!

PILS - usually get some kind of hamper that can be delivered (they live OS).

juneau Sat 13-Dec-14 17:54:27

P.S. I don't think you can go wrong with food and drink. If in doubt, this is my fall-back gift, particularly for this age group as they tend to have everything they want.

ChristmasJumperWearer Sat 13-Dec-14 17:56:34

National Trust membership, smellies (for DMum who never, ever buys anything for herself and deserves spoiling), good wine, and magazine subscriptions.

We've stopped buying them "stuff" that cannot be consumed, as they are all busy downsizing.

GoingToBedfordshire Sat 13-Dec-14 17:57:35

Couple of books - letters to the midwife and Andrew Marr's Histost of the World. Garden centre vouchers. Agree that food and drink are good bets.

thetooththewholetooth Sat 13-Dec-14 17:58:11

CD player thing for dmil, earrings, perfume and chocolate Brazil nuts for my dm

Loveleopardprint Sat 13-Dec-14 17:58:27

We always make a photo calendar for grandparents. They seem to really like them.

momwhereismy Sat 13-Dec-14 18:02:41

Tickets to a show for DM and df and small gift to open. Got my dad a Bluetooth speaker n prob a purse for mum.
In laws voucher for restaurant, bottle of fizz and a plant.

I just can't be bothered this year!

blacktreaclecat Sat 13-Dec-14 18:05:49

Mum- GH subscription, RHS wax lyrical reed diffuser, slippers, gardening gloves, photo calendar and photobook
MIL- sheepskin gloves, reed diffuser, photo calendar and book
Dad- golf book, Cape Town guide, framed aerial photo of their house, beers, silton, choc etc

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 13-Dec-14 18:06:27

Dad - a framed photo of him and the DC
Mum - nice notebook & some gin truffles

PIL - no idea, DH is buying for them

PickledLilly Sat 13-Dec-14 18:06:30

I second photo calendar, vistaprint usually have quite good deals

FelixFelixNavidad Sat 13-Dec-14 18:08:06

My Dad is getting a Burtons voucher, three bottles of different flavoured cider, a bar of Turkish Delight chocolate and a bag of Wine Gums.

callmekitten Sat 13-Dec-14 18:43:54

A selection of fancy food and drink. If I get my Mom anything that's not consumable, I just get it back in 6 months time. I suppose I could start picking out things for her that I would like to have....

HeyMicky Sat 13-Dec-14 18:48:47

MIL - a glass ornament she requested.
FIL - gardening book
DM - champagne stopper and trinket box

Calendars of the grandchildren all round

Stevie77 Sat 13-Dec-14 18:51:53

MIL - theatre tickets probably
FIL - CDs he's requested

HicDraconis Sat 13-Dec-14 18:54:27

Dad - voucher for local kitchen gadget shop, plus contribution to something my sister is getting him (can't remember what now though!)

FiL - multiphoto frame with pics of the boys in

MiL - mobile phone cover, Christmas tree ornament, 2 fridge magnet photo frames with pics of boys in

AvonCallingBarksdale Sat 13-Dec-14 18:56:08

DM and DF - one of those personalised, framed posters from "not on the high street", where it starts with Granny and Grandad love... and then you list lots of stuff and it gets artistically arranged. They love that sort of thing smile
MIL - something gardeny

Allalonenow Sat 13-Dec-14 18:59:00

I love to get,
Photos of grandson especially in a frame
Amazon e vouchers to spend on my Kindle books
Christmas flowers
Posh chocolates
Stilton and port
Afternoon tea (or cocktails!) out with DS & DDiL

IslaMann Sat 13-Dec-14 18:59:01

DF - bottle of Hendricks gin and a decent tonic
DM - Pyjamas (she asks for them every year, and never buys them for herself).

PILs are no longer with us.

Caravanoflove Sat 13-Dec-14 18:59:29

A swanky computer. My dads is from the 90's! He uses it a lot but won't upgrade as it does the job!

NoNaeNever Sat 13-Dec-14 19:06:13

Got an amazing personalised bookmark for my mum from little red Robin jewellery website, worth having a look, they do loads of metal gifts and really good value.

Other things for dm and pil:

Various books depending on their interests.
Framed photo of their grandkids
Voucher for favourite restaurant
Subscription for a relevant magazine
Earrings
Special fudge
Dvd of favourite singer
Posh towels

MrsMot Sat 13-Dec-14 19:09:50

A slow cooker

ToffeeCaramel Sat 13-Dec-14 19:13:29

I bought my mum this scarf from Next and for my dad i bought a book from Waterstones with photos of London throughout the 20th century. They are only tree presents as we do secret santa for adults in my family and I am buying for my sister this year.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 13-Dec-14 19:14:43

National trust membership - add grandchildren on for only a couple of pounds

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Dec-14 19:16:37

School photos

PIL are particular about what they eat - same meals, same day for 40 years, don't like good that is too rich or too spicy and still think pasta os foreign.
In the past, NT, English Heritage and RSPB membership have gone unused and clothes unworn, I think they buy every book they want as soon as it is published. Not keen on theatre as they don't like driving at night.

So now they get school photos of the dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now