Talk

Advanced search

Do Your Parents Spend The Same Amount On You For Christmas As They Do Your Children?

(45 Posts)
Blessedandgrateful Sat 13-Dec-14 10:49:36

Do your parents spend the same amount on you for Christmas as they do your children? Or do they spend less on you? What do you think / feel about this ?

mrsfarquhar Sat 13-Dec-14 10:55:15

Yes they do roughly. I don't really feel anything. I don't feel anything about Christmas presents in general, I really enjoy buying them, don't care if anyone buys me anything or not, including DH!

SouthernOne Sat 13-Dec-14 11:02:10

They spend more on the kids, always have done.

I'm quite happy with this

candykane25 Sat 13-Dec-14 11:05:03

More on the grandchildren but my mum is still quite generous on us as well. I have told her not to spend a lot on us though.
My in laws are very generous to us but myDH is an only and I think that makes a difference.

Skyland Sat 13-Dec-14 11:07:14

We don't buy for adults so only the kids get presents from wider family. Much easier for everyone.

Mydelilah Sat 13-Dec-14 11:07:42

Since the DC arrived they've spent less on us so they can spend more on the kids - which is exactly as it should be imo wink

SeeChooJimmy Sat 13-Dec-14 11:11:18

My mum spends way more on mu 3dds than me and dh but we still all get spoilt rotten, she's a law to her own at Christmas and goes mental buying presents.

dhs parents spend loads on dh and his sisters, dd1&2 get around the same, dd3 gets a ridiculous amount as shes her nanas golden girl, but dd1 &2 dont mind they have other close relatives that give each of them a little extra it all evens out.

PesoPenguin Sat 13-Dec-14 11:21:56

More on the kids which we prefer anyway.

JuniperTisane Sat 13-Dec-14 11:26:52

We get nothing by choice. The boys get approximately 50 gazillion billion pounds spent on every plastic piece of crap and noisy toy available, much to their delight...

CointreauVersial Sat 13-Dec-14 11:56:56

They spend way more on us. Their view is that the DCs get presents from everywhere, but we don't, so they like to spoil us. They are very generous.

Apricota Sat 13-Dec-14 12:23:26

No more on kids and my other siblings!

OfficerKaren Sat 13-Dec-14 12:34:02

My mum has stopped buying for adults and I'm glad.

pressone Sat 13-Dec-14 12:42:48

My mum spends exactly the same amount on all her children and grandchildren (including step Grandchildren) and I mean EXACTLY - to the extent that someone always gets a penny or two pence piece in their present to make the total spend the same for each person! Youngest grandchild is 18 and oldest child (me) is 49 and she has always been the same.

SevenSwansASwimming Sat 13-Dec-14 15:04:01

Mine spend a fortune on my DCs, tbh I wish they buy less. DH always thinks they're trying to out-do us, on DD1s first Christmas we bought her a dress and a £10 activity toy. They turned up with an enormous sack full of presents for her, she was only 4 weeks old fconfused

shelfontheelf Sat 13-Dec-14 15:04:50

Way more on the kids, but that's how it should be.

zzzzz Sat 13-Dec-14 15:11:52

I have no idea.

larry5 Sat 13-Dec-14 16:09:47

My parents have always spent more on their children than the grandchildren. They never spent a lot on any of us except nearly every year one of their children would get a bigger present or some extra money if they thought that we needed it. So some years I have been fortunate to get a cheque for up to £1000. They can't afford to do that every year and because of that none of us expect to get a large amount but it is a lovely surprise the year that you get it.

Blessedandgrateful Sat 13-Dec-14 16:16:44

I'm still not sure how I feel about my DP spending more on the DC.
Don't get me wrong I understand it ... I'm just not sure if I will do the same if and when I'm a grandmother.

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 13-Dec-14 16:28:52

More on the kids probably.

Us adults do a secret Santa so only one present each with a set budget. Much simpler.

Keep dropping hints that that's what dh's family should do as they spend ridiculous amounts of money (imo) on each other. And I say that because dh will, if he sees something he wants, well he just buys it. But I may be a bit of a grinch as I always think it's about the thought put into giving a gift tailored to a person rather than the amount given/recieved if that makes sense?

Oh I sound miserable. I don't mean to.
I'll skulk back to my grinch like cave

fsmile

Mehitabel6 Sat 13-Dec-14 16:28:59

The same.

marne2 Sat 13-Dec-14 17:17:01

About the same, around £10-£20 I think.

Artandco Sat 13-Dec-14 17:22:16

More on the children. Exactly how I would expect. They usually get us a bottle of champagne or similar, and buy the kids designer clothes, wooden toys rtc

PureMorning Sat 13-Dec-14 17:22:23

Parents spend £40 on each of us kids and probably double on all the grandkids.
Pil do the same

Chandon Sat 13-Dec-14 17:23:51

I am do glad the thought in the OP has never even occurred to me.

What a way to live, measuring up everyone and everything

OddBoots Sat 13-Dec-14 17:26:11

Children get 'proper' presents and adults exchange little things from Poundland etc so they spend more on the children but that is fine, we treat them the same as they treat us and I like being on an equal footing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now