Talk

Advanced search

There really is nothing my dc need for Xmas.

(6 Posts)
dingit Fri 12-Dec-14 17:37:23

They both got big birthday gifts this year. ( ipod touch dd, tv, ds)
I'm doing them a stocking. I'm thinking just a couple of bits, dd has a PC game, not sure what to get ds.
Then in the summer they can have some money for their holiday in USA. ( this is a special holiday, we don't do it every year)
Is that enough? They are 13 and 16.

bryonyelf Fri 12-Dec-14 17:38:25

Can you give them dollars for Christmas?

iwantavuvezela Fri 12-Dec-14 17:41:33

Can you give "vouchers/note" for things to do in the USA e.g. Entrance for an attraction.
Do they have suitcases for travelling
Little head cushions for flight
Head phones to use on flight
Backpack or daypack for travelling

Think of some things they may need for their trip to USA and give those!

Bluecarrot Fri 12-Dec-14 17:42:03

Clothes? Pyjamas? Nice hair or body wash stuff that's a bit more special than the ones you buy regularly? Book about where you are going in USA? (Lonely planet type) so they can look at it and get excited smile

dingit Fri 12-Dec-14 17:46:39

Dollars is a great idea, then they can't spend it here.
Guide book already bought, dh and I are so excited!
They have PJs in their Xmas Eve bag ( only just started that, thanks to mumsnet)
I think the exchange rate isn't bad at the moment. Happy days. Thanks ladies.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:00

I love Christmas but when my DC were really young their dad walked out. We had no money the first Christmas. Tax credits had us under investigation for fraud because our annual renewal in the post crossed with my application as a single parent when he walked out and resulted in three months of stopped payments. They were so little they didn't notice that lots of the bits they had was cleaned up stuff and mummy makes bits wrapped up. Things have eased year on year and I remarried.

Long and short is I have three now 11, 8 and 3 and they get stockings plus a small lego set or similar for Christmas. They get bigger bits for birthdays or saved up for when they are needed. But because Christmas was frugal when they were little I've never really ramped up.

Christmas without the big present pressure is lovely family time. They get very excited about stockings and don't do without generally so don't appear to feel peer pressure that they should be getting more.

If this is a one off and a change to usual arrangements, a perfectly reasonable one IMHO, would it be worth explaining that presents are going to be lower key this year because money is put by for spends on Holiday? Save any Christmas day strops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now