Talk

Advanced search

present for my dad help help help please!

(15 Posts)
dynevoran Thu 11-Dec-14 21:43:53

I always find it a nightmare to buy presents for my dad. I think the last few years I ended up getting cookbooks. Does anyone have any ideas? Please! He is mid 60s, likes gardening, drinking, cooking, golf and he and my mum do a lot of walking holidays...any suggestions very very gratefully received.

mummylin2495 Thu 11-Dec-14 21:58:29

I have ordered a golfing figure from this company for mybrother it's going to be delivered in Xmas weeks that is when I want it,there are some very nice things here and if your dad likes gardening and golf it's ideal. It comes with a plant. My sister bough one of the double ones for us, they are very well made .
here

Browneyesblue Thu 11-Dec-14 23:19:26

I got a whisky tasting set from my dad. I got one from John Lewis last year, and I used a link on the Christmas thread to order one from Flavier this year - it was £10 off.

Browneyesblue Thu 11-Dec-14 23:20:12

*for my dad

mupperoon Thu 11-Dec-14 23:26:19

I have bought a lovely big globe from John Lewis for my dad. Mainly to annoy my mum who will say there's no room for it (because every surface is covered with her craft stuff).

The two previous years I bought him a fedora and a wide brimmed hat, also to annoy her! Evil daughter.

dynevoran Fri 12-Dec-14 13:47:15

Thanks for such great ideas. I think the whiskey tasting set or globe would be perfect.

BlueChampagne Fri 12-Dec-14 13:52:24

Jim Murray's Whisky book (updated annually)
Nice bottle(s) of wine
Fancy wine glasses - the right shape for his favourite
Good walking socks or day pack
Kendal mint cake!
Magazine subscription (my Dad always gets Private Eye for Christmas)

whimsical1975 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:41:19

Pasta making machine?

wyldstile Fri 12-Dec-14 15:43:54

Birdbox with camera inside. My parents spend HOURS staring at a grainy screen waiting for something to happen.

darlingfascistbullyboy Fri 12-Dec-14 15:51:23

I bought my dad a new trilby & guitar strings this year. Last year was binoculars & posh walking socks (also a bird watcher/walker), the year before that a tool bag & beer!

florentina1 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:39:39

Does he like real ale. Lots of independent breweries do gift packs

dynevoran Fri 12-Dec-14 18:15:34

So many great ideas. I'll be good for a few birthdays and christmasses to come. I am not awaiting delivery of a birdbox with camera for this coming Christmas. He is going to love it almost as much as ds will his hot wheels colour change set! Thanks wyldstile.

dynevoran Fri 12-Dec-14 18:16:17

Should read now awaiting instead of not awaiting. Doh.

dingit Fri 12-Dec-14 18:18:09

I've bought my parents RHS and National Trust membership. You usually get a gift with them too.
This year they have a digital picture frame we are going to preload.

wyldstile Fri 12-Dec-14 19:39:11

Glad to have been of service. Honestly, my parents send me email updates... "Mrs bluetit has been out for nest materials 27 times since 9am. Photo attached." (Photo of their tv screen, taken on a mobile, showing various shades of grey and some blobs...)

" six eggs! Can't book holiday yet in case we miss them hatching"

Etc. Bless the old dears!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now