Talk

Advanced search

What's on you christmas food shopping list?

(14 Posts)
marne2 Thu 11-Dec-14 21:02:37

I have been adding to my online food shop for a few weeks now but not sure if I have forgot anything. What's on your shopping lists? What are the must haves for Christmas dinner at home and Boxing Day family buffet ( plus all the yummy treats to munch on over Christmas )?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 11-Dec-14 21:19:09

I don't do online food shopping unless i'm not able to get to shops so alot of my list will be impulse buys blush but I've got my Nectar Points so I'm excused.

We'll have 6 adults and 2 DC (15 and 12.6) for Christmas Eve,Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

I'm making a steak pie (ha! wish me luck, I'm a vegetarian) for the meat eaters and Linda Mc /Quorn pies for the rest, chips, peas

Christmas Day turkey crown and a Quorn Roast (with all the trimmings)
Christmas Pudding

Boxing Day we'll have a huge fried brunch before they head off

So, on my list:

veg, - potatoes,carrot,parsnips,swede,roast potato,Yorkshire Puddings, red cabbage , sprouts, bread sauce, gravy, cranberry sauce

Have you got crackers (the pulling kind)
glasses
all your drinks
all your plates/bowls/cutlery
serving platters

chocolates smile
cheese and savoury crackers

washing up liquid/dishwasher tablets
binbags
sealed containers for leftovers

candles and matches

painkillers
plasters

nice bubblebath

StockingFullOfCoal Thu 11-Dec-14 21:40:42

I've asked DSis to come for Christmas Day this year and what her must haves are for it to feel Christmassy - we've not spent it together since we were kids (shes a fair bit younger than me and I left our Mums at 16 to move in with our Dad) and she's asked for Orange Matchmakers, After Eights and Pringles grin cheapest dinner guest ever!

Home made piccalilli, honey roasted ham, prawn cocktail, lots of cheese, crusty bread, mountains of stuffing, thick gravy, buttery mash and goose fat roasties are an absolute must over Christmas for me.

LIttleMissTickles Fri 12-Dec-14 09:15:26

70, that's a great list, just what I needed, thank you!

TheOnlyPink Fri 12-Dec-14 10:15:30

On my tesco order I have:
Soft drinks. Kids are allowed fizz on Christmas and we have a good few drivers/non drinkers, plus mixers.
Cereal. We each get a box of our favourites.
Cinnamon and raisin bagels
Cherry jam
Red onion relish and chilli jam for cheese
Crackers for cheese
Pate
Ready made gravy (the naive chilled tesco finest) in case we run out, always goes quick in my house!
Cream
Brandy butter
Bailey's cream (boak, but people love it!)
Bread
Goose fat
Pringles
Tayto (irish crisps)

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but that might help someone!

TheOnlyPink Fri 12-Dec-14 10:16:24

Naive gravy = naice gravy!

Lottie4 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:23:09

Don't forget foil, cling film and xmas crackers!

Xmas will be a bit more basic this year foodwise, but basically some nibbles for visitors on Xmas Eve, potatoes, carrots, sprouts, stuffing, gravy and meat followed by xmas pudd and brandy sauce - some may like custard or other options, similar on boxing day. For tea cold meat, cheese, crackers, crusty bread, pickles, crisps. I'll make sure I have mince pies in, crisps and a couple of bottles of mulled wine for last minute visitors. I also have a frozen cheesecake just in case. We always fancy something completely different by the 27/28th Dec, so tend to do something tasty like a curry or stir fry.

BedPig2013 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:27:14

I'm trying to do Christmas dinner as cheap as possible and just a normal roast really because there is only immediate family and I'll be cooking all by myself while entertaining dd so on my list is:
Small turkey crown
2x packs of chipolatas
pack of bacon
potatoes
carrots
parsnips
onions
broccoli
cabbage
stuffing mix or maybe home made
knorr stock pots

Other bits will be:
Cheese
crackers
chocolates
meringues
cream

nikki1978 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:30:08

Xmas Day is at MILs so I am just buying for Boxing Day lunch. I am doing a glazed ham, jackets pots, quiche (for veggies), salad and coleslaw plus some bread and cheeses. Might do a pudding but not sure what, just something light and simple.

marne2 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:49:38

Thank you, I think I gave most things on my list, I'm not ordering the turkey with my online shop as I like to see what I'm buying. It's only the 4 of Christmas Day but Boxing Day there will be 7 of us and I usually just do party food so people can pick at things ( as we havn't got enough room to sit at the table ). We are having homemade pizza on Christmas Eve ( dd1's choice ). I need to sort my freezer out to make room for party food and par baked bread for Boxing Day. I tend not to buy chocolates as we will probably get given some, cheese is important and nice chutney grin.

Greigorysgirl Fri 12-Dec-14 12:04:56

The Christmas food shop is my favourite shop of the year! Along with all the Christmas Lunch ingredients we also make sure we have plenty of cheese, digestive biscuits and crackers, good french butter, part bake baguettes (in case we run out of bread and for boxing day leftover sandwiches!). Ice! Beer, bottle of Baileys, glass bottles of Diet Coke, Appletiser and my husbands favourite, Shloer.
I also go to M&S and pick up one of their Yule Logs, Pitta Chips, Crisps and Dips, and some party food (like mini pies) to pop in the oven should anyone get hungry?! We dont like to leave the house after Christmas Eve until the 27th!

desperatehousewife21 Fri 12-Dec-14 12:19:11

We're going to my mums for xmas dinner so don't need to buy that but wanted to do something for the 4 of us on Xmas eve so will be doing ham in coke with egg and chips.
Cider in the eve for me and dh grin

Xmas day morning we'll have a brunch type thing with their fav cereals, OJ, toast and croissants. Then things like crisps, selection boxes and nuts for picking til we leave for my mums.

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Fri 12-Dec-14 12:20:32

Useful thread smile I haven't done anything yet and need to get my head in order. On my list:

Turkey crown
Spuds
Veg
Milk and flour (for yorkshires)
Chipolatas
Parma ham

Wine (fizzy and non)
Beers
Nice juice

Cream
Fancy ice cream

Cheese
Crackers
Chutney

Bagels
Cream cheese
Silly cereal for the DC

Christmas crackers

Posh cat food grin

I'm sure I've forgotten something...

marne2 Fri 12-Dec-14 12:58:32

Thank you, we don't really drink so I have ordered more nice food to make up for the lack of booze grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now