Talk

Advanced search

Creative suggestions for my son!

(14 Posts)
Lilicat1013 Thu 11-Dec-14 12:49:11

I was wondering if anyone had any creative suggestions for my son, I have finished his Christmas shopping but other people are asking me to choose things for him and I need to add to his wishlist ready for his birthday. It takes so long to think of things I probably need to start now.

He is four nearly five and has autism and global developmental delay. He enjoys letters and numbers, animals, books with busy pictures and electronic toys.

The problem is he doesn't have any imaginative play or any play at all really. He mostly likes to organise his toys.

At home he enjoys:

Playing with magnetic letters and numbers - just lining them up on his bed.

Playing with plastic animals, he has a Trofast drawer of small animals and a medium tub of larger animals. I always buy him a few Schleich animals but it isn't something other people tend to choose for him as you don't get much for your money. As with the letters he likes lining them up and organising them.

He has a toy food he likes, again with the lining them up. He ignores other toy food aside from this one ultra realistic set.

He likes little characters, we have a set of Busy Book figures and Moshi Monsters in a tub which he really likes.

He loves Playmobil but not generally the sets, he mostly plays with the food or animals figures (doesn't like the human ones) for that reason it is more productive to buy from their accessories range or on eBay which rules out putting it on his wishlist.

He loves books, he can't follow a story but enjoys ones that show the alphabet or are about numbers. He likes busy, detailed pictures where there is a lot to look at. He enjoys Peppa Pig books but doesn't like the programme.

He likes cause and effect things but gets bored quickly. He loves button pressing toys. He basically wants sets of things that he can line up and look at.

He has and mainly ignores: wooden railway, Duplo, Thomas take 'n' Play, WOW toys, Fisher Price Little People. toy kitchen and accessories, assorted toy vehicles, Megabloks, a doll, paints, wooden blocks, music toys and jigsaws.

I am on a mission to find new suggestions for him after realising he is getting five new Leappad games (not just from me) that I know about for Christmas and I don't want it to be the same for his birthday. He does love the Leappad and Ipad but I don't want him to be always at a screen.

I thought I would post on here to see if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you so much to anyone who is willing to give it a go.

marne2 Thu 11-Dec-14 13:40:34

Magnetic letter board from ELC

Leap frog do a letter thing that goes on the fridge ( you put the different letter in and it sounds them out ).

Leap frog also do a little electric writing board where you write the letter and it sounds it out ( I will see if I can find a link ).

Light up pillow from argos ( got my dd one for Christmas )

Talking tins ( another of my daughters favourites ), they are voice recorders, on Amazon I think.

Lego/duplo

Bilibo ( think that's how it's spelt )

Playdough is always popular here.

'Sensory toy warehouse' are great for little fidget toys.

marne2 Thu 11-Dec-14 13:42:06

leap pad writing pad

marne2 Thu 11-Dec-14 13:46:20

bilibo ours gets used a lot for spinning and various other things.

olbas Thu 11-Dec-14 13:52:38

Ds1 (he has aspergers) loved this at your son's age

jThompson Thu 11-Dec-14 13:54:01

I know where you are coming from, so many toys for his age are not suited to my ds either for similar reasons.

I'd second the sensory toys. Bilibo has been used loads here and a pop up tent for a calm down space too. Hawkins bizzar also have lots of little fidgets in, my ds loves the bendy men and anything that lights up. He has a ball which lights up when it bounces which is a particular favourite. Wind up torches are also handy, mostly so I'm not constantly charging batteries. Things like the bubble tubes or star projectors can be nice and calming too.

Perhaps something like a simple marble run or a gears set would appeal to his sense of linning up.

thegreylady Thu 11-Dec-14 13:54:23

There is a Melissa and Doug alphabet stamp set that he might enjoy.

ILoveSimonCowell Thu 11-Dec-14 13:58:35

Have a look at Richard Scarry's books. They are great with loads of detailed pictures.
www.amazon.co.uk/Cars-Trucks-Things-that-Go/dp/0007357389/ref=asap_B000AQ3290_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418296512&sr=1-1

drinkyourmilk Thu 11-Dec-14 13:59:53

Bath toys? Funnels and spouts and the like.

Does he like putting things in drawers? Thinking of the wooden drawer type advent calenders you can get- he can put the letters etc in them.

Does he have a music box - you can get ones that are like a mirror with dancing wooden animals on.

Bubble machine.

story/music cds.

A swing for the garden if that's possible? People can club together.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Thu 11-Dec-14 14:04:06

How about the Where's Wally? books? Would be enjoy searching for Wally - I think there's a lot of other detail in the pictures to look at too.

Onelittlepiglet Thu 11-Dec-14 14:05:43

Two books he might like are:

Just imagine which has busy cartoon pictures showing lots of choices for things like houses to live in, places to go! jobs to do etc and the idea is your child chooses which one they like/want/want to be etc. my dd has loved it ever since she was 2 or 3 and still loves it now at 4.

zoology beautiful illustrations of lots of different animals all sorted into their types page by page. It's a big book - bigger than A4 so lovely to look at.

Does he like play doh? Might be good to get some imaginative play going.

Melissa and Doug do sets of animals which come in a little display case type thing - pasture pals he might like this as each one has it's own slot to go in.

lacing beads this set has numbers which he could thread in order?

Orchard toys do lots of great games which my dd loves at the moment. alphabet lotto is a current favorite and might be good if he enjoys letters.

Hope these are useful! Good luck.

Onelittlepiglet Thu 11-Dec-14 14:05:43

Two books he might like are:

Just imagine which has busy cartoon pictures showing lots of choices for things like houses to live in, places to go! jobs to do etc and the idea is your child chooses which one they like/want/want to be etc. my dd has loved it ever since she was 2 or 3 and still loves it now at 4.

zoology beautiful illustrations of lots of different animals all sorted into their types page by page. It's a big book - bigger than A4 so lovely to look at.

Does he like play doh? Might be good to get some imaginative play going.

Melissa and Doug do sets of animals which come in a little display case type thing - pasture pals he might like this as each one has it's own slot to go in.

lacing beads this set has numbers which he could thread in order?

Orchard toys do lots of great games which my dd loves at the moment. alphabet lotto is a current favorite and might be good if he enjoys letters.

Hope these are useful! Good luck.

Lilicat1013 Thu 11-Dec-14 14:22:31

Thank you for all the great suggestions I have found lots of things to add!

The alphabet stamps are a great idea, he has an enjoys the animal stamps from the same range. I didn't realise they did alphabet ones.

The Talking Tin is also great he has only echolalic speech (it means he only says phrases he is copying from somewhere like TV, he doesn't make up sentences on his own) he often wants me to repeat back to him what he says. I think he would enjoy recording himself and playing his own voice back.

The light up pillow is a lovely idea, I will definitely add that he loves his pillows. He has some pop up tents already and loves to drag as many blankets and pillows in as possible.

The book suggestions are great, I have considered Where's Wally and my Mum got him the Peppa Pig version for Christmas so I might add some of the other Where's Wally to his wishlist. I don't think he would understand the concept but he would like the pictures.

The Richard's Scarry books look great, just the sort of thing he likes. I will get getting him The Night Before Christmas one for right now and can add some of the others to his list.

The Zoology book is lovely as well, I am sure he would really enjoy that.

Thank you for the brilliant suggestions, I really appreciate them.

katespate Thu 11-Dec-14 21:44:42

Plastic Money and a coin tray?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now