Talk

Advanced search

Easy/foolproof mulled wine recipe?

(15 Posts)
Davros Wed 10-Dec-14 23:27:11

Want to make my own this year. Any tips?

Mrsbaconandbeans Thu 11-Dec-14 07:17:50

I like this one fwink www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/jamie-s-mulled-wine/

spleenyone Thu 11-Dec-14 07:22:52

I think we use the recipe on the Schwartz mulled wine spice sachet box. Is delicious.

colleysmill Thu 11-Dec-14 07:22:55

I have a smashing one from a very old receive book of my grandfather's. The only problem is it will ruin all other mulled wine you ever drink. I'll be back on a bit to post it!

icklekid Thu 11-Dec-14 07:25:47

Ohh marking place for colleysmill recipe. We normally just use sachets but were going to try jamie Oliver one this weekend. ..

colleysmill Thu 11-Dec-14 10:08:11

Ok this is from Purnell' s Complete Cookery (big old 70's cook book that has a receipe for pretty much anything)

4 fl oz water
1 lemon sliced (sometimes I miss this out though)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon cloves
3oz sugar
Bottle of claret
16 floz pineapple juice
8fl oz orange juice

Boil the water spices and lemon first and then add the juice and claret simmering gently

I often add a dash of brandy at the end.

Bliss. Never fails!

colleysmill Thu 11-Dec-14 10:11:08

(Its the pineapple juice that makes the difference I've found)

Davros Thu 11-Dec-14 12:13:05

Thanks so much. I will try coleysmill's recipe and have a look at Jamie's. I didn't know you could buy sachetsblush. DH has git a Thermomix so plan to keep it at right temp in that if he lets me

BlueChampagne Thu 11-Dec-14 12:48:59

I've used Orange Zinger tea bags in the past ...

colleysmill Thu 11-Dec-14 20:49:37

Really hope you enjoy it smile you'll have to report back!

Davros Thu 11-Dec-14 20:53:39

I will if I can remember anything! grin

ItsaboatJack Thu 11-Dec-14 21:49:07

Pineapple juice, hmm. Not something I would have thought of myself, I may give it a whirl at the weekend

Mousefinkle Fri 12-Dec-14 09:27:50

I just add teaspoon of nutmeg, tbsp cinnamon, tsp ground ginger, tsp ground cloves, a cinnamon stick, half cup of sugar and couple pieces of star anise to red wine in a pot on the hob. Leave it simmering for 20 mins, tastes delicious!

Davros Fri 12-Dec-14 11:11:41

What sort of price wine do you buy? DH is a wine buff so I won't be using any of his and I'm hopeless at buying red wine. Any suggestions?

colleysmill Mon 15-Dec-14 18:24:21

I use a Lidl own brand one - cimarose I think it's called. Personally I like the cabernet sauvignon that comes in around four quid. It tastes fairly decent for the price. You can tell if you use really cheapo plonk but it's still drinkable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now