Talk

Advanced search

Ooh, a present related dilemma...what to do??

(12 Posts)
FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 10-Dec-14 23:13:25

So, we do secret Santa for the adults. There's a €100 limit on the spend, and my brother has told me what he wants. First part of the present is sorted, €30, the second part is €70 so bang on. But, the shop where I got the second part (a sports store) was having a special offer, buy one get one half price. I need new runners, the ones I wanted were also in the offer, so I got them. I've just realised that my brother's item was the cheaper one, so it was actually half price. Do I have to go buy him something else for €35, or can I claim that as "my" saving on my runners?? Or do I split the difference?

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 10-Dec-14 23:14:50

Should have said, although I need the runners, I don't need them imminently so I would have held off until the new year to get them if I wasn't getting the brother's present (in case that sways the vote my way!).

MrsRaegan Wed 10-Dec-14 23:14:55

I wouldn't do anything. He's got his present and you got a treat.

It's a win win!

SantasBassoon Wed 10-Dec-14 23:18:17

There is no quandary. He gets €70 worth of trainers, you were lucky enough to get a bargain on your own shoes at the same time.

TInselaffe Wed 10-Dec-14 23:19:22

Depends how much you like your brother! grin

If you were going to get your shoes anyway then I'd be tempted to spend the saving on him. At the very least I'd split it and get him something small extra.

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Dec-14 23:20:16

His were only half price because you paid for yours, so you still spent the money for him.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 10-Dec-14 23:25:43

I love it when a thread goes my way grin. Tbh, it's more coming up with a bloody idea for what to get him, even his wife is drawing blanks. I know, I'll make him a box of fudge and stick it in the toes of his shoes!

OverAndAbove Thu 11-Dec-14 06:26:09

Fudge shoes! The gift that keeps on giving grin

LuckyLopez Thu 11-Dec-14 06:30:11

Doesn't sound a very 'secret' Santa?! Ha

sandgrown Thu 11-Dec-14 06:31:39

I always feel guilty when I get a saving on a gift and end up buying something else which is why I have no money! Your brother has got what he wanted and you got the bonus of new shoes. Don't worry smile

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Thu 11-Dec-14 10:50:39

The rule in my house is that I count every present at its full price then whatever I have saved is a bonus. Otherwise someone may end up getting lots of their presents reduced and therefore get loads more if someone else's gifts were full price!

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Thu 11-Dec-14 13:18:41

Luckylopez we've found a very useful online thing that pairs up the giver and receiver and allows the receiver to send an email wishlist without knowing who it's going to! It's the first year we've actually kept it a secret!

My sugar thermometer has just arrived from the good people at Amazon, so I have a great excuse to make fudge and give him a bonus box fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now