Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone's teen boy not getting a 'big' present?!

(19 Posts)
rollonthesummer Wed 10-Dec-14 21:56:37

It's generally worked put that DS has had a biggish pressie most years-DS, iPod touch, tablet, phone, computer...

This year, money is more tight. He would quite like a laptop, I think- but doesn't desperately need one as he had an expensive graphics card for his pc for his recent birthday. He isn't into clothes, brands, football etc but does want 'something'!! I think he might be concerned about telling his school friends (who appear to all be getting iPhone 5s, 6s or xbox ones) that he didn't get anything cool.

He doesn't really want anything else though, so what CAN I actually get him?! I don't want to be in the habit- and can't afford- to get something outstanding every year but don't want to make him miserable. He's a good boy-doesn't ask for much really but we can't really afford a laptop this year sad He is 13...

LoveVintage Wed 10-Dec-14 22:35:24

Our DS 2 who is also 13, isn't getting a big present. In recent t years he's had an Xbox and a tablet for Christmas. We did ask if he'd like to upgrade his tablet but he is happy with the one he. Has.

He had no ideas, so we have got him a microscope, chemistry set and a camera thing with software for making animations, none of which were massively expensive. We might give him some money too as there is bound t o be a new Xbox game out before his next birthday on August. He doesn't give a hoot what his friends might think of what he gets.

Our DS 1, w hi us 15, on the other hand does care, far too much for my liking. We are probably giving him money,which I hate doing but he has all the gadgets he needs and will probably buy massively oveprpriced clothes. He unhappy as when he told me that his friend us getting £300, I choked on my coffee and said a very rude word so he us feeling hard done by. I bloody hate it when they get to this stage.

rollonthesummer Wed 10-Dec-14 22:48:51

Bloody hell-£300?! I was thinking more like £50 sad

I just don't know what to do.

Where did you get the camera thing from to do animations- that sounds good?!

SugarplumKate Thu 11-Dec-14 07:52:29

Mine (14) is getting a controller for his PS4 and a game, so not big but bl**dy expensive at £40 each (plus some Santa presents which includes a pair of jeans which he does need, but are now £30 as he is in adult sizes). I'm sure he will tell me about kids at school getting iPhone 6s etc but luckily he understands the value of money - the 18 months saving up for his PS4 and new tv by saving all his christ,as/birthday money and doing lots of babysitting and other jobs was very helpful in this!!

LoveVintage Thu 11-Dec-14 16:34:17

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/HUE-Animation-Studio-Windows-Apple/dp/B0049TQQ1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418315553&sr=8-1&keywords=animation+camera]]

DH who knows more about these thibgs says it looks quite good, and, it's half price too.

KittiesInsane Thu 11-Dec-14 16:40:01

Ours is so far getting a guitar stand and a jumper. Oops.

Could be time to buy him a ukulele?

Draylon Thu 11-Dec-14 17:57:47

A driving lesson for kids? Loads of sites around the country, and Groupon generally have deals on.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 11-Dec-14 21:25:05

My DS is 15 (December birthday) we got 3 for 2 on the Young Driver (2 for DS , one for DD)

He has 2 a year, really enjoys them.
He's had a couple of X-Box games, (he bought the X-Box One himself) has a phone, doesn't find clothes exciting, wouldn't recognise Superdry or Hollister if it bit him.

So this year, I;m not doing well with his list he hasn't actually written one

geogteach Thu 11-Dec-14 21:34:24

Think i'm going to get my DS 13 a ticket to climb over the o2.

HmmAnOxfordComma Fri 12-Dec-14 09:27:11

Ds is 14 and doesn't want anything for Christmas. So we've bought him an XBox game we think he'll like, slippers, quite a few books and that's about it.

Family are mostly giving him cinema vouchers as he likes to go a lot (on his own).

Difficult though if money is the issue rather than indifference on the part of the child to wanting/needing anything...

3nationsfamily Fri 12-Dec-14 09:40:57

What about tickets to a concert or a sports event/ match- 13 is a good age to experience live music/ sport for the first time.

madsadbad Fri 12-Dec-14 11:12:00

Could you get him one of those experiences like indoor sky diving, there are loads to choose from.

TheScottishPlay Sat 13-Dec-14 20:58:37

What about a reconfitioned laptop or could grandparents contribute as part of their present to him?

tassisssss Sat 13-Dec-14 21:01:12

Same for our ds. He's getting fifa 15 for the x-box and a super dry hoodie and some wee bits and bobs like a water gun.

In total I've spent a fair amount but in my head a wee game and a hoodie should cost about £30 (now I sound exactly like my mother!).

Oh well, I know he'll be happy.

AuntieStella Sat 13-Dec-14 21:01:56

One of mine had a major tech upgrade earlier in the year, and knew part of the deal was a lesser Christmas present.

I've got him a Tetris Lamp

tassisssss Sat 13-Dec-14 21:02:41

(now contemplating ukulele...!)

Jellified Sat 13-Dec-14 21:06:58

Ds2 (14) wants money to get himself an amp and a loop pedal. Has been waiting since he bought himself a new guitar in the summer. Hasn't given any other suggestions but will probably be happy with some me books, clothes and music.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 13-Dec-14 21:16:05

what about a capture device that he can then use to make movies on his PC?

like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Dazzle-Video-Creator-Platinum/dp/B00191BHT2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418505197&sr=8-5&keywords=dazzle+video+capture+device

574ejones Sun 14-Dec-14 06:56:26

I have a DS17 who is getting a PS4 game, some PJs and £60 because he couldn't decide what he wanted. Theoretically, he will pool any money he gets and buy a phone but I do feel it won't feel very special for him as he already chose the game!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now