Talk

Advanced search

To wrap stocking presents or not?

(39 Posts)
marne2 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:29:42

I don't usually wrap stocking presents as most of things I put in them are tiny and hard to wrap but I am considering doing it this year to give me more time in bed whilst the dd's unwrap them ( but I don't know if I can be bothered to wrap lots of tiny things ).

Do you wrap or not?

UncrushedParsley Wed 10-Dec-14 14:31:21

I do. But I have made a rod for my own back, and DD nearly 17 expects it! Only do it if you are going to keep on doing it IMHO fgrin

ladymariner Wed 10-Dec-14 14:31:31

I always wrap the stocking presents. when ds was little I used to write tags on each one saying it was from his bear, or the cat or the fish.....daft but he used to love it smile

caravanista13 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:36:08

I always wrap them - I suppose because my parents always did and it's part of the family tradition. I love all the effort that goes in to stockings - I still do them for my grown up children and now for their partners too!

disneymum3 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:42:42

I wrap them. We open ours Santa sacks downstairs, and everyone takes it in turns to pick something out of there sack and unwrap it. It just makes the wonder of present opening last longer.

MirandaWest Wed 10-Dec-14 14:42:44

I always wrap everything smile that's what happened when I was little so have carried it on.

BedPig2013 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:48:17

I wrap everything but I do love wrapping Christmas presents fsmile I think a lot of the excitement of presents is in the unwrapping

MehsMum Wed 10-Dec-14 14:51:45

The MUST be wrapped.

Half the fun for my DC is trying to get the paper off...

o0 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:55:04

I wrap.

Takes twice as long to open and it's just a bit more fun than tipping everything out and seeing straight away what's there.

Iwantacampervan Wed 10-Dec-14 15:10:32

I wrap them and have been known to colour code to make it easier to sort between two stockings. Be careful about the paper you use (if you want to keep the secret) - I've heard of children saying 'Santa has the same wrapping paper as us!'

saltedcaramelicious Wed 10-Dec-14 15:13:45

I'm a wrapper too, makes the excitement last a lot longer.

saltedcaramelicious Wed 10-Dec-14 15:16:29

Iwantacampervan haha that reminds me of when i was little and i commented that "father christmas has the same writing as daddy!" (on the gift tags) and the same wrapping paper! Mum was very swift in her response that parents leave pre-written gift tags and paper out, and the elves quickly wrap everything when in the house! I believed it! [santa]

PotteringAlong Wed 10-Dec-14 15:17:40

Yes! Always wrap!

GahLinDah Wed 10-Dec-14 15:20:20

Yes, stocking presents get wrapped in tissue paper, no finesse - scrunch and stick fgrin. When I can get them, I also use those sweetie style paper bags from ikea that are a bit retro, they are good for popping things in and taping it up.

AalyaSecura Wed 10-Dec-14 15:21:10

I wrap as it means it all takes longer and they can't see everything at once by tipping it out. But - wrapping in tissue paper is so much easier than fiddling around with wrapping paper, it doesn't matter if it's a bit scrunched. And I stick from Santa stickers on to hold together.

Songofsixpence Wed 10-Dec-14 15:26:03

I wrap everything. Gives me an extra 10 minutes of inhaling strong coffee and trying to wake up

I even split packs of knickers/socks and wrap them separately. It drives the kids mad - I've got to get my kicks somewhere grin

PeppermintPasty Wed 10-Dec-14 15:28:16

My god, you're all wrappers! I never ever wrap. For one I seriously can't be arsed, for another, I like the idea of delving into the stocking and pulling something out so they get that immediate visual wow factor.

Also, I couldn't guarantee that I might not slip up and use the same wrapping for the stocking stuff from FC that I use for my presents for them under the tree. That would never do, older dc would be very suss about that!

blibblibs Wed 10-Dec-14 15:37:24

Always wrap, making sure to use different paper from the non santa presents.

DC are now 5&6 and this is the first time in 3 years that its different Santa paper as I ran out last year. One DC get blue paper other gets red so I don't have to do tags and I'm sure they'll notice. Have enough paper to do the next couple of years and then it probably won't matter so much fsmile

Lilybensmum1 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:38:07

I have just had this discussion with the mums at DCs school, there were three of us the other two said they do not wrap I was shock. I thought everyone wrapped stocking pressies didn't know people didn't. I guess my parents did so I do.

Waitingonasunnyday Wed 10-Dec-14 15:40:02

Wrap wrap wrap here - tons of Sellotape it means they take ages to open grin

ajandjjmum Wed 10-Dec-14 15:40:42

You have to wrap - and it has to be in special paper that only Father Christmas uses, and some of them have to have a label on saying 'this one's for doing well in that reading test' or 'I have sent you this present because you were so kind to your little sister'.

OK - so now the DC are 21 and 22 I don't do the labels, but still do the stocking and the wrapping! grin

keely79 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:41:33

We wrap - DD and DS (5 and 2) love unwrapping things. I also make sure to use difference paper from the non-Santa pressies. Last year, I coordinated with my DSiL and we got similar presents and used the same wrapping paper so Santa was consistent across all 4 children (with appropriate adjustments for age). I may put too much thought into this....

CatCushion Wed 10-Dec-14 15:42:02

They were never wrapped when I was growing up. I do sometimes wrap some of them, if they are gifts that are too small and might get lost under the tree. Not the satsuma/nuts/chocolate coins.

moomoo1967 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:42:22

I do wrap as DD is at the age where she wants money for her main present so I want her to have things to open

LineRunner Wed 10-Dec-14 15:48:39

Yes, I have always wrapped them. Just makes it more fun.

I also did the colour coding thing, with secret wrapping paper that had to stay hidden! Sad or what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now