Talk

Advanced search

help - no ideas for the lovely ladies on my list

(15 Posts)
Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 12:37:00

I've almost finished my shopping but stuck for dm and sil. I want to get them both a nice girly treat but I'm really struggling to find something I think they'll like. I'm a rugby loving tomboy and my favourite Xmas pressies are the experience day things (microlight flight, snowboarding lesson, circus skills etc) - the kind of thing they would both hate. I'm not good at choosing girly stuff so any help would be fab.

mum is awkward as allergic to many cosmetics/toiletries, doesn't like being too warm so no scarves, gloves, warm jumpers, slippers etc, doesn't wear jewellery, no hobbies but always busy. theatre tickets and spa vouchers have gone down well but booking spa day for her birthday in Feb and can't find a show she'd like to see nearby in next few months.

sil is lovely but lives a long way away so don't see her enough to be sure of her taste. very fussy about clothes and jewellery. she likes new creams etc so have bought steamcream in nice tin (someone said its good for dry hands and elbows which she suffers with in winter) but need something to help with it. She likes wine so maybe just a nice bottle of red????

Thanks for any ideas

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Dec-14 14:12:09

Theatre tokens might be the way ahead for your DM.
Fancy chocs like Hotel Chocolat or some nice cheese for SIL? Do you need to send it or will you be seeing her?

iseenodust Wed 10-Dec-14 14:44:53

What about not so active experience days such as jewelry making, cooking or voucher for afternoon tea for two somewhere lovely?

For SIL, I'm giving sloe vodka from Sloemotion £16 as it's been very well received when given to others for birthdays this year.

Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 16:09:27

Thanks for the suggestions! Sloe vodka could be good for sil, I'll check it out. I thought about a nice experience day for mum but she is always really busy and doesn't drive so it has to be nearby (and they live in a small village) or it's ends up being a hassle for her to fit it in. I would buy theatre tokens but last year I bought her tickets for the lion king, which she had wanted to see for ages, and tokens seem a step down. Plus in the past we've bought tickets, arranged transport and booked a meal so it's a proper treat. She'd love tickets for the Edinburgh tattoo but I'd have to buy 2 so she can take someone with her which makes it very expensive.

NinjaPanda34 Wed 10-Dec-14 16:12:44

Last year I was given Nick Nairn cook school vouchers. They're brilliant and if a few of you go it's a fab day out and a good giggle and the food is amazing! They do half or full days. Spending time together is more fun too?

Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 16:22:57

Would be a fab idea but my mum is a cook and my brother is a chef!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 10-Dec-14 16:24:31

What about a Kindle or other eReader?

Magazine subscription (she might have a favourite the vilkage shop just doesnt stock)

annielostit Wed 10-Dec-14 16:34:40

Arranged lunch out ( paid for by you) with a friend. And arrange transport.
Manicure / pedicure. My DM loves a spa day.

Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 16:35:07

They both have a kindle already and dm is always complaining that she has piles of magazines she never gets around to reading but won't throw out. She's so difficult to buy for!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 16:39:09

Lunch out could be good, maybe I'll see about some restaurant vouchers. Actually can you buy takeout vouchers? That might not sound like much of a treat but she and df often work late then come in and can't be bothered to cook so just eat toast. They rarely treat themselves to a takeout but if they had vouchers they could order guilt free.

Pamper treatment is my usual fallback if I don't see anything I think she'll love but booking her a spa day and treatments for her 60th in Feb so saving that idea for then.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 10-Dec-14 16:41:23

What about a relaxing hamper - a few bottles of nice bubble bath, a yankee candle, a book, bottle of wine and some chocolates? All in a basket with a bow on.

CarmelasFridge Wed 10-Dec-14 16:43:27

The Soap and Glory Xmas special offer is in Boots this Friday.

florentina1 Wed 10-Dec-14 17:28:43

I would go for Jo Malone or White company room diffusers.

Rugbylovingmum Wed 10-Dec-14 22:50:37

Thank you all, lots of great ideas here. I have been working late this evening so I am going to spend tomorrow evening online checking out these suggestions.

iseenodust Thu 11-Dec-14 10:38:55

If they eat pizza you can buy vouchers for Pizza Express who do takeaway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now