Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I cook a beef joint in a slow cooker?

(15 Posts)
Wenchelda Wed 10-Dec-14 12:20:14

I'm hosting christmas for 12 this year and am planning on doing beef and turkey. To save oven space, I was wondering if I can cook the beef (or even the turkey?) in my slow cooker? Bit nervous of that though as I've never had much success with even basic dishes in the slow cooker!

Pootles2010 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:22:21

Weeeell, theoretically yes. You could do a joint suitable for slow cooking, and pop it in. In reality, I think if you've not had much success with yours (and neither have I, btw), then Christmas isn't the right time for it.

Sorry.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 10-Dec-14 12:26:25

People on here have roasted turkey & beef in their bbq, maybe somebody will come along & give you tips on how.

LittleMissSparklyGreenTinsel Wed 10-Dec-14 12:32:10

You should be able to (I do). Just pop it in with a small amount of water/gravy to stop it going dry.
I've never tried a turkey, chicken works but you need to put it into the oven at the end to crisp up the skin.

Minisoksmakehardwork Wed 10-Dec-14 12:32:55

I cook beef, same as I'd do gammon. Put joint in, put water in to just around half way up the joint and leave on high for a good 8 hours. It just falls into pieces and is beautiful.

Howlongtillbedtime Wed 10-Dec-14 12:36:41

I do beef in the slow cooker , I just put it in with a glass of red wine and some herbs and then ignore it until I need it .

You would need a bloody big slow cooker to fit a turkey in it grin

Gatekeeper Wed 10-Dec-14 13:32:44

beef is lovely in the slow cooker; bung some shallots, red wine and herbs in and leave it to sort itself out for eight hours

BackwardFlip Wed 10-Dec-14 13:46:26

Yes but I wouldn't for Christmas. I have cooked chicken in my slow cooker but then you need to put it in hot the oven after to crisp up the chicken skin.

gamerchick Wed 10-Dec-14 13:52:06

It's the only way I cook beef. I wouldn't go back to an oven now.

I use this method but I don't flash fry first. Put it on late at night and wake up to smells.

www.mummymishaps.co.uk/2011/11/slow-cooker-roast-beef.html

gamerchick Wed 10-Dec-14 13:54:14

I stick some red wine in as well.

gamerchick Wed 10-Dec-14 13:57:04

For turkey I just use a turkey oven bag so it cooks in its own juices. No clart on needed for meat really these days.

lilacclery Wed 10-Dec-14 13:59:56

This is the only way I do roast beef now, into slow cooked with chopped onions and a stock pot melted in a cup of boiling water....delicious gravy and delicious beef, I will try howlongtilbedtime's trick with the glass of red wine next week to see if it's better!

Wenchelda Wed 10-Dec-14 15:16:14

Thanks all. I thought it must be possible, not sure if I can risk doing it for the first time for Christmas though.

Should've said its a turkey crown I've got - wasn't going to attempt fitting a whole turkey in the slow cooker!

HellKitty Wed 10-Dec-14 15:20:17

I use a glass of red wine or some beer and it's fabulous, throw in some carrots for it to sit on. Be warned, the beef does fall apart so you can't exactly slice it.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 10-Dec-14 15:24:03

Slow cookers are what joints of beef were made for! But you'd need a bloody big slow cooker to fit a turkey in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now