Talk

Advanced search

Playmobil Panic - 2 year old DS - Advent calender disaster help!

(33 Posts)
honeyistoosweet Tue 09-Dec-14 19:47:21

I'm sure it's all my own fault - I know, I KNOW the packaging says 3 + and he's only 2.3 years. But after much research I decided that this year my DS would be getting some Playmobil for his main present. I even put a post on here to check whether i should get 123 or go straight for the big stuff... I have had no experience of it - I haven't even seen it.. that's my excuse and I am sticking to it

Anyway, i went and ordered the ark from amazon and now it's all wrapped up and ready to go. However, I also bought him the advent calender. And oh my. It is SO unsuitable. I mean, of course it is. It says it is. But I mean - I thought there would be some unsuitable bits that I would just remove, but it's ALL tiny. To the point where I have broken into all the days to see if I can pick out any of it to give him. Out of 24 days only three figures would be deemed safe sad

Please someone tell me is this the size of the real Playmobil? Is it a disaster? uh oh!!!

Sorry for long ramble.

KittyandTeal Tue 09-Dec-14 19:54:07

I have no experience of full playmobile kits. I have bought my 2.3yo the 123 stuff.

However, the reason I've got it for her is that she has loads of the 'older' children's figures at her Nanas house and she loves them. I know their hands and stuff come off but not without a decent amount of force so I've never worried about it.

Like I said, she's not got any of the other 'stuff' though. I'm sure it'll be fine.

rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 19:59:04

Playmobil is teeny. But surely at that age he won't stuff it all in his mouth? We had Playmobil around DS2 because DS1 had it and never had any issues.

ChristmasJumperWearer Tue 09-Dec-14 19:59:13

Deep breath.

Ok, Playmobil probably isn't the best thing for your DS right now based on your experience with the advent calendar.

So....can you either return the set you have bought, or stash it away for next birthday/Christmas?

Can you afford to buy him something else instead? I'm sure we can help you come up with another idea.

There is still enough time to fix this. Fret not.

Whowillsaveyoursoul Tue 09-Dec-14 20:00:40

Real playmobil will have larger pieces which you can leave in and then millions of tiny pieces to take out. So I don't know the ark set but would assume the animals and people figures will be fine. The animal food and tiny Noah related pieces not so much.

ChristmasJumperWearer Tue 09-Dec-14 20:01:26

Also, I have to say that with my DC2 at that age, I wasn't worried about him eating DC1's Playmobil. Is that your only concern?

rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 20:01:47

PS you might want think about unwrapping and building the ark. dS1 got a Playmobil castle for Christmas when he was 3.2 and it took HOURS to build. Nothing that fecks a small child off more than not being able to play with their present because their parents are squinting at the instructions scratching their heads...

helensburgh Tue 09-Dec-14 20:02:46

Eeek.

I don't have the ark set but he's far too young for playmobil.

4 is about the earliest. My almost 11 year old enjoys it still.

All the teeny bits are the joy of it.

SoonToBeSix Tue 09-Dec-14 20:02:58

Bad advice at 2.3 I would have bought playmobil 123. However the good news is you bought it from amazon who are great at refunding. I would either return it and buy something else or put it away until he us bigger. IMO about 4 I think 3 is still a bit young and buy something else. Fisher price little people sets , ELC happy land , and playmobil 123 ( often discounted in TK max) are all good for your ds age.

helensburgh Tue 09-Dec-14 20:03:26

Do ELC still exist their happy land was fab for the under 4s really good stuff.

SoonToBeSix Tue 09-Dec-14 20:04:06

Yes ELC are now part of mothercare.

Stripylikeatiger Tue 09-Dec-14 20:04:25

I have also decided this is the year to give my just 2 year old playmobil, I had some second hand playmobil which was passed down and I have given that to him to play with, we keep it high up and I always sit with him and play with him/supervise when he is playing with it.

He has lots if toys he can play with alone (brio, duplo, toy farm, teddies, cars) so it's nice to have something that I need to sit with him and play.

attheendoftheday Tue 09-Dec-14 20:06:17

I suppose it depends on your 2.3 year old and how prone they are to eating things. Dd2 is younger than that and manages well with playmobil, including the little bits.

I've seen the ark, and the ark, animals and figures are all big, which is probably the only bits that matter. I would unwrap it, remove the tiny bits and give him the rest.

LIZS Tue 09-Dec-14 20:07:50

Unfortunately yes the advent calendars are real playmobil items . They sued to come self assembly so you could see what went into each box and adjust if needs be.

iirc the packaging of the sets shows the actual size of items on the outside if you want to check the ark . Maybe you can keep some of the babies, food etc for when he is older and just have the ark and large animals out for now. Also you might want to assemble the ark now anyway before wrapping the present as it can take a while and a 2yo will get easily bored and frustrated watching.

fatterface Tue 09-Dec-14 20:08:41

My 4 year old and 7 year olds have lots of playmobil and I let my 2.4 year old nephew play with it no problem, but I do take out the teeny bits when he is round. The figures, furniture, pirate ship itself etc are all fine though.

Iheartgilbertblythe Tue 09-Dec-14 20:12:37

Got my 2 year old DD the house last year and the campervan for her (3rd) birthday last week. She loves them. Nothing put in mouth. It might be absolutely fine, and have a much longer life than the other stuff mentioned.

NorksEnormous Tue 09-Dec-14 20:13:04

Dd is 2.4 and I've bought the playmobil 123 zoo this year!

EmGee Tue 09-Dec-14 20:13:38

I'm not convinced that it should be returned. If you got it a good price I would keep it until he is older OR do as PPs have suggested and remove the smaller pieces and keep them aside. However if you paid full price for it, and can return it without any hassle, maybe you should do that for peace of mind.

I have bought some Playmobil kits for my (just) 5 yo for birthday/Christmas this year. Her 2.5 yr old sister will almost certainly be playing with it too. In fact I have bought her the swimming pool for her 3rd birthday in March. I know for a fact she would not (at current age) be remotely interested in the 123 stuff.

tiredteddy Tue 09-Dec-14 20:16:25

We have the ark. It's lovely. I would recommend keeping it. I say this because it is used at a toddler group I go to every week and so popular. It has had the tiny boys removed (food items I think and maybe done farm type tools) and is just the boat and animals and figures. I would also assemble it. We got it for ds2 when he was 5 and it took a while to assemble and a 2.3 year old would find that frustrating. Bit late for you but the playmobil 123 advent calendar is excellent. Dd had it and is 1.11 it is spot on for her.

SoMuchToBits Tue 09-Dec-14 20:18:17

I'd either remove all the tiny pieces (and assemble the main bits) before you give it to him, or keep it until he's older and get some 123 instead. But he'll definitely grow into it! You can't go too far wrong with Playmobil. smile

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 09-Dec-14 20:20:08

My three have had playmobil from a young age. DS1 because over enthusiastic grandparents brought it when he was little, DS2 and DD by association.

DD is three (nearly 4) and now happily plays with all hers. Until a few months ago I kept the little bits in a lidded plastic box on top of the toy shelves. She's loved the people, animals and vehicles though.

If the calendar worries you why not slide the tray out and replace the ones that concern you with either animals from the ark or a chocolate button or similar small sweet.

You know your child best. If they're not one to put everything in their mouth then hopefully they'll have many happy hours play out if it.

newtonupontheheath Tue 09-Dec-14 20:21:08

Don't beat yourself up, OP. You've obviously put a lot of thought into his Christmas presents smile

I bought playmo 123 for my 2.3 yr old even though we have some of the normal stuff. My ds is 4 and still enjoys little people so I know it will get used.

I did comment on a thread a few weeks ago re the "best" playmo to buy for 2/3 yr olds. I can't remember if it was yours but lots of people on there were saying the normal stuff is fine but mainly if their 2yr olds were their second dc and played with older siblings sets. I was a bit shocked, but didn't speak up as there were loads saying it would be fine.

If you bought the ark when it was super-cheap, you could keep it for when he is older and better able to appreciate it.

Whether you give it to him this year or next, definitely build it before hand! It's takes ages to put together!!

abigboydidit Tue 09-Dec-14 20:24:43

DS got playmobil pirate stuff for Christmas last year and it is teeny. He was 2.5 years and loved the teeny-ness! He had a tendency to want to chew on some bits eg swords but on the whole has been really safe and loves it. I think you know your own child best so depends on how you think they will deal with it. The previous Christmas I got him 1-2-3 playmobil and he hated it and I wasn't too impressed either

AalyaSecura Tue 09-Dec-14 20:29:17

Honestly, the ark is a great 'first playmobil' set, I think ds2 was 2 when we got it for him. The star attraction is the animals, so you can remove the few little pieces for now. It's not comparable to the advent calendars, which by default have to be full of tiny bits.

SolomanDaisy Tue 09-Dec-14 20:36:32

Loads of the ark is safe for two year olds. The ark itself is big and won't be a problem and the animals are big too. The tree will also be fine.Just take out the tiny stuff. It's also the quickest big playmobil set to put together, it took me about 15 minutes. My 3 year-old has loads of playmobil, but I got him the 123 advent calendar, as the others seem particularly bad for only having tiny bits. He's had normal playmobil sets since he was 2.5, we just removed tiny bits to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now