Talk

Advanced search

I'm twitching. Have wrapped ds's presents and he has nothing very exciting!

(22 Posts)
Whowillsaveyoursoul Tue 09-Dec-14 17:24:40

He's 5 and I don't seem to have anything very thrilling for him but I seem to have spent a fortune on his gifts!
He's got a few new board games, some books, a playmobil pirate treasure chest set, a lightsaber, a soft toy (hasn't arrived yet), an interactive dinosaur game, a sand art set and a yoda Lego torch.

I think other years when he was little he had bigger more exciting looking gifts and toys with a wow factor. This year not so much. I'm worried he will be disappointed on christmas morning!

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Tue 09-Dec-14 17:28:22

It sounds fine!

My ds is 9 and has no big hitters on his wish list this year, he's got all the bikes, computery things ext a child could possibly need. So we've not sprang a fortune but got him things I know he'll like.

Don't worry!

I get twitchy every year but his year I'm determined to resist the urge to add any more!

frostydom2011 Tue 09-Dec-14 17:35:41

A light sabre? I'm 36 and would be totally excited by those gifts. Can you watch films/cartoons with pirates / light sabre in shortly before Christmas to create the WOW! A PIRATE THInG, dinosaur thing moment. And read stories together and say - I love cuddling and reading stories with you DS - it's so lovely. Then .hr has the positive association in his head

<disclaimer -I dint know anything about 5 yr old>

Whowillsaveyoursoul Tue 09-Dec-14 17:37:24

Well he asked for a new game, some books and a soft toy so he has everything on his list...it just looks a bit underwhelming. There's not much he can get straight out and play with. Twitch twitch twitch...

frostydom2011 Tue 09-Dec-14 17:43:35

Bag of balloons? Marbles? Colouring in book? Ah it'll be fine As ling as someone else has a light sabre inner tube from wrapping paper he can be mini Luke instantly. Even without.

PedantMarina Tue 09-Dec-14 17:47:51

At that age, he'll have more fun playing with the boxes. Relax, aaannnd breathe.

Whowillsaveyoursoul Tue 09-Dec-14 18:07:10

He probably would like some balloons and it might hurt less being bit over the head with a balloon than a lightsaber.
Sadly he's never been a child who enjoys boxes. I've tried!

Pelicangiraffe Tue 09-Dec-14 18:08:23

He's got lots!!! No idea why you are worrying

MrsHowardRoark Tue 09-Dec-14 18:10:43

I feel your pain. I went through DD1's gifts and she has no 'main' present from us.
She is getting a marble run, a tool kit, a small Lego Friends kit, about 5 new books and a fluffy dragon. Her stocking has a few bits she'll love like bath glitter and a Doc McStuffin set. But no big hitters and she's only 3.
She is getting a Sylvanian house from family.

I am desperate to twitch but DP says no sad

whevs Tue 09-Dec-14 19:18:20

He's a very lucky boy. Any one of those gifts would be enough!

waithorse Tue 09-Dec-14 19:29:54

I love a Christmas twitch. grin

darlingfascistbullyboy Tue 09-Dec-14 19:34:22

ds1 got a lightsabre the Christmas he was 6 ... I've never seen him so excited!

Showy Tue 09-Dec-14 19:42:14

That is lots of v exciting stuff. We're always pretty skint and I buy the dc only a couple of inexpensive gifts and it always baffles me that the things they love are rarely the things I envisaged. When dd was 5 I found a £1 brightly coloured jacob's ladder and put it in her stocking. She played with it constantly and still does 2 years later. A slinky, wind up toys and a glow in the dark bouncy ball all had the same effect.

Wassat Tue 09-Dec-14 20:09:08

My 5year old would adore a light sabre, it will be a wonderful Christmas, breaaathe

fuzzpig Tue 09-Dec-14 20:27:27

I think it sounds great! Honestly he will love it smile

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 09-Dec-14 22:41:42

I was thinking the same about my dcs- I bought a colour in castle from Argos for £9.99 so it looks like a wow gift but cheap and disposable smile he could be a light sabre wielding knight?? But in all honesty if he has got all on his list and more I'm sure he will think its perfect! smile

DixieNormas Tue 09-Dec-14 22:44:02

He will love it all! Ds2 had a light sabre at that age and it was the best thing ever (to him, not the rest of us)

KittyMcAllister Tue 09-Dec-14 22:52:41

DS (5) got a light sabre for his last birthday - he absolutely adores it and plays with it all the time. It will be a great hit!

I think your list sounds great and well balanced.

I'm another one who'd love a lightsaber. I saw the inquisitors in the Disney store the other day fgrin

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Dec-14 12:35:55

Blimey. My ds2 is 6, and would be lucky to get 2 of those things. (Actually they get a joint present which is more wow - this year it's a tent - and then individual things from FC but not as much as that).

Chandon Wed 10-Dec-14 12:39:21

I always get the twitch!

But his presents sound great.

I find good stocking fillers are often the highlight of Christmas presents. Last year it was wooden rubber-band gun which they played with for ages and ages.

www.boysstuff.co.uk/bachelor-pad/original-rubber-band-shooter/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=merchant-feed&utm_campaign=Original+Rubber+Band+Shooter&gclid=CjwKEAiA-5-kBRDylPG5096R8mASJABqEdm44Y4lRxeO5urh62yNaUqKAiQttL36nI5KHsL8sy2_ahoCvArw_wcB

the year before it was this that stole the show, for years:

www.amazon.co.uk/WWP-W5769-Sound-Machine-18486/dp/B002ICWDIK

IssyStark Wed 10-Dec-14 14:40:40

There's no reason they have to have a 'main' present - some year's there be something they need, other year's there won't be anything appropriate. At 5yo he's probably about the right age to learn that.

Personally I think that sounds like a great list - it can be as, if not more exciting to open lots of smaller presents rather than one large on. My 8yo ds would be more than happy with it but then he's a huge Playmobil and Star Wars fan. As long as they are things your ds likes, then he'll be pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now