Advanced search

Splitting/icing Christmas cake

(9 Posts)
FelixFelixNavidad Tue 09-Dec-14 15:45:11

I've made a massive christmas cake this year. We are going to PIL's for Christmas so I was planning on taking it up with us, but my own Mum mentioned that she doesn't make a cake any more as there's just my Mum and Dad to eat it, so it goes to waste. I know they love Christmas cake so I was planning on giving them some of mine, but I can't work out the logistics with doing this. We will see them at some point either before or after Christmas (more than likely after).

Would it be weird if I split the cake in half, then half one side again and ice the three bits separately? Then I can give my Mum a quarter of the cake. It means I will have a half and a quarter piece left to take up to PIL with us. Or would it be weird to rock up with two random bits of cake? I'd ice and decorate all three bits separately.

Is there another way round this? If I'd have thought on, I'd have made a square cake then portioned it up in to individually iced mini cakes.

Is there an easy solution which I am totally overlooking?

Also, when do I ice the cake? I've been feeding it for about 6 weeks now (possibly more). I've never made one before so it's all new to me grin

lucysmam Tue 09-Dec-14 17:46:12

Could you split it into two instead? One side a bigger rectangle than the other?

Ice and decorate smaller/thinner piece for your parents & the larger piece to take with you smile

FelixFelixNavidad Tue 09-Dec-14 17:47:07

It's a round cake so I'd struggle with that. I might just deprive my poor Mum and take the whole thing with me confused

lucysmam Tue 09-Dec-14 17:56:42

aaah, ok grin

um, I got a dinky (6" I think) tin in Poundland that makes a cake big enough for just my dad.

Could you have a look for a small tin & rustle up another one?

DayLillie Tue 09-Dec-14 17:56:56

Could you cut it into quarters, put a thin layer of marzipan on the cut edges. Then decorate each quarter so that when they are put together they make a whole cake, with a decoration on each quarter. You might need an extra thinner board underneath, cut up for each quarter to sit on.

Or you could put ribbon over the join, like a round parcel, with a gift tag for each quarter.

With the first one, you could shuffle the three remaining pieces round evenly. But with the second one, it would just have to be a 3/4 cake/present.

Lifesalemon Tue 09-Dec-14 17:57:01

Don't know if its big enough or even possible but is there any way you could cut a circle from the middle to ice as a mini cake and then decorate the outer ring to look like a wreath.

lucysmam Tue 09-Dec-14 17:57:56

Should have said, I'm planning to marzipan/ice beginning ish of next week so I can drop off ones I've made for friends before Christmas.

FelixFelixNavidad Tue 09-Dec-14 18:04:36

Lifesalemon that is a possibility! What a genius idea. I will work out if I can do it.

I do have some mixed fruit left so I could make a new one but it won't be half as nice. My Mum is cake baker extraordinaire so I want to impress her grin

TheWhispersOfTheGods Tue 09-Dec-14 18:24:00

Life, that is genius! A decent sized pudding ring would cut out a mini cake from the centre perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now