Talk

Advanced search

Will roast potatoes stay crispy in a hot trolley...?

(8 Posts)
GetMe Tue 09-Dec-14 13:25:45

I am fortunate enough to have acquired my folks hot trolley when they downsized and want to cook as much an hour before dinner as possible and put it in there then relax with a glass of fizz.

However, my mum says roast tats won't stay crispy in the hot trolley and have to be done just before eating. As I pride myself on amazing crisp tats I am now nervous to take this risk.

What do you experienced Christmas people say?

LittleMissSparklyGreenTinsel Tue 09-Dec-14 13:57:31

I say try it out this weekend and see how long you can leave them!

CatsClaus Tue 09-Dec-14 14:02:39

certainly won't stay crisp in one of the dishes...

depending what you have in the body of the trolley they may stay crisp if you keep them in there on a flat open dish.

tbh I'd get everything else done and shove the roasties in the oven as a last minute thing, relax with your drinkie and serve the lot as soon as they're done.

Unexpected Tue 09-Dec-14 14:02:54

I have insulated casserole dishes with lids which are brilliant for keeping veg hot for family meals. However, I don't put potatoes in there because your mum is correct, they get soggy. Brilliant for carrots, sprouts, red cabbage, parsnips etc but no good for potatoes.

WowOoo Tue 09-Dec-14 16:18:49

I don't think they'd stay crisp.

PlantsAndFlowers Tue 09-Dec-14 16:32:27

Your mum's right. Roast potatoes are the one thing that has to be served as soon as they're ready.

GetMe Tue 09-Dec-14 20:53:20

Thanks very much for your wisdom, I didn't think it was worth risking it. Glad I didn't!! We WILL have crispy roast tats Christmas day!!

candybar Tue 09-Dec-14 21:28:33

I use a hot trolley at work, if you put the potatoes in there without covering them and use a gastronome (like this www.onsitekitchens.co.uk/Equipment/Catering_Equipment_Hire.asp?EctID=3&EqrID=15 ) they should be fine.

I agree you should give it a go and see what you think, we serve 250 covers a roast dinner and never have a problem with soggy spuds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now