Talk

Advanced search

Do you let your children open presents when they get them or wait?

(10 Posts)
Livvylongpants Mon 08-Dec-14 12:53:50

Following on from the thread about whether presents are from Santa or parents, lots of people put that they had presents under tree from family and friends etc

Am I the only person that lets my kids open gifts on receipt? If we are at MIL say the day before Christmas Eve she will give the kids their presents then and the kids will open them

We are from tiny families so don't get presents from people we don't see as we see everyone grin

NotSoSkinnyNow Mon 08-Dec-14 13:04:30

I think it's always nice for whoever is giving the gift to see the recipient's face when they open it, especially if it is a gift which has been thought about and carefully chosen.

However in our case, we live away from family so any gifts that arrive by post are hidden away until they go under the tree for opening on Christmas day.

december12 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:06:15

If we were having "Christmas" with MIL a week or so beforehand I'd let them open her presents so she got to see them do it but the bits and pieces received from friends etc in the weeks leading up to Christmas are saved.

If we were going to see MIL(or DM) on Christmas Eve and again before NY, then they'd wait until afterwards.

306235388 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:13:16

Our kids open presents on Christmas Day but tbh most people either live far away or else they keep the presents until we see them. I don't let them open them early but that's probably partly because Ds has his birthday on 23rd so I don't want it all getting muddled up?

dancestomyowntune Mon 08-Dec-14 13:17:55

The only people who give my Dcs presents and are local are mil and sil. Sil gives presents on Xmas eve which are put under the tree for Xmas day. Mil we take the kids down on Boxing Day and they open them then.

NorwaySpruce Mon 08-Dec-14 13:27:50

We only open gifts on Christmas Day.

The children prefer it that way, and put anything they receive in advance straight under the tree.

AdventCaroline Mon 08-Dec-14 13:31:38

If someone gives a gift in person, I always ask the giver if it should be opened straight away, or saved for Christmas.

They usually say straight away, because they want to watch!

But if we got something through the post, we would save it until Christmas day.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 08-Dec-14 13:31:42

Christmas Day here, or after if we are seeing relatives on Boxing Day for example. But then Dd's birthday is the 23rd so we like to keep some separation between birthda and Christmas for her.

Footlight Mon 08-Dec-14 13:32:27

I let them open them as we get them, it spreads it all out so it's not such a paper ripping fest on Xmas day, and also so they can say/write their thank you's straight away before we forget who got what.

We both have large families so it can all get a bit much on Christmas and boxing days.

NorksEnormous Mon 08-Dec-14 13:51:08

Christmas Day here. Any presents they recieve in the run up to Christmas gets put under the tree to open on Christmas morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now