Talk

Advanced search

Christmas magic - shall we swap ideas?

(16 Posts)
StillWearingOddSocks Mon 08-Dec-14 12:49:45

I want to make it as beautiful, festive & magical as possible. Here are some of the things we're doing - & I'd love to hear more..,,

Elf
Made pomanders from oranges & cloves
Advent calendar
Real tree & old decorations plus one new each from peter jones
Going to libertys & Disney store at weekend to choose one more dec from each
Did Harrods Father Christmas
Made boozy cake
Will do a Christmas photo
Christmassy books wrapped up under the tree & one opened each night in December

LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 08-Dec-14 13:06:57

Camp under the Xmas tree! Bring the matresses down and sleep with just the tree lights on, if your children are old enough. Mine love it. We watch a Xmas film and then all snuggle down together. You get at least an hour of excited laughing and giggling though, so don't do it on a school night smile

StillWearingOddSocks Mon 08-Dec-14 18:28:43

Love that idea!

whevs Mon 08-Dec-14 22:20:13

Make reindeer food- just mix (dry) oats with glitter- and sprinkle it in your garden to show the reindeer where to go. Last year me and Dd (then 3) walked around the neighbourhood with it on Christmas Eve, sprinkling it here and there as went. She chatted to most people we came across- it was a really special time.

We have also started a tradition of having an open house for neighbours on Xmas eve afternoon- involves no more organisation than whacking on a pan of mulled wine, warming up some mince pies and inviting the neighbours. The feeling of festive warmth and goodwill is fantastic.

whevs Mon 08-Dec-14 22:24:00

Ooh- am also planning a 'hot chocolate bar' for the neighbourhood kids at our Xmas eve do. Just a jug of warm cocoa, Christmas paper cups, and various bowls of mini marshmallows, crushed candy canes etc. they can make their own hot chocs- then watch a Christmas film in the spare room- with, I am planning, crushed candy cane popcorn! (Loads of recipes if you google it)

Am getting a tad carried away as usual... Love it!

Oh and look for a Christingle or children's crib service at a local church, if you are remotely that way inclined.

GraceK Mon 08-Dec-14 22:37:13

We were away one Christmas & our neighbours were feeding the cat. We left a note by the fireplace for Father Christmas to tell him where we'd gone. When we got back, the neighbours (unprompted) had eaten the mince pie, nibbled the carrot, hidden the note and (this was the magic bit) made boot prints from the ash in our fireplace on the living room carpet of FC coming out of the fireplace & then going back up.

Every year the kids choose a bauble each & they are kept in a separate box so that when they eventually leave home they will have a set of decorations to take with them.

VillageFete Mon 08-Dec-14 23:46:45

whevs How magical!!

We too do the whole reindeer dust thing, all the local Christmas fayres, as well as a movie day with lots of treats where we watch "The Snowman" "Father Christmas" and "The Snowman & the Snowdog" We also do Christingle and on Christmas Eve we go to our local pub to watch a real life Nativity, then the kids get donkey rides & hot chocolate & the adults get mulled wine.

TheFantasticMrsFox Tue 09-Dec-14 09:25:33

DS is a bit older now but I would like to impart some very important information to all of you putting reindeer food out........ Rudolph and co. prefer their food on a plate or in a dish- it's quicker for them to eat it rather than rooting about in the grass and easier to clear up as well wink

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 09-Dec-14 10:04:51

I thought reindeer food was crap and in no way embraced it, doing a range of other magical activities and ideas last year. Dd's made it at the childminders and I binned it. This year the only thing dd has asked to do is reindeer food!
We are also taking a box of baked stuff to the police station on Christmas Eve to say thanks for keeping us safe.
We do the boot prints too with fake snow- it stays cold so dd was totally convinced it was real snow grin

LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 09-Dec-14 10:33:22

Great tip about the plate, MrsFox - last year when it rained after sprinkling the reindeer food was NOT pleasant smile

MinnieM1 Tue 09-Dec-14 10:36:56

Bogies - what is it you don't like about reindeer food?? confused

TheWindowDonkey Tue 09-Dec-14 10:44:36

Advent activity calendar. Instead of a choc advent calendar we have a row of little sacks with each day's number on and inside I pop a little Xmas choc and an activity for each day, these include writing their letter to Father C, reading a Christmas book, watching Christmas films, going to town to see the lights and have a hot choc/ Xmas fat rascal, ice skating, reading the Christmas story in the bible, candlelit carols, Christmas craft with friends, decorating the cake...etc
The kids LOVE it and I do too.
We also get an elf basket delivered to the door on Xmas eve after church which includes new pj's and slippers, a book each, a family dvd, hot choc making kit and popcorn.
Tea lights in jam jars to line the driveway just before bed so the reindeer know where to stop. Last thing DS does after hanging his stocking is to peek out of the window and make sure they are still lit so he knows Santa will come.
The last couple of years we have also tried to find an activity as close to Christmas as possible which means doing something for others. Still to find this years, but along the lines of soup kitchen stint, visiting old people who have no relatives, inviting someone who is alone for dinner etc...

TheWindowDonkey Tue 09-Dec-14 10:46:46

We are also getting the kids to clear out their toys and find all the ones they don't play with any longer to donate to the Woman's Aid shelter near us. If you call your local one they will tell you where to drop things off or collect things from you.

Janet12Conger Tue 09-Dec-14 11:08:31

Christmas is the festival in which we can do the beautiful decoration in less money or in low budget. You can prepare the crafts in home by your hand only.

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 09-Dec-14 11:17:34

No idea Minnie!! Just thought it was a bit shit. I guess some things inspire interest and others don't. Thought it was a bit pointless! My opinion has been changed though by lovely dd reminding me that I'm not always right

I've made a load of pom poms from cheap white wool from B and M and we're going to have an indoor snowball fight with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now