Talk

Advanced search

Play school set for DD (4)

(18 Posts)
Shamazeballs Sun 07-Dec-14 20:25:14

She started school in september and is utterly obsessed with playing schools. I want to put together a play school set for Xmas but I don't really know what to put in it.

If anyone can give me some suggestions it would be useful please (especially if you provide links grin)

Elizadoesdolittle Sun 07-Dec-14 21:00:40

I'm doing the same for my DD who has just started school. She loves playing teachers.

I can't do links as on phone but some of the things I'm putting in it are a teachers register, stamps saying well done etc, reward stickers all on amazon and a small white board from pound shop and pens to go with it.

There are several play school/teachers set but they have mixed reviews. I'm getting ideas from them though and will watch this thread with interest.

Minnie911 Sun 07-Dec-14 21:02:51

I would put reward style stickers www.amazon.co.uk/reward-stickers-childrens-teachers-smiley/dp/B00N589AAA
Some of these workbook type books
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007300964/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?qid=1417985704&sr=1-19&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
Then some jotters
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007300964/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?qid=1417985704&sr=1-19&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
A time teaching clock
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CMR270K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417985855&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40
A mini white board
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AYIIVTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417985899&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40
A numbers poster
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008B7PKOA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1417985951&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40
Reading books like these
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0192794914/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1417986075&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
And then I'd put some stationary, post it notes.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 07-Dec-14 21:06:36

I've made one for my niece - she loved DDs one, which is one of those from Amazon with mixed reviews and stupidly over-priced.

A4 sized stationary 'suitcase'
Whiteboard and pens
Couple of exercise books
Register
Set of certificates to fill in
Packs of stickers
Self inking stamps
Post its
Variety of pens in different colours

I am a teacher. I haven't included: high dose of pressure, performance anxiety, complaining parents, slave-driving headteacher, OFSTED or performance related pay. She is welcome to all the holidays she can get though.smile

Whyamihere Sun 07-Dec-14 21:41:18

I don't know if they still do it but I bought dd a school set from Yellow Moon about 5 years ago, it was a bit pricey but even now it still gets played with occasionally, it had a white board, a map, a bell, aclock and loads of bits of paper, it all folded up neatly. It has been one of dd's most consistently played with toys. If you are making one up make sure you buy a white board as it is very versatile (we've used ours for homework).

Prizepudding Sun 07-Dec-14 21:58:34

I bought my dd a post office set similar to the pricey ones on amazon last year for around £6 and she loved it and it is actually very good. They also did a school set that was the same idea to the one whyamihere talks about.

Prizepudding Sun 07-Dec-14 21:59:17

Meant to say that it was in B and M

Shamazeballs Sun 07-Dec-14 22:03:56

Thanks. I've got a few bits in my amazon basket now. I've also found a few ideas online such as library cards etc (really this is an excuse to play with my laminator!)

MissWimpyDimple Sun 07-Dec-14 22:10:31

Fun learning has a fantastic one. It's had hours and hours of play. They do a post office too which has been less of a hit.

An easel has also been a welcome addition as the board and lots of stickers for the pupils! A lanyard and ID card are a must as is a coffee cup and waste bin apparently!

MissWimpyDimple Sun 07-Dec-14 22:12:27

http://www.funlearning.co.uk/pretend-play-toys/pretend-and-play-school-set

This one. It's really fab.

StarvingBookworm Sun 07-Dec-14 22:21:22

My mum bought DD (then 4y6m) the B&M version for Christmas last year, and it's had so much play, was about £7 and is very similar to the Amazon one (which went down to about £16 last year but is usually around £30). We added plain exercise books, more reward stickers (set comes with some), but the thing that's had the most use is the set of red/yellow/green books to replicate their school system, made by me with coloured paper stuck on exercise books with sticky back plastic (DD's TA sneakily showed me when I asked). She writes our achievements/misdemeanors in them which is hilarious to look back on.

If you are near a B&M I'd definitely recommend a quick look.

Teabaglady Sun 07-Dec-14 22:24:07

I made one a couple of years ago still gets played with every week, Just think I everything teachers use - I included elc whiteboard easel, lanyard and ID card, 'just a note' home note, star of the day/ week Certs, raffle tickets, old broken laptop, stickers and stamps and buy a laminator! My kids have really enjoyed making new wall displays and green/amber/ red charts eye and laminating th to add to their classroom

Yoruba Sun 07-Dec-14 23:02:51

We have this

It's great! Bag is really sturdy so 6 months on it can all be packed back into it. Good quality, lots of the usable things are photocopiable.

Has a misdemeanours book, wipe clean traffic light thing, register, whiteboard and Pen, stickers etc etc. plus a booklet with lots of ideas in it which helps when I need to get her started on a game in a hurry!

I would really recommend it.

306235388 Sun 07-Dec-14 23:17:38

I'm making one for dd (4)

Whiteboard and pen
Exercise books
Teacher stamps eg well done
Stickers
Star of the week certificates
Pencils etc
Register
Lanyard with ID card

Pretty much all from amazon I think.

Tvseemstobemyhobby Mon 08-Dec-14 14:07:23

Thank you for this, I hadn't even thought about it and it's a lovely perfect idea for DD1 although I fear I may be setting myself up for lots of carpet sitting and telling off

iwantavuvezela Mon 08-Dec-14 14:13:00

www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Resources-Pretend-Play-School/dp/B000E8S8XO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1418047932&sr=1-1&keywords=school+set

my DD has this one, quite fun, and has had a decent amount of playing with

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 08-Dec-14 14:35:47

my dd‘s aren't into playing schools but I bought a stick on blackboard for them and they love it. was only 2.50 from factory shop. we have it stuck on the cupboard door grin

Shamazeballs Mon 08-Dec-14 20:38:50

Well today I've ordered stampers, stickers, register and made library cards grin

I love the look of the learning resources but I don't really want to spend £25 when I've done most of her presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now