Talk

Advanced search

Present for MIL in a care home - any ideas?

(25 Posts)
DameEdnasBridesmaid Sun 07-Dec-14 16:04:42

Thought there may be a thread on this? We are struggling, will buy little wraps ups of chocs, toiletries etc. but can't think of anything else.

She's got enough jewelry, photo frames and really can't buy anything to clutter up her room. We usually buy a cardigan or blouse boring

I was thinking of a book with photos in to remind her of her childhood?

mabelbabel Sun 07-Dec-14 16:07:52

My granny is in a care home and doesn't need or want anything - and can't remember much. I'm buying her some of her favourite sweets, which she will enjoy. I usually get flowers.

ClashCityRocker Sun 07-Dec-14 16:08:08

That would be lovely.

We usually do a photobook for our dgm and a little hamper of nice biscuits and chocolates etc that she can share (if she wants to) with other residents.

Once we made a cd of all of her favourite songs, she loved that and still listens to it now.

Nice warm pjs always go down well, too.

Lifesalemon Sun 07-Dec-14 16:10:44

Photo book sounds nice, and what about a nice throw for her bed.

Vintagebeads Sun 07-Dec-14 16:17:48

What about a Christmas bulb that will bloom.
I know some have hairdressers that go around the home

Esmum07 Sun 07-Dec-14 16:21:07

My mum's elderly, though not in a home. The gift she loved most last year was a subscription for a magazine which my sister bought her. She really looks forward to getting it each week and passes her old ones on to the communal room in the sheltered housing scheme she lives in. She liked it so much she asked my sister to renew the subscription as her present this year!

wheretoyougonow Sun 07-Dec-14 16:22:06

Is there a beautician that visits? Maybe get her nails done?

Esmum07 Sun 07-Dec-14 16:23:02

Oh forgot to add mum has mild Alzheimer's so the magazine really helps her by keeping the brain cells ticking over and it gives her something to talk about when she goes to her day centre.

PenelopePitstops Sun 07-Dec-14 16:37:30

Photobooks are nice, or a photo calendar / diary with dates pre filled with birthdays etc. (not sure how good her memory is).

How good is the laundry? We found that new socks and undies were needed due to boil washing everything!

If she is able to get out, could you take her out to the theatre or something as a present? Sorry if this isn't appropriate.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 07-Dec-14 16:45:52

A photobook sounds like a great idea!

Kickassandlollipops Sun 07-Dec-14 16:55:49

Have you got time to write a brief personnel history about her with a few photos , these always go down well in care homes as they can be great conversation starter with other residents and carers and they can always be added to .

atticusclaw Sun 07-Dec-14 16:58:02

How about a digital photoframe with hundreds of pictures loaded up in it which will then flick through like a screen saver?

ReallyBadParty Sun 07-Dec-14 17:04:02

My dmil really enjoyed an electronic photo frame in a care home.

The family loaded it with photos old and new, and it was also really nice to chat about when we visited: to see pictures of old family members and hear the stories.

CMOTDibbler Sun 07-Dec-14 17:04:35

I've bought my mum (not in a home, but v frail and has dementia) a heated faux fur throw from Lakeland. Its safe to be used on a bed or chair.

When she could still read and recognise pictures (she has very specific issues in this area), she loved photobooks with very simple text which had cues as to who was in the pictures. A 'this is your life' style photobook would be great if you have old family photos to scan in

ReallyBadParty Sun 07-Dec-14 17:04:39

Atticus : digital, that's what I meant! grin

atticusclaw Sun 07-Dec-14 17:20:00

That heated throw is amazing. I have it and love it.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 07-Dec-14 17:24:19

When my Gran was in a nursing home we bought her a bird table for outside her window as she always loved wildlife. As she had a downstairs room she could sit at the window and watch the birds and squirrels feeding.

If this isn't practical how about a window bird feeder?

Onelittlepiglet Sun 07-Dec-14 17:25:42

Does she like reading? Either a nice selection of books, or as an alternative, my mum likes audio books as although she enjoys reading, sometimes she gets a bit tired and also finds it painful to hold a book for a long period of time. She loves audiobooks and listening to them when she is in bed or having a cup of tea etc. she would need a CD player or an MP3 player type thing to listen to them.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 07-Dec-14 17:31:57

A framed picture for the wall - maybe a painting of somewhere that means something to her, like the town she was born, place she was married?

DameEdnasBridesmaid Sun 07-Dec-14 17:41:28

Some good ideas here. I've done the photo frame with all her DC's and DGC's in. I also had some old photos of her and her DH restored from when they were in their prime. They are fabulous photos as they were quite a glamourous couple - and she loves being reminded of this. She did look like Elizabeth Taylor.

I like the magazine subscription - she can't read books anymore, as she forgets hat she has just read but still reads the newspaper and magazines.

3bunnies Sun 07-Dec-14 18:00:42

We got dm a history book of the area she grew up in with photos from 1900s to 1950s. It seemed to bring back lots of memories. She loved it although couldn't remember who gave it to her sad

Davros Sun 07-Dec-14 18:05:53

Bed jacket. I love mine, sitting up in bed nice and cosy but without a bulky dressing gown on and I must get that Lakeland heated throw!

Larrytheleprechaun Sun 07-Dec-14 18:14:17

A nice blanket for her bed. How about doing up a nice afternoon tea and bringing in fancy teacups etc with all the bits that go with the tea - nice buns, finger sandwiches. Or you say she was glamorous - would she like someone to come in and do her hair / nails and make her feel a bit special?

DameEdnasBridesmaid Sun 07-Dec-14 20:31:08

larry yes she was (at least for round here smile). We have bought her lots of jewellery and bling and she does love to wear it. I said she looked like Elizabeth I last time I visited she had so many strings of pearls on.

3bunnies a book of the area she grew up in was last years present - this is why I am running out of ideas.

Someone has suggested a magazine subscription - I have just ordered that so thanks - she'll love getting something delivered. It will also give DH something to talk about on his weekly visits "did your mag arrive mum? Have you read it, what was in it? Etc. He says thanks you very much for the idea smile

PigeonPie Sun 07-Dec-14 20:38:00

I used to make my Grannie biscuits. I think the ones she laughed at most were the cheesey biscuits in the shape of feet - both left and right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now