Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Coping with a SO who HATES Christmas!

(8 Posts)
iamdivergent Sun 07-Dec-14 13:10:42

It can't just be me - my DH Hayes Christmas and the whole lead up to it which is hard because I am the polar opposite, I love it! Obviously our dds love it too.

Anyone managed to get their OH to embrace it?! Or should I admit defeat?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 07-Dec-14 13:16:05

I'd tell him he's allowed of course to privately hate it but that doesn't excuse him from manning up and going to dull Christmas things as you have to put up with dull shit like childrens 'plays' all year round.

I'd be saying that of course it's fine to not enjoy it but just like every other dull aspect of parenting you have to at least to pretend to enjoy it for the sake of the children.

I loathed the dance recitals that went on for 10 years - still forced myself to be very convincing and supportive as I'm an adult and the world doesn't revolve round me.

iamdivergent Sun 07-Dec-14 13:32:46

He doesn't grumble about it in front of the kids but even things like watching a Christmas movie can be difficult (we only have the 1 tv) or Christmas trips out ie to see santa.

It puts a dampener on me tbh sad

Rainbowshine Sun 07-Dec-14 13:44:06

Is there a reason he hates Christmas? For example we've had two bereavements around Christmas and for some family it's really tainted the whole thing.

pictish Sun 07-Dec-14 13:46:10

It's fine for him to not be giddy with Christmas cheer...but the minute he spoils yours, you have a problem.

HoHoHappyHolidays Sun 07-Dec-14 14:42:30

Have you ever asked him why?

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Sun 07-Dec-14 15:40:57

How old is dd?? My DH hates it too and it is difficult, last year he was so grumpy when we went to see Santa I damn near divorced him- this year he isn't coming. Dd's are getting a bit older now and he is beginning to enjoy little bits, but seriously you mention Christmas and its instant grump! I love it grin don't think that helps tbh!

iamdivergent Sun 07-Dec-14 15:52:58

dds are 6 and 10

I don't believe he does it intentionally. I suppose he does struggle at this time of year. His parents split up over Xmas when he was about 5 so I think it stems from that sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now