Talk

Advanced search

DS has found presents in my wardrobe

(16 Posts)
macnab Sun 07-Dec-14 12:19:23

I KNOW I shouldn't have stored them there, kept meaning to move them but didnt get round to it. They were covered with clothes though and why the hell was he rooting about in there anyway hmm He's almost 7. Just.a couple of small (but thoughtful) things for him but a couple of main pressies for DD (she's 4) were there.

I told him I was minding them for Nana (who lives abroad) and they were supposed to be a surprise for xmas. Now I'm going to hace to get mum to give them as her presents but am.in a bit of a tizzy about DDs things.

I don't curse a lot, but fuckity fuck angry

Nerf Sun 07-Dec-14 12:29:57

Are they from FC or you?
Ds did this for his birthday and I just said oh dear that was your birthday present so now you know you have Lego.

QuietNinjaTardis Sun 07-Dec-14 12:32:35

I remember when my sister and I found presents when we were kids. We got a right bollocking for looking where we shouldn't have been. Threatened that we wouldn't get then Xmas day so when we did we were bloody grateful. Could you do something like that? wink

Nerf Sun 07-Dec-14 12:34:06

Mil tells this story about when she was little she found and ate all the sweets from her xmas present (a sweet shop). They were too poor to replace them, and her mum was very cross.
This year I've bought her a sweet shop grin

Staywithme Sun 07-Dec-14 12:36:16

This year I've bought her a sweet shop

That's really lovely. I'm sure your mil will be delighted. smile

Nerf Sun 07-Dec-14 12:38:10

I hope so, I love mil.

KnockMeDown Sun 07-Dec-14 12:39:23

I think you have made extra trouble for yourself by saying they were from Nana. Could you not have just gone with oh well no surprises this year then?

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Dec-14 12:39:37

Nerf "Ds did this for his birthday and I just said oh dear that was your birthday present so now you know you have Lego." That is what I would do.

He is old enough to know that if he goes looking it will spoil the surprise.

Nerf Sun 07-Dec-14 12:50:29

Yes, he was six (going to be seven) and I don't think he was that upset at not having a surprise. I agree - old enough not to go looking.

macnab Sun 07-Dec-14 14:02:41

Should have said in OP, all presents in our house come from Santa so we dont give surprises or anything. I will swap them for whatever mum's got them but it wont be an even swap if that makes sense? Aarrgghh I'm just so mad with myself for not moving them. And I now have to get new things for DD when I thought I was done

WaitingForMe Sun 07-Dec-14 14:12:44

DH did this aged seven. He got told off and that no there was no Santa. He still got the gifts though.

I'm with my MIL on this one. DH learned the hard way that being a sneaky snooping person only leads to bad things.

I'd probably be meaner than her and make the child choose one to give to charity.

hyperhops Sun 07-Dec-14 14:20:26

ds2 (6) did this recently. he found one of his presents and 2 of his sisters in the garage. (no , he shouldn't have been in there angry) I told him that Father Christmas had dropped them off early and asked me to mind them because the reindeer were getting on a bit and struggled to pull the sleigh with all the presents on , so he was dropping some off early this year.
Not sure if he believed me or not but I'm not going to buy other stuff at this stage!grin

woollytights Sun 07-Dec-14 15:14:49

Waitingforme, that seems unneccessarily mean spirited and cruel. Although admittedly I can't tell if you're joking.

I dont think theres anything inherently bad or malicious about a child giving into curiosity and looking for christmas presents. Yes its a pain in the arse for the parent but surely the spoiling of the surprise is a sufficient punishment in itself. The surprise element is surely just for the childs benefit in the first place.

WaitingForMe Sun 07-Dec-14 15:25:49

I'm not joking and while I don't think snooping necessarily means malicious intent, it is unpleasant behaviour. We each have varying tolerances for such things and for me, respect for other people's spaces is a big one.

It works both ways. We recently put locks on my stepsons' bedroom doors so they can stop toddler DS from going in without their permission when they're not here.

macnab Sun 07-Dec-14 15:42:47

Its not certain that he was snooping though, DH reckons he was just hiding in there, he does do that sometimes. I didnt wznt to make a bigger deal of it so I just went with the Nana story and he seems to have bought it. I hate the thought of the magic being gone before he's even 7. And there is no way I or DH could do what previous poster suggested and totally kill the magic dead shock I'm pretty sure there was no malice in him looking, am annoyed with myself for leaving them there.

DH says its a lesson learnt for future years and we'll sort it - am so glad he's so level headed and hates to see me bawling The other stuff is in my office and at a relatives house, thank.god!

sillymillyb Sun 07-Dec-14 15:49:23

Waiting for me that seems really OTT, I know it's about respect for boundaries but to shatter childhood magic by saying there is no Santa as a punishment just seems cruel!

Op can you tell him that you help Santa buy some presents as he doesn't have room on his sleigh for everything? We have some from Santa and some from me in this house, it seems safer if they do get discovered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now