Talk

Advanced search

5yo DD, crafty ideas?? Help!

(27 Posts)
FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 19:51:16

Help! DD is 5yo and has not asked for anything for Christmas (partly due to lack of TV advertising exposure and partly as she doesn't quite understand the concept of making a list and asking for things (I've purposefully done this!!)
She loves arts and crafts (which I hate!) please can you give me some suggestions for things I can get which involve minimal input from me!
Thanks in advance!

Jcee Sat 06-Dec-14 19:55:03

You need sticky mosaics...lots of different ones and they keep DD (4) quiet for ages...

mummy2angel Sat 06-Dec-14 19:57:38

I saw a make your own jewellery set in hobbycraft which I liked the look of for my DD4, it has beads that you put together to make necklaces, bracelets. Should be something your DD would be able to do on her own and if she's anything like my DD she will love wearing the Jewlerry after smile

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 19:58:32

Thanks Jcee what a brilliant suggestion! (Never even heard of them before now but they look great) any particular kit?

Jcee Sat 06-Dec-14 20:02:12

We've got through a few of these sets and bought loads as gifts. The butterfly one is nice as is the fairy one. I thought the Disney princess one a bit disappointing (not as detailed as the other kits) but DD loved it!

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 20:06:49

Jcee I'm going to buy a few for the present box too! Any other crafty ideas as she really does love sitting doing things?

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Sat 06-Dec-14 20:08:22

The works have little wooden boxes that could be painted/having pretty bits stick onto, to make jewellery boxes.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Sat 06-Dec-14 20:11:37

They also have sewing kits to make individual items and Poundland have make your own sock monkey kits/fairy kits

www.poundland.co.uk/stationery-and-crafts/arts-and-crafts/kids-crafts

Mumraathenoisylion Sat 06-Dec-14 20:13:31

Melissa and doug stamp sets are brilliant, jungle, princess and butterfly sets are the ones we have.

They also do lovely sticker books where you use stickers to create a scene.

Mumraathenoisylion Sat 06-Dec-14 20:14:58

and doug stamp set stamp sets

addictedtosugar Sat 06-Dec-14 20:16:43

Paper flowers? I've seen ALEX kits before now.
Would she like some simple sewing, or cross stitch - may be too young for that.

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 20:18:29

Thanks Mum she already has a few Melissa and Doug stamp sets which she loves.
She gets a bit frustrates with the sewing kits and needs a bit too much guidance...

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 06-Dec-14 20:26:23

What about a French knitting kit. There is one on The Works website for £1.99 but I can't seem to post a link to it. I was given one at a similar age and I still have it.

domesticslattern Sat 06-Dec-14 20:29:26

Try the Yellow Moon website.
They have a good Mister Maker box with loads of different craft materials in it for about £15. Kept my DD1 happy for hours.

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 20:36:48

Thanks Woolly I've already bought her a French knitting kit. I loved mine when I was little, so hopefully she will love it too!

BeyondRepair Sat 06-Dec-14 20:39:44

Djeco all the way grin

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=djeco+stamp+set&client=firefox-a&hs=czN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&biw=1280&bih=673&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=KWmDVOatLceAU-Ong8gP&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

craft sets, stamp sets, threading, glitter boards...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=glitter+boards&client=firefox-a&hs=C0N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&biw=1280&bih=673&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=TWmDVLrqCYL6UIT7gPgP&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

www.minimecca.com.au/kokeshis-paper-dolls-by-djeco#

tickety boo, alex and alexandra, bird kids etc all do djeco, bright minds...loads of stuff to make and do and sooooooo beautiful.

PeterParkerSays Sat 06-Dec-14 20:51:26

Could you do something simple like buy her cheap wooden spoons then she can draw her own dolls?

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 20:53:53

beyond I saw "djeco" on the mumsnet recommends list but couldn't work our what it actually is...have googled again, looks good but maybe too old??
Loire the look of the bright minds website...thank you!

FairyTrain Sat 06-Dec-14 20:56:35

PeterParker interesting link but she's not very good at drawing and would probably get frustrated (and need too much input from me!)

threepiecesuite Sat 06-Dec-14 20:57:07

My 4yo just loves cutting up catalogues and sticking pictures onto blank paper. She'll do this for hours!

Also, she like paint-your-own kits, there's a nice Pony one with beads and things.

Leeds2 Sat 06-Dec-14 20:58:17

Fuzzy felt kits.

My DD used to like Hama beads aged about 7 or 8. I think they introduced bigger beads for younger children.

EmGee Sat 06-Dec-14 21:23:27

Fairy - I have Djeco stuff for my 2.5yr old and almost 5 yo DDs!! They have lots of kits for younger kids.....I am addicted to the stuff!

I have also had lots of success with ELC craft kits like this fairy one

and this make your own wand

BeyondRepair Sat 06-Dec-14 21:46:50

www.brightminds.co.uk/djeco/b10?at1=4&p=1

can search by age.

alseb Sat 06-Dec-14 22:52:32

Do you have a branch of The Range near you? Fantastic craft section and lots of good craft kits etc for children.

306235388 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:55:13

Dd is just 4 and can be pretty much left alone with a wipe clean tablecloth and the following...

Glitter glue
Stickers
Lollipop sticks
Pritt sticks
Tissue paper
Tracing paper
Ribbons
String
Tinsel bits
Sequins
Beads and string
Paints - poster
Big team of paper
Lots of different types of child friendly scissors
Junk for modelling
Sticky tape in a dispenser

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now