Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a stunt scooter for 6yr old DD

(11 Posts)
velmadinkly Sat 06-Dec-14 15:09:33

Hi all

I would be eternally grateful if you could recommend me a stunt scooter for my 6yr old DD. I don't think she will use it for anything other than jumping off and doing 360 degree swings or bunny hops up curbs. The majority of the time it will just be used as a normal scooter, so I would like it to be quite quiet, rather tyan that rattling sound that some have.

It is going to be her present from Santa so I can't get her to have a go on one. I have tinnitus, therefore the need for a non rattling one because the sound just absolutley goes through me. Her current 3 wheeled one has kind of rubbery wheels, so I don't know if that is why it doesn't sound all rattley or because it doesn't fold.

I'm hoping to spend £40 absolute max, but more towards the £30 bracket would be much better.

TIA

HolgerDanske Sat 06-Dec-14 15:11:03

I'm not sure you can get stunt scooters for young children - they tend to be too heavy for little ones to easily use ime.

HolgerDanske Sat 06-Dec-14 15:13:10

They're also more expensive because they need better and more high strength materials and so on. The ones we sell are £85 up to about 200, and usually start about eight years old, if I remember correctly.

PandaNot Sat 06-Dec-14 15:22:34

My two got stunt scooters last year and they cost more because they are a much sturdier construction than a 'normal' scooter. They start at about £55 online for a really basic one but you might get one in a sale?

HolgerDanske Sat 06-Dec-14 15:23:16

But I'm sure if there is a suitable option (or more than one), Father Christmas will be able to find it with help from the wise ones of MN. Good luck smile

lemonmarmalade Sat 06-Dec-14 15:25:40

It's the folding ones that tend to rattle more.

I've seen kids in my d's class (year 2) riding these ones m.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Bikes-and-Rideons/Extreme-Scooters/JD-Bug-Pro-Stunt-Scooter-Pink/0103100

velmadinkly Sat 06-Dec-14 15:36:52

Ok, thanks.

What makes a stunt scooter, just that rather than a normal scooter other than the construction? Is it the fact that they can spin 360?

Her current 3 wheeled scooter which she is now too tall for is the tyoe where you lean to steer it rather than turn the handle bars.

Thanks lemonmaramlade about telling me the folding one rattle more than the fixed type, that is something to be aware of.

HolgerDanske Sat 06-Dec-14 15:41:32

Stunt scooters have better suspension and hardcore metals etc so that they can withstand a lot of shock to the body from slamming down and so on.
Jd bugs are good but the cheaper ones, £55 or less, aren't stunt scooters but just made for riding on.

velmadinkly Sat 06-Dec-14 15:58:58

Oh, I understand. I think I will just get her a cheaper one because even though that is on the list, I suspect it is just a 2 wheeled one she wants. She certainly won't be going to skate park or whatever to use it.

I will just make sure it spins 360 and isn't a folding one.

360Lenny Mon 02-Feb-15 22:51:47

Just so you know I am 11 years old and into stunt scooters and I am here to give you some info. I know out of experience that the rattling noise scooters make is because they are custom completes meaning that all the parts are different brands. If your child is only 6 I wouldn't recommend getting a stunt scooter as it looks stupid because the bars are up to their shoulders. I reply to your post you can't get scooters for less than £50 and mine is around £300. The younger kids also swarm skateparks and ruin it for other users as they have no spacial awareness and don't care if anyone but them gets injured. The parents I have encountered with are nasty as soon as their child gets a pin prick. I am only trying to help and I don't care what you haters think!

WUME Tue 03-Feb-15 14:30:01

I do love 11 year olds posting MN hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: