Talk

Advanced search

how many presents?

(47 Posts)
whentheshithitsthefan Sat 06-Dec-14 09:36:58

do your children get? not how much have you spent..but how many items?
and if you do santa, how do you do his gifts?
thanks.

PollyParrotsCrackers Sat 06-Dec-14 09:43:42

Everything here is from Santa, the amount differs depending on what is on the list (and if I actually stop buying when I'm "finished")
Stockings are just outside the bedroom doors and presents on the sofas.

HoHoHappyHolidays Sat 06-Dec-14 09:47:36

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2251381-Present-numbers

Now on 6 each for my 2DC. I might twitch again though :P They are only 2 and 3yo and I don't want to overwhelm them smile

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sat 06-Dec-14 09:50:20

Depends.... we spend about £70 on each DD (12 and 14) DD1 has a PS3 game + about 10 little pressies, DD2 has about 15 smaller pressies. Some are freebies - PG monkey + outfits - some are a tenner, all are personal (so not one for each - they are VERY different girls.)

we have never done Santa, but we put a little stocking with some make-up, chocolate, socks on their beds for first thing. The rest is on the dining room table for the morning - we have a dog...

gingerbreadmam Sat 06-Dec-14 09:51:01

i dont have dc but when i was little it was always a stocking with:
satsuma
apple
party popper (parents are mad and were young which probs helped)
cracker
chocolate coins
a small present maybe a cheap watch or cheap perfume or make up as i got older.

this was always on my bed when i got up and i am ashamed to say at almost 30 i still insist on a stocking, it is a family tradition afterall grin

we always had a pile of presents including one 'main' present e.g. bike, computer system, tv something like that. i would guess around about 20 presents each,usually like a sack / binbag full and there were 5 of us.

my parents have always been working class even on the brink of poor at times but christmas is and always has been a time when we got spoilt. however bar birthday and essentials like clothes we didnt really get anything else throughout the year. ahh christmas is magical!

we still get loads now and so do their gc. cant wait!

eltsihT Sat 06-Dec-14 09:55:09

My boys are 3 and 1, we have spent £30 on 1 present for each of them, they also get a stocking, which will contain, colouring book, stickers, pants and socks, torch, drawstring bag, plastic play food, chocolate coins

MollyBdenum Sat 06-Dec-14 10:17:25

Stocking with:
Satsuma
Chocolate coins
Chocolate Santa
Mini cheddars
Carton of juice
Kazoo (reused every year)
Sticky thing you throw at a window
Finger puppet (reused every year)
Fortune telling fish
Toothbrush
Bath bomb
Pen/pencil
A couple of other small things depending on interest or need, eg socks, lip balm, hair clips, stickers, cards.

Under the tree:

About 6 individual presents (books, felt tips, dolls, clothes etc)

A similar number of shared or family gifts ( this year it's walkie- talkies, Lego, drawing paper, pantomime tickets, ice skating tickets and a board game).

So 12 in total per child, but 9 parcels to unwrap.

DC are 8 and 5.

MollyBdenum Sat 06-Dec-14 10:20:58

Actually, there is way more chocolate than that in their stockings - I forgot the chocolate orange and the chocolate reindeer. I usually put salami in, too.

darlingfascistbullyboy Sat 06-Dec-14 11:11:26

Until a couple of years ago I always did what we had as children - 3-4 main presents around the tree & a stocking from Father Christmas (although we do it as a game - we don't do FC is real).

I figured out that the stockings (for 4 dc - 14-3yo) was costing a ridiculous amount of money &/or was just too much stuff. Now I do 10 proper presents (of varying cost - a few pounds up to about 30) + some chocolate each which 'FC' delivers. It ended up costing less & was better value. They get loads of stuff from relatives too (spread out though - PIL & their side on Christmas Eve, my parents on Christmas afternoon & my siblings/their cousins on Boxing day).

insanityscratching Sat 06-Dec-14 11:50:07

Father Christmas only fills the stocking here, all other gifts are from whoever bought them.Stockings contain a real mish mash of stuff from practical to fun, some really cheap to others more expensive. This year dd has five presents but that is because her main gift, a digital piano, cost a small fortune, usually she'd get ten or so.

CleaninQueen Sat 06-Dec-14 15:01:00

Don't do Santa, DSD (11) has had about £940 spent on her. £40 on her stocking and then she has 3 main presents and about 17 other small presents from us. She'll get more from the other sides from the family and from her mum.

clam Sat 06-Dec-14 15:13:21

£940!!!! What on earth have you bought her?

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 06-Dec-14 15:15:13

Mine are 3 and 4. They will have a stocking each with about 8-10 small presents (eg, those lego blind bags you get, or a kinder egg), a satsuma and chocolate. That is all FC brings.
Then 7 presents each and 1 joint one smile

Passthecake30 Sat 06-Dec-14 15:17:10

Kids have a stocking with about 10 items totalling £10 and 3 presents this year (ds cost £65, dd cost £40 but look the same size)

HoHoHappyHolidays Sat 06-Dec-14 15:39:48

cleanin curious to know what you have bought your DD smile

CleaninQueen Sat 06-Dec-14 15:50:27

She wanted a new rat cage which alone was £400
Bailey button uggs
Ice watch
Beats by Dre
iPod touch
Lush set
Pandora charms
Pandora earrings
DVDs
Books
Ps4 game
Clothes
Soap & glory set
Models inc nail varnish

carlywurly Sat 06-Dec-14 16:11:27

£940?! shock faints

About £100-£150 per child here. That includes bits like pyjamas and slippers which they needed anyway but I've wrapped up to boost the haul.

Nothing major in there - a ds game each (preowned) and a mix of lego, games, puzzles, books and angry birds. Probably 12 things each to unwrap.

lia66 Sat 06-Dec-14 16:15:19

30 gifts or thereabouts each ( some a few less, ds is 17 so things cost more so fewer parcels ). That includes 5 each from Santa, the rest round the tree from dh and I.

Artandco Sat 06-Dec-14 16:19:27

Here we do 3 main presents, plus stockings.

Artandco Sat 06-Dec-14 16:22:07

Oh the stockings are from Santa, the main presents from us

lia66 Sat 06-Dec-14 16:23:01

Yes stockings from fc here too.

DeadCert Sat 06-Dec-14 16:25:51

"About" 940?

Right. hmm

JeanetteDanielsBenziger Sat 06-Dec-14 16:27:46

Santa brings stockings and one main present, bikes this year.

They get a present from us and a present from each other.

then a present each from various friends and family, except from my parents who tend to go a bit overboard, there is a bag for each of them which must have about 10 presents each

lia66 Sat 06-Dec-14 16:32:27

We have no other family and dh likes to go mad at Christmas, he never had very good presents when he was a kid, ( he told ds 17 this last year ) and so wants our kids to have the best, most sought after, up to date things.

supermariossister Sat 06-Dec-14 16:34:58

father christmas brings a gift for the bed usually no more than £5, we have spent around £200 per child but that is things as cheap as £1 ranging to £60. none of the children asked for a main present such as consoles this year so it means they have a lot to open as most are relatively small in size and cost

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now