Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy veggie pigs in blankets

(21 Posts)
Onlyonamonday Fri 05-Dec-14 23:12:13

I have two vegetatarians for Christmas dinner
I have heard somewhere you can buy pigs in blankets veggi version?
Anyone know where?

BikeRunSki Fri 05-Dec-14 23:15:00

I am veggie. Have never heard of this! It about as unveggie as you can get!

earlyriser Fri 05-Dec-14 23:28:23

You can get them from vbites, usually available in Holland and Barrett, driest from vbites or goodness direct.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 06-Dec-14 04:04:06

Check with your guests if they would eat meal alternatives because some don't. It will save you the cost & hassle of trying to find it. I would offer lots of veg and pulse/bean based sides.

www.food.com/recipe/onion-mushroom-stuffing-10698

Pollywallywinkles Sat 06-Dec-14 07:05:40

I'm a veggie and wouldn't want veggie pigs in blankets. Check with your guests first.

Pointlessfan Sat 06-Dec-14 07:13:31

No I wouldn't either, veggie "bacon" is vile.

Yoruba Sat 06-Dec-14 08:36:20

We are all veggie and would love this! Have never found veggie pigs in blankets though sad we made them one year and they weren't great tbh, for the time it took.

Let me know if you find anything!

Wilford Sat 06-Dec-14 09:34:36

Gherkins wrapped in lettuce?grinwink

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 06-Dec-14 09:39:25

It's a common, although borne-of-kindness mistake, that meat-eaters make - that vegetarians want a meat substitute.

I don't like eating meat, sometimes the very thought make me nauseous, so pretending to eat it can sometimes give the same effect.

CheeseandGherkins Sat 06-Dec-14 10:04:38

I'm a vegetarian and I would love these! I also enjoy the meat substitutes and really hate the way loads of people think I'd prefer some kind of disgusting lentil/nut concoction.

FishWithABicycle Sat 06-Dec-14 10:09:03

I love veggie pigs in blankets but have never bought them ready-wrapped, they take less than a minute to make half a dozen from the appropriate Quorn items.

weaselsquirrel Sat 06-Dec-14 10:15:09

In holland and Barrett you can get a celebration roast which has slices of meat (really lovely) and kilted sausages.

limegreenpickle Sat 06-Dec-14 10:39:49

Linda McCartney sausage rolls are very nice ��

Onlyonamonday Sat 06-Dec-14 13:12:04

Lots of mixed opinions here smile
I am one of the veggies but I do like the veggie versions of meat. To me it's the thought of eating the flesh of dead animal that I can't stand So therefore the quorn sausages and veggie mince type things are fine .. I know this would be ok with the others too as they are close family .. Thanks for all your opinions, I'll keep looking fsmile

soaccidentprone Sat 06-Dec-14 13:17:29

I haven't seen any.

I'd make my own from Linda McCartney sausages and quorn bacon (the frozen stuff is nicer IMO)

Moln Sat 06-Dec-14 13:24:00

You could make veggie devil on horseback instead - using a thin strip of chargriled aubergine around the prune rather than bacon.

I'm not a fan of quorn/veggie 'meat' though.

Onlyonamonday Sat 06-Dec-14 15:01:41

soaccidentprone good idea will probably do this thanks

Onlyonamonday Sat 06-Dec-14 15:08:57

Some nice ideas here Im doing nut roast( frozen blush )all the veggies veg gravy ... Turkey for the meat eaters

Mitchymatchy Sat 06-Dec-14 15:58:14

I'd rather have something like halloumi and prunes - I know the prunes sound weird but they are incredibly tasty with bacon, so halloumi might work.

Poolomoomon Sat 06-Dec-14 16:44:18

they sell them in Holland and barrett but they're only available as part of the celebration roast so come with vegan Turkey slices too. Very nice though!

Or make your own using veggie bacon (Quorn or once again Holland and sell vbites 'bacon') and quorn cocktail sausages! That's what I'm doing this year.

I've been a veggie for years, I don't mind mock meat but some of it is pretty gross. Quorn bacon isn't the best, the Vbites one from Holland&Barrett is far superior. Quorn in general isn't the greatest, much prefer Linda McCartney and Vbites! And a company called Fry's that's non-GMO and vegan, also sold in holland&barrett in the freezer section.

sweetkitty Sat 06-Dec-14 17:03:34

I just have a Quorn sausage veggie bacon is vile.

Quorn is ok but I always need a strong sauce with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now