Talk

Advanced search

presents for 5-7yr old boys

(15 Posts)
aniceearlynight Fri 05-Dec-14 20:29:32

I have to buy a present for godson aged 7 and his younger brother aged 5. They have tons of lego etc - in fact they have tons of everything as they also have an older brother and sister. I think I gave GS a small Star Wars lego kit last year so can't do that again.

Godson's present can be up to £20, younger brother more like £10. I have two teenage DDs and am clueless about young boys. Any good arts and crafts? What sort of crazes are sweeping the playground at the moment? Any good book ideas (godson is keen reader but has done all the usual suspects e.g. Dahl, Walliams etc)?

Any suggestions very gratefully received!

TurboTheChicken Fri 05-Dec-14 20:36:53

My five year old and all his friends are Minecraft obsessives, the paper kits are pretty good and the new book Blockopedia has great reviews. DS is getting the book for Christmas.

Plants Vs Zombies is also very popular and K-Nect have some cool kits - I'm sure I only paid about £7 for the potato kit, there is a larger traffic cone kit that looks great. You could get them one each so they can play together?

aniceearlynight Fri 05-Dec-14 20:57:48

Brilliant ideas Turbo, thank you so much. Might go for Blockopedia for the GS although have absolutely no idea what it's all about. Do you think it would be age appropriate for a 7-yr-old?

LetticeKnollys Fri 05-Dec-14 21:07:46

Minecraft is fine for a 7 year old but I'd make sure he's into Minecraft first - my stepson is a clever 7 but just doesn't 'get' Minecraft yet, and he definitely wouldn't have at 5.

Remote controlled car/helicopter
Hotwheelz
Space hopper
Some kind of science kit, such as make your own volcano or rocket? You can find them in most toy shops.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 05-Dec-14 21:16:31

My 7 year old son loves lego and minecraft, but apart from that he also likes hex bugs, hamma beads (if you wanted to get something crafty - my 5 year old DD also likes these), hot wheels, and has started getting more into board games.

But if you can find out if they like minecraft, then anything to do with that will be a winner.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Fri 05-Dec-14 21:26:39

minions are very popular grin my dd 6 (loves 'boy' things) asked for a fart blaster for her bday. she loved it but did cost £20... very annoying toy but played with every day!!

moshi monsters - my dd loves these, recently got the gumball machine for them which was very popular.

how to train your dragon - cressida Cowell writes a series of books (which films are based on) possibly for eldest? also DVDs, toys and figures for it.

for 5 year old the dinosaur that pooped Christmas is fantastic - had me and dd in fits of childish laughter. she also took into school and most of the reception class adored it!!

aniceearlynight Fri 05-Dec-14 22:52:27

What brilliant ideas. I am laughing at the idea of the Fart Blaster....worth buying just for amusement value as bound to drive my friend (and her husband) absolutely bonkers!

Board games are out as they have so much stuff esp for that age range and slightly above but the hot wheelz and the minions are both tickling my fancy!

Thank you all so much. flowers and wine all round!

LizzieMint Fri 05-Dec-14 22:55:13

I was just going to suggest the Fart blaster - my DS got it for his birthday and it gets a LOT of use. And every child who comes round to our house thinks it's hilarious too.

NotSoSkinnyNow Fri 05-Dec-14 23:04:26

I've just ordered the fart blaster for DS(6) along with minions operation....like the old fashioned one we had as kids, but pulling all sorts of funny things out of a minion.

He also loves inventing and experimenting at the moment, so like a pp has suggested, a build your own erupting volcano

Spiderman is also a popular choice in our house.

cece Fri 05-Dec-14 23:05:36

Hot wheels are rubbish - don't waste your money.

My boys play with their

nerf guns
lego
hexbugs
footballs/rugby balls
scooters

nightswift Fri 05-Dec-14 23:09:53

I'm not too sure the parents will thank you for a fart blaster on xmas day - different if you were buying for your own dc!

nightswift Fri 05-Dec-14 23:17:22

My ds youngest is 6, would like:

Good £20 football
Sports clothing - hoody
craft stuff - things like coloured modellling clay
fabric pens and plain tshirts/pillow cases

It really depends what they are in to - my ds wouldn't thank you for lego or books or anything superhero. Lots of dc this age are into starwars. Ultimate fx lightsabres are amazing - best thing we ever got as batteries last months.

aniceearlynight Sat 06-Dec-14 17:34:41

Friend has completely vetoed the fart blaster – she was like 'are you insane?' fgrin

Godson is a keen reader and we went to DD1's Christmas Bazaar today where I bought him 10 books for £5 so that will be his main present and I'll get him some novelty erasers etc too.

Still need something for the 5yr old...hexbugs look good so am off to investigate. They have enough Lego to sink a ship, she has begged for no more!

1122christy Sat 06-Dec-14 22:22:38

My 6 yr is wanting marvel hero mashers - various marvel heros that can be mixed up with each (captain Americas arms with hulks body etc) they are around £10 each and argos do some for 2 for £15.
Nerf guns?
You could see if they have skylanders or disney infinity and get them a figure or 2 each.

Redtartanshoes Sat 06-Dec-14 22:25:21

Monopoly empire for 7 year old?

There are quite a few good books in WHSmith at the moment- Dr who and Star Wars encyclopaedias both worth a punt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now