Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a special drink when you're putting up the tree?

(27 Posts)
TrousersSchmowsers Fri 05-Dec-14 17:43:49

For me it's a JD & coke on ice, which I only drink at Christmas. I just have one treble once the tree is upright and steady. It makes me feel festive and care a lot less about the DC's decorating just the one branch.

I'm just having one now :D

Blue2014 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:46:26

Ginger wine, every year grin

EatShitDezza Fri 05-Dec-14 17:47:35

Rum or Amaretto

Not just a xmas thing but I hate doing the tree so it makes it more fun

AuntieStella Fri 05-Dec-14 17:47:37

No, drinking isn't bound in that closely to events.

But I usually buy a bottle of amaretto during Advent, and only really drink it during Christmastide. And my DM gets either Benedictine or crime de menthe and those remind me strongly if Christmas too.

AuntieStella Fri 05-Dec-14 17:48:18

Creme de menthe, not 'crime' (DYAC! but as I don't like it much, it kinda fits).

Poolbirthx2 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:51:03

Mine is bailey and ice...will be starting mine shortly grin

meditrina Fri 05-Dec-14 17:52:29

My DParent's Christmas tipple was cherry brandy, and the mere sniff of it makes me feel festive.

Ginger wine is definitely a winter drink: I associate it with being more or less snowed in with a friend in Scotland. Happy (premarital fblush ) days!

gemdrop84 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:54:01

Bailey's with ice, although last year I had Tesco finest salted caramel Irish cream and it was delicious, haven't found any this year so got Bailey's

TrousersSchmowsers Fri 05-Dec-14 18:26:30

Hooray not just me then smile

Salted caramel Irish cream?! Cor

yanniwoo Fri 05-Dec-14 22:18:11

Milky coffee, while DD has hot milk w/ honey and we decorate the tree together before watching a festive film.

Chottie Sat 06-Dec-14 04:56:43

Champagne with cranberry juice, followed by tea and the first slice of Christmas cake smile and Christmas music on too.

Waitingonasunnyday Sat 06-Dec-14 09:15:14

In previous years DC left a Baileys out for the Christmas tree fairy who would flutter in when they were asleep and make sure all decorations were in just the right spot, boxes put away and everything was hoovered up. Not sure if they'll fall for it this year seeing as the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas have both had their chips lately confused

AtlanticDrift Sat 06-Dec-14 10:50:17

A drink! I wish. Between cursing over bloody lights and the dc dropping and smashing various bobbles its a v stressful experience

Huffpot Sat 06-Dec-14 12:23:46

Oh gemdrop you've made me wanted salted caramel irish cream now! I've just googled it and it's on the tesco website on offer for £8 grin grin

kormachameleon Sat 06-Dec-14 12:28:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gemdrop84 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:14:45

Oooh huffpot I love you!!

FiloFunky Sat 06-Dec-14 13:24:59

yes. each year i give it a lot of thought. but each year i am swayed to any bottle that had a % mark on it.....

sometimes i feel sorry for the coffee... poor left out coffee sad

BrieAndChilli Sat 06-Dec-14 13:29:21

We wait til after we have finished decorating the tree then all have hot choc with cream and candy canes. Oh and a mince pie. Just had ours now. Tree is up and I had managed to even out the decorations after the kids have got bored of putting them on.

Helgathehairy Sat 06-Dec-14 19:30:23

We usually make mulled wine but this year we both (DH & I) have colds and feel a bit miserable so we had lemsip!

Awakeagain Sat 06-Dec-14 19:41:40

No, but what a brilliant idea!!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 06-Dec-14 20:29:54

I don't drink alcohol but I bought a bottle of "ChocShot" (Greg wallace and John Torodes little faces smiling at my from the display packaging sold it to me blush )

Some hot milk and a swirl of aerosol cream and a Flake.

We have no decorations except the Advent Tree up. DS birthday tomorrow.
Plan to start on Wednesday.

wplum Sat 06-Dec-14 20:35:44

I had a red wine to help with the tree erection!

BeyondRepair Sat 06-Dec-14 20:40:55

NO BUT what a good idea, mine shall be prosecco.

BooDidIScareYou Sat 06-Dec-14 20:41:45

Baileys. And whilst wrapping the presents. and whilst writing the cards....

lemisscared Sat 06-Dec-14 20:48:02

I have never done this - WHHY have i never done this???? JD and coke my favourite too. Or brandy, or baileys, or port..........oh, what to choose what to choose.

I did have mulled wine when doing the present wrapping on christmas eve, that was a big mistake as DP got stuck doing bedtime so was ages as DD not sleepy and by the time he came down i'd drunk it all,......ouch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now