Talk

Advanced search

When should children open their presents from grandparents?

(28 Posts)
Destinycalls Fri 05-Dec-14 15:31:36

We have plenty of presents for the DCs and they will be visited by Santa on the day fsmile

But my parents have spent about £120 on the DCs presents and they are lovely presents. We will not be seeing them this year on the day but will on Boxing Day although they only live 20 minutes away. We are going to DHs parents for the day.

So when do the DCs (5 and 2) get their presents from my parents? If they leave them here under the tree they won't get the pleasure of seeing them opened but at 5 and 2 they have an inkling Santa only comes to their house and not the GPs!

How do you get round this? What's the normal thing to do?

EatShitDezza Fri 05-Dec-14 15:34:10

You tell them they are from their grandparents and let them open them xmas day.

My dad lives in Ireland so he usually sends money and I buy my son something from him. He always knows who it's from. He's 5 and understands

He opens mums gifts at hers.

Nanasueathome Fri 05-Dec-14 15:36:31

Open them on 26th, when your parents can tell them that Santa had so many things for them that he dropped some off at grandparents house for them
We are having 2 Christmases this year
One on 25th December and then another on 30th December due to my son and daughter in law taking the children away with her parents for Christmas week
We will simply tell the children ( 4 and 3) that Santa left things for them to open at my house and will exchange adult presents also at that time
Am so excited!!!!!

wigfieldrocks Fri 05-Dec-14 15:39:55

Yes I second keeping them for Boxing Day at your parents. As a child my family were dotted around all over the country and it was so exciting having more presents to open on visits after Xmas. It will be nice for your parents to see them open them too - just say Santa left some there for them to make room for all their presents at home.

sleepyhead Fri 05-Dec-14 15:39:56

At that age I'd get your parents to keep the presents at their house and open them on the day. It'll spread the excitement out as well - my two both got overwhelmed opening too many presents at once and loved getting something to open later on.

Thurlow Fri 05-Dec-14 15:40:03

Personally I prefer kids opening presents when the people who gave them are there, if its within a few days of Christmas or birthdays. So we're doing Christmas with the IL's on the 21st, Christmas with us on Christmas day, and Christmas with my parents on Boxing Day.

It depends whether they think all presents are from Santa though! We do most presents from the person who gave them and others from Santa, which gets around that problem. Are they going to be told that all the presents are from Santa, and none from their grandparents?

IssyStark Fri 05-Dec-14 16:14:31

In both our families when growing up and with the kids now, we've always made it clear that stockings are from Father Christmas and everything under the tree are from specific people that you say thank you to, either on the phone or in person and by letter once they are old enough to write. I've never quite understood the rationale for saying all presents are from Santa.

Spreading presents over more than one day at those ages is a really good idea, so I'd have them open them with their GP.

Destinycalls Fri 05-Dec-14 16:18:22

I am definitely thinking opening them on Boxing Day at DPs house and spread the present opening out. Mum is great for making up stories about Santa not being able to fit all their presents under our tree so dropped them off there or Rudolph was too tired for a second trip!

Mum does the present buying and she would be so disappointed not to see the present opening! She is really thoughtful to both DCs. I remember having so many to open on the day they were just scattered about and we only played with one or two.

Thanks...it's Boxing Day then. fgrin

Chennai Fri 05-Dec-14 16:19:09

It would be lovely for your parents and for your children if they give them the presents when they see them on Boxing Day.

As the presents are from their grandparents (so presumably not from Santa), does it matter that Father Christmas only delivers to your house?

As others have said, it would also spread the fun over an extra day.

AlmaMartyr Fri 05-Dec-14 16:19:09

We've always done the same as Issy. With grandparents, we're normally lucky enough to see them all on Christmas Day but when we've not been able to I've asked what they would prefer - to save them for when they see the kids or hand them over for Christmas Day. Personally, I prefer them all to be spread out and for the GPs to see them open them.

blibblibs Fri 05-Dec-14 16:21:48

But surely they are presents from the Grandparents and would be opened when you visited seeing as its the next day? Why would you even need to involve Santa?? confused

chanie44 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:22:42

Wait for Boxing Day when the grandparents can see them open the presents.

We have a large family and the children get lots of presents, so it's nice to spread out the presents.

DuelingFanjo Fri 05-Dec-14 16:23:09

The presents from your Parents and inlaws are not from santa.

So let them open them on Boxing Day when they see them.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Fri 05-Dec-14 16:23:14

I think it is up the the gift giver.

vanillabird Fri 05-Dec-14 16:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pootles2010 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:24:15

We always say Grandparents presents are from Grandparents! Otherwise ds would wonder why they hadn't bought him anything, surely?

He will open them on Boxing day when we see them, which works better anyway - Christmas day can get a little present-overloady.

BertieBotts Fri 05-Dec-14 16:24:42

Don't you have a smartphone? Record it for them. You can hold it above your head vaguely pointing at them if you don't want to watch DC open their presents through a screen, or rig it up in a strategic corner of the room and go over to press record then let it run.

If you're seeing them the next day though I agree it's nice to do it at their place.

DamselNotInHerDress Fri 05-Dec-14 16:41:43

Open them on Boxing Day at their house. They are from the gps not fc so no other explanation needed.
He delivers the presents to your house for them.
We have my family over on Christmas day and do all those presents then, and on boxing day go to my inlaws and they have presents there from their cousins, aunts/uncles and gps.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 05-Dec-14 16:45:07

Some things - stocking and most stuff from us comes from Santa. Presents from other people come from them.

We have similar this year - Christmas day with DH's family and then Boxing Day with mine.

marne2 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:48:35

My dd's open grandparents presents on the 27th when we go to see them, never been a problem as Santa doesn't give all the gifts ( Santa gifts are from Santa, family gifts are from family ), it also breaks things up a little bit, they get plenty on Christmas Day so it's nice to have some gifts the next day or the day after.

Wilf83 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:52:31

My nephew is 4 & believes in Santa but has never questioned why we give him presents or my parents give him presents on Boxing Day.

Personally I will be telling my dd when she is older that the stocking comes from Santa & the rest is from my dh & I.

NickiFury Fri 05-Dec-14 16:55:17

Parents keep them at theirs and you open them on Boxing Day. Extends the fun even more smile.

MrsLindor Fri 05-Dec-14 17:02:00

Santa only fills stockings here, the credit for everything else goes to the gift giver. This is reinforced by putting things in the stocking mummy would never buy like chocolate spread in a tube.

So gifts from people we'll see on Christmas day or boxing day are opened in front of the gift giver.

AGnu Fri 05-Dec-14 17:22:58

If you're going down the Santa-brings-everything route then surely just "These must have fallen off Santa's sleigh but they've got your names on. Isn't it lucky they fell down our chimney?" will suffice!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 05-Dec-14 17:34:29

Why do presents from your parents come from Santa, out of interest? I find that very odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now