Talk

Advanced search

ds needs helo with dh xmas gift

(16 Posts)
redkindof Thu 04-Dec-14 21:10:41

i posted in chat yesterday but got no reply so ds as been saving his birthday and other money for Xmas pressents as like his sister who as a part time jib he wants to buy Me and dh in his words 'better pressents this year
So dh mentioned he wanted this phone and he's adamant , ds is on buying it for dh but I've noticed its 0 cheaper on upgardde so I've tried all Sims in house and none of them qualify and not mny most of my friends are on giff gaff or three so I don't mean to sound rude or cheeky but does anybody want to kindly help ds and make me feel less guility in letting him spend all his money so any phone experts know if I can get an upgrade pay as you go without sim or does anybody want to let me have an old sim upgrade code etc thanks

Starfishiecloverhv Thu 04-Dec-14 21:15:11

He's saved his birthday money? I'm sorry but I would not let him use this for Christmas presents, especially a phone, no matter how much he wanted to.

insanityscratching Thu 04-Dec-14 21:35:07

You can't let your ds spend his birthday money on Christmas presents for you and dh. A phone is an expensive gift and IMO your dh shouldn't have asked for it from ds in the first place. If my dc ask for suggestions (and the older ones all have well paid full time jobs) I only ever suggest a book or a dvd never anything that costs very much.Why don't you buy dh the phone and get ds to buy some chocolates or socks instead?

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Thu 04-Dec-14 21:39:10

You can't let your son use his birthday money to buy his dad a phone - that's awful.

WD41 Thu 04-Dec-14 21:40:04

Is your ds a child, or an adult who isn't working?

Either way you shouldn't be encouraging him to get you expensive presents he obviously cannot afford.

gamerchick Thu 04-Dec-14 21:43:14

Why on earth are you and your dude letting your child spend his money on an expensive gift?

The rule is.. you pick something really cheap and be ecstatic it's the best present ever. Please don't let your child buy your bloke a phone.

InfinitySeven Thu 04-Dec-14 21:45:41

I'm baffled by what you mean, if I'm honest, and I've upgraded a lot of phones!

The handset is cheaper on upgrade deals, if I've understood correctly.

For contract phones, the handset is usually a lot cheaper on upgrade, because your contract is about to end and therefore you can leave. Companies offer the phone cheaper so that you'll stay, and agree to a new contract. It's guaranteed income for them. People wouldn't be able to give you their upgrade, though - it'd be linked to the account. Some people do accept an upgrade offer and then sell the phone on eBay, but it'll then sell for the usual amount - they make the profit on the phone price. If they upgraded it and sold it to you for the upgrade price, they'd have agreed a new contract but got no benefit.

For pay-as-you-go, upgrade deals are often so rubbish that you might as well as just buy a new phone and swap the SIM over. You don't need a code to upgrade, though - you need a valid account that is reaching the end of it's period.

So what is that you're looking for, and what phone does DS want to get? You can usually try and hunt out a deal on eBay, but you do have to be careful because if it arrives broken, it's a hassle, and you don't have that much time to be posting stuff back and forth.

I agree with everyone else about letting him spend his money, too. I'd give him £20/£50 and tell him that's his budget, and he needs to buy something within that. It'd be very mean to let him spend all of his money on a present for your DH, however much he wants too...

redkindof Thu 04-Dec-14 21:46:44

I probably needed to explain a bit more but dh didn't ask for the phone he's had the same phone for 4 years and has mentioned problems with his phone but never asked. Also dh and ds are close and ds had some mental health issues this year which dh played the most significant part in process of recovery . The phone is no more than 60 if I can get upgrade code and ds seems set on getting this for dh, in terms of myself getting him it, its about the personal touch of ds and me and dh do different pressents.

InfinitySeven Thu 04-Dec-14 21:48:12

What do you mean by an upgrade code?

magpieginglebells Thu 04-Dec-14 21:59:04

I have not heard of upgrades for pay as you go but could his old phone be traded in or something to get the other phone cheaper?

insanityscratching Thu 04-Dec-14 22:06:51

But don't you get that his birthday money should be spent on something for himself? I'm very close to my ds, I would not allow him to spend his birthday money on me and I'd make sure he knew that even a box of malteasers would be very much appreciated.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 04-Dec-14 22:11:24

How old is your son??

InfinitySeven Thu 04-Dec-14 22:26:33

If his phone is 4 years old and breaking, it's unlikely to have much trade in value.

I don't think we can help anymore until OP clarifies what she needs.

attheendoftheday Fri 05-Dec-14 08:18:12

I don't know about upgrade codes, but £60 is an awful lot for a child to pay.

NorksEnormous Fri 05-Dec-14 13:53:36

I would feel terrible if my child spent a his birthday money on my Christmas present! Last year I got Christmas tree beads from the pound shop and I told him it was just what I needed! They were first thing on the tree this year.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 05-Dec-14 14:02:51

I get that your son wants to do something special for his dad, but I would still feel awful if my son spent his birthday money on me.

Re: upgrade codes, I'm not actually sure what you mean either. When mobile phone companies advertise upgrade prices, it's for existing customers when they become eligible for an upgrade, it's not something you can transfer to other people normally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now