Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD is really upset! Please help me fix this?

(18 Posts)
fuzzpig Thu 04-Dec-14 19:19:24

DD has never really wanted to actually 'meet' Santa. She doesn't really like people dressed up anyway and when she's seen people dressed up as him, she's known it wasn't the real deal even though her belief in his existence is absolute.

So, this year she's been really excited - she's moved up to juniors and it seems they make a much bigger promotion of the fact that Santa will be at the school fair (same fair she's been to before - but not wanted to see Santa at!). They seem to have been going on about it all week! I think they are trying to get more families along this year and really pushing it. Fair enough I guess.

But we can't go this year - I managed to get tickets to a family Christmas concert I've been wanting to get to for years, it's my birthday thing with lunch too, and we are all really excited. But when she realised this means no Santa she was devastated and said she didn't want to go anymore sad unfortunately I don't think we can even fit it in before we head up to London. I'm gutted for her as she was so excited.

So, I've decided to write her a letter from Santa and deliver it tomorrow morning. I'd like to say she could see Santa at the grotto in town (which, again, she's never shown any interest in) and general nice things. I might fold it up with some glitter.

I know some MNers do replies to Santa letters but I've never done this before so any tips/examples etc would be great pretty please! I have no idea what to write!

Also for the first time they wrote Santa letters this year - wrote a few random items (some they'll get, some not) and asked him "how do you deliver to all the children in one night?" - HOW do I answer that question please?

Many thanks in advance! thanks

Floppityflop Thu 04-Dec-14 19:28:46

How does Santa deliver all the presents in one night? Because he has magical powers / invented a time machine?

Esmum07 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:42:21

I do a letter from Santa every year for DS. I'd do something like

Dear DD

I am so sorry I won't be able to see you on at the school fair but I am sure you will have a lovely time at the concert. I love concerts and really enjoy singing along to the songs. Do you enjoy singing? My elves tell me I can't sing very well and the reindeer do tend to run away when I try but I love it!

I know you are disappointed that we won't meet on (day of the fair) but I am going to be in lots of places this year as so many children want to talk to me. Actually, I am going to be at my grotto in the town centre next week. Maybe mummy or daddy will bring you along then. Does that sound like a good idea?

Have a good time at the concert. I hope you have the chance to sing! And maybe I will see you in town soon.

Merry Christmas!

Your friend

Santa

I usually use one of the signature fonts on the computer so it looks handwritten.

The only problem is, of course, that your DD may expect Santa to know exactly what she is talking about at the grotto when the poor man won't have a clue!

Hope that helps!

fuzzpig Thu 04-Dec-14 19:57:18

Oh esmum that is brilliant. Thank you!

Floppity I tried answering 'magic' but she wasn't having any of that grin at least she wants a more detailed explanation IYSWIM. Argh.

howdoyousolvethisproblem Thu 04-Dec-14 20:05:27

There is a book I bought for my children called how Santa really works, might be worth getting that to go with the letter? Has lots of great explanations!

Nerf Thu 04-Dec-14 20:05:28

Santa freezes time and then whizzes round while everyone is still. Durr.

CaisleanDraiochta Thu 04-Dec-14 21:05:48

I love writing 'magical' letters and it has really encouraged my reluctant writer DD to write back. But of course each time she does I have to write another back- she has had 3 letters from the elves (Santa is too busy to write often, but they get letters from him on the 6th and 24th Dec) already this year. They also get a tiny letter from the tooth fairy each time they lose a tooth too! mine would be similar to what esmum has already posted, but I use a downloaded font called Candy Cane.

As for the big question, I would answer something like this. First of all, he doesn't deliver gifts to all children. Some don't believe or are too naughty (if you use that, I know not everyone agrees with it) and others have different beliefs that don't include Santa, but may or may not include gifts from some other person. So that cuts down the work load to a more manageable number.

Next, out of the children Santa does visit, not all receive gifts on the same day/night. Some are visited on the 6th Dec, others on the 24th or 25th and the rest on 6th January. So now the number of deliveries per night is divided by 4, making it a much less difficult task.

Finally the science bit, which is a bit tricky to understand. Basically Santa uses the different time zones on the planet to his advantage and by travel in the opposite direction to the way the earth is rotating, he manages to extend his 'day' by almost double, to approx. 47 hours. It really is much less magical than it seems once you understand. Although there is still the question of how the sleigh travels so fast (something close to the speed of light) but scientists suspect it is due to the special diet of the reindeer- a kind of mixture of pixie dust and brussel sprouts, that gives them an extra speedy boost from the rear fgrin

OneLeggedCrabGoingInCircles Thu 04-Dec-14 21:45:22

Royal Mail have an address you send their letters to with an SAE and each child gets a reply from Santa.

Wherever your Christmas concert is there is bound to be a Santa near by so you can take her there instead perhaps.

crje Thu 04-Dec-14 22:35:37

Does she have to go with you?
Could she go to Santa with a friend and be picked up when ye get home?

fuzzpig Thu 04-Dec-14 23:32:04

Loving all these replies thanks! smile

DD is definitely coming with us - she is genuinely excited about the concert and lunch out and searching for paddington statues, she loves London (it's at st Martin in the fields btw) but she often gets upset when she is missing out on something or when plans seem to change (which they didn't actually this time, but I mean she assumed she was going because the school talked about it, if that makes sense). I know that she would, when it came down to it, be far more upset to miss the concert. It was quite expensive for our budget so it's not something we can do every year.

Anyway I've decided I will be doing the letter largely nicked from esmum on Saturday morning as we are all at home and we can enjoy finding it all together. I may even sneak a little chocolate santa in there wink

I had a chat with her before bed and reminded her that Santa will be at lots of different places this month, so she could see him somewhere else and we can keep an eye out in case he's in London (but at least if we don't see any then I can say "remember he's in [our town] today") she seemed very happy with that, but I'm still doing the letter smile

Thanks everyone thanks

fuzzpig Thu 04-Dec-14 23:36:27

Oh and DD would definitely enjoy the Brussel sprout explanation grin

justmummyof2 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:45:47

I am sure you have decided what you are doing, your latest comment was positive. Just want to stick my nose in...
As an extra (but I have done this every year for dd8 and will do for newborn ds) is the Portable North Pole. It is FANTASTIC!!
Just google 'pnp'. Gives the children great delight, serves as a digital keepsake in your email and whats' more it is absolutely free!!! (Well you can choose to pay and do a premium version, I did once and actually thought it spoiled the entire video... I stick to the free one now)
Christmas wishes to all mumsnetters x

Starlightbright1 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:58:29

Oh Esmum your letter made my eyes leak.

I bought my DS How Santa works last year. He studies this book and even questions me on it

whevs Fri 05-Dec-14 13:19:16

Do you have a male friend or relative who could do a Santa phone call? Greg James does them on his radio 1 show- so sweet, the kids really believe it is the big man...

Millytint Fri 05-Dec-14 19:34:46

Hi, my kids adore the Portable North pole video. (Google it) It is free and you personalise with name, picture etc. it really is lovely! Once you have it ready, you can tell them Santa has e mailed mummy with a message for them.

RoundRobinSparkles Fri 05-Dec-14 19:40:23

How does he deliver all his presents in one night?

1. He's Magic and travels at the speed of light.
2. It's only night for half of the world and when they wake up its night time for the other half.
3. Not everybody celebrates Christmas. The ones that don't celebrate Christmas don't get presents so Santa doesn't visit them.

YaMasYaDaWithAWigOn Fri 05-Dec-14 19:41:15

Some really great replies here, I just popped on to say the deadline for the Royal Mail Santa letter was today, so unfortunately that wouldn't work.

Timeforabiscuit Fri 05-Dec-14 20:17:18

I third PNP! It really blows their minds when he knows what year they are in at school and EVERYTHING grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now