Talk

Advanced search

Documentaries for kids

(8 Posts)
dumdedah Thu 04-Dec-14 11:11:56

I'm after suggestions for documentaries for kids - on any kind of theme. The Attenborough ones (Blue Planet, Africa etc) come up a lot as well recommended, but I'm a bit wary of the violence. I was drawn to nature documentaries as a child, but was really disturbed by the visuals of the weakest in the pack being brought down and that kind of thing. Still puts me off watching them (which is a shame... but I find the images stay with me for a really long time). Anyway, my kids, especially the 7yo seem similarly minded. So are there any Attenborough ones which show fewer of the harsh realities of nature? Or any other non-Attenborough suggestions? We have watched Spellbound together, and enjoyed that. And I've ordered In the Shadow of the Moon. Kids are 7yo and 5yo. Thanks.

NorwaySpruce Thu 04-Dec-14 11:32:06

Have they seen that Attenborough one, set in the Natural History Museum?

www.amazon.co.uk/David-Attenboroughs-Natural-History-Museum/dp/B00HW4NUQS

My lot love it, especially as they go to the museum fairly often (but it's great even if you don't).

Methe Thu 04-Dec-14 11:35:23

We're watching Secrets of the Castle at the moment at it's really good.

Mine are almost 5 and 9 and are really enjoying it.

SnowSpot Thu 04-Dec-14 11:36:58

YYY to Secrets of the Castle! My DS 10 & 7 love it, as do I. Very simple and fun.

Also we like those science ones - Bang Goes the Theory.

Methe Thu 04-Dec-14 11:37:16

Should say they are almost 6 and 19.. Birthdays just after christmas confused

Methe Thu 04-Dec-14 11:38:11

I didn't even get it right then.

Third time lucky!

6 and 10!

SnowSpot Thu 04-Dec-14 11:40:22

The other one the kids love is 'Cosmos'. It's got tons of episodes and describes how the universe was made. lots of info and not scary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

dumdedah Thu 04-Dec-14 12:21:32

These are great. Just watched the trailer for the Science Museum one, now I'm looking forward to seeing that! (in the Amazon basket). Was thinking dvds for xmas gifts (which I wasn't specific about) but the castle ones will be handy to put on when I need a break for xmas tasks. I had ordered the Cosmos one too, but thinking more for DH - good to know that will make for whole family viewing. Thanks for suggestions! More also welcome smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now