Talk

Advanced search

Present for a friend with new job... and nowhere to live?

(6 Posts)
CarrotAndCucumber Wed 03-Dec-14 23:24:13

A friend of mine has moved miles away to start a new job. She doesn't have the money for a deposit or anything, so is staying with various friends until she has enough. (Just to explain, she's only just graduated, so no real savings as a buffer.)

We don't tend to give very big gifts (generally £15 or so - maybe something like a book and nice chocolates, or nice handcream or scarf).

Do you think she'd maybe prefer vouchers/cash she can use as she wants? Or would it be nice to have a 'luxury' from somebody else, since she's saving?

Any suggestions? I'll happily spend more a bit more than usual, she sounds pretty miserable sad (I'm surprised her family won't lend her the deposit, but that's not the point of the thread...). It doesn't sound like she'll get home for Christmas either (she only has Christmas and Boxing Day off, and like I said, she's miles away) so I'd like to send something nice.

MrsBertMacklin Wed 03-Dec-14 23:54:43

What is her new job - I'm always happy to get nice stationery, could she use a nice Moleskine notebook?

Framed print, for when she gets a new place?

5446 Thu 04-Dec-14 05:39:56

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and my friend put together a mini care package for me.

It was a bar of Galaxy, mini bubble bath, fluffy socks, trashy magazine and some nail varnish.

Small things but really made me feel like someone cared and loved me enough to go to the effort.

You sound like a lovely friend and I hope your friend gets the deposit sorted soon.

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 04-Dec-14 10:47:49

I would give a cinema voucher because when you are miserable and broke you need a night out more. Well I do anyway & if I am broke then entertainment is last on my list.

Cineworld do a gift box including tickets & snacks for two for 20 pounds.

shakemysilliesout Thu 04-Dec-14 13:01:28

I'd get a Starbucks card for someone in this situation.

CarrotAndCucumber Sun 07-Dec-14 14:51:07

Thank you, these are all great smile

It's a marketing job, so office based. I'll have a look at the cinema voucher, and maybe put in a few other little bits and bobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now