Talk

Advanced search

Christmas parties at home, food ideas?

(21 Posts)
petswinprizes Tue 02-Dec-14 18:33:58

Having a small house party, about 20, looking for something easy to feed everyone with. Last year we had chilli and pulled pork with bread/wraps/jackets. Would like something similar as I find buffets take a disproportionate amount of time. Is lasagne too heavy/messy? What do people eat at parties? Don't want to do the frozen nibbles stuff. What is the best Christmas party food that you've ever had?

SantasBassoon Tue 02-Dec-14 18:35:42

Curry with all the sides. It's a change from roast meats and pastry-based party foods.

Dinnerfor1 Tue 02-Dec-14 19:01:21

I would say curry too! With lots of nice bits and pickles and things. Yum

petswinprizes Tue 02-Dec-14 21:35:27

Hadn't actually thought of curry. Not sure my curries are good enough though - I cook for dh & the kids, but they're not that fussy.

TwoNoisyBoys Tue 02-Dec-14 22:17:32

Marking my place with interest....I'm having a party on 28th and have been wondering the same thing!
I had a party at Halloween and did a chilli and a butternut squash soup, with crusty bread. It went down really well, but I think I'd like to try something different. I'm keen on the pulled pork....and lasagne is another good idea. I'm also in the same position as you over the curry....good idea but not sure if mine is good enough!

MollyBdenum Tue 02-Dec-14 22:23:34

If you are lacking in curry prowess, get some curry packs from Rafi's spice box spicebox.co.uk . They are basically a very good quality spice paste to which you add water and the rest of your ingredients. They are fantastic and are pretty much foolproof.

Mitchymatchy Tue 02-Dec-14 23:15:26

Mexican. Big bowls of chilli and refried beans, all the trimmings (bought or made).

Love lasagne, always popular but you'd need a huge quantity to feed 20.

TwoNoisyBoys Wed 03-Dec-14 00:27:37

Mitchy, I'd LOVE to do a Mexican theme, but I've got at least two confirmed non-mince eaters (not veggie, but just won't touch mince!) and if the main part is mince based they'd go mad.......grin

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 03-Dec-14 05:20:49

Curry is the way to go especially as you can cater for vegetarians & meat eaters at the same time.

If you have a slow cooker then curry is very easy to do as you just chuck in your ingredients & cook it onlow.

pickwickcrocus Wed 03-Dec-14 05:49:11

We are having a party too but it's mid afternoon rather than evening - we are still providing a decent amount of food though.

Basically a big cheese board with a lovely glazed gammon on the side, with warm bread, crackers, apples, grapes, chutney, celery etc. Then also bowls of nibbles and one of two warm things like sausage rolls and something else for the children. For later we were just going to have big bowls of mini stollen and gingerbread, and some Christmas cupcakes if I have time to make them.

I think this should mean that nobody is stuck in the kitchen for too long while everyone else has a good time!

If you wanted something hot that is done all in one pot, you could do a big stew with warm bread on the side and everyone could have big bowls of it. Or chunky soup with pasta. Not very fancy though I guess.

anyoldname76 Wed 03-Dec-14 09:04:36

I prefer nibbley food at parties, I hate having to stand up to try and eat a curry or lasagna

DamselNotInHerDress Wed 03-Dec-14 09:21:12

Same anyold, And actually, I really hate lasagne!
If I go to a party, I drink rather than eat. I'd prefer just an enormous dish of sausage rolls tbgrin
But as that didn't really answer your question, yes, well made currys are the way forwards, made the day before (or longer and then frozen) as it tastes better the longer it's left for.
A couple of meaty curries, 3 nice veggie dishes, whip up a load of breads (paratha are so so easy) and a big pot of rice - use a steamer if you have one or borrow one if you can.

DamselNotInHerDress Wed 03-Dec-14 09:22:22

By the way, what's with all the smileys? My one had a hat like a Scottish golfer? tbconfused

KerryMehome Wed 03-Dec-14 09:42:21

How about doing the mexican theme but adding a big dish of chicken in a fajita mix for the non mince eaters with a plate of tortillas on the side? I'd love a mexican spread the nibblers could fill up on the nachos, dips, sweetcorn fritter type dishes and the ones who prefer a meal can fill their boots with fajita or chill

GerrardWinstanley Wed 03-Dec-14 20:22:35

Sausage casserole with jacket spuds?
Southern fried chicken with wedges and coleslaw
Burgers and hot dogs?
Pizzas and garlic bread?

Hungry now grin

Artandco Wed 03-Dec-14 20:29:33

Beef bourginion - bung in large pot in am, stir occasionally and add more wine through the day!

Add rice and potatoes as sides

Mitchymatchy Wed 03-Dec-14 20:45:48

Lovely ideas here.

OP, the last time I did mexican it was for veggie friends! Or as Kerry says, add chicken fajitas. We often do refried bean tortillas or fajitas with something like butter beans and big slices of those huge mushrooms. Works v well, but perhaps chicken is more likely to go down well with non-veggies. Mexican is faffy though, especially buffet style. Something like the beef bourginion would be much less work, both to cook and eat.

pollypocket123 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:25:45

Oh I love a buffet! But a curry or Mexican would work well.

petswinprizes Thu 04-Dec-14 09:18:43

I'm liking the idea of Mexican, can prepare burritos and enchiladas earlier in the day and bung them in the oven as needed. Love quesadilla but probably too faffy to cook as needed - do you think they'd be nice cold? Fajitas probably too time consuming and tricky to keep warm. Hmmm. Much thinking needed.

Wherehasmysleepgone Thu 04-Dec-14 10:41:03

I'm with Damsel smile I will always be found munching the sausage rolls at a party, I often just make them at home and shove them in eat when warm!! Yummmm!
Mexican and curry selection sounds great though!
When we go to friends for lunch they cook marinated chicken and bacon with wraps and filled jacket skins! Something tasty but easy!

Mitchymatchy Thu 04-Dec-14 20:55:20

Or just put out pots of fillings, grated cheese, sauces and salad and let people fill their own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now