Talk

Advanced search

Outside christmas lights

(9 Posts)
PurplePunkPrincess Tue 02-Dec-14 12:04:58

i desperately want Christmas lights on my house. I've bought them and pretty sure I have a spare extension cord.

So how on earth do I plug them in without having a window permanently open? hmm

Notdoingalot Tue 02-Dec-14 12:06:46

I've always wondered this too so thanks for asking the question.

theHowlatWooooooCorner Tue 02-Dec-14 12:10:13

I'm sure you need an outside power supply, professionaly installed by an electrician.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 02-Dec-14 12:14:09

We have an outdoor socket for the lights on the house, prior to that I just used to leave a very small window open (obviously, unplug and close window when leaving the house).

For the outdoor tree lights, DP somehow connects that into the system he has for the all-year round outdoor lamps on the pillars. Don't ask me how, though. )Not helpful, sorry(!

Lucylouby Tue 02-Dec-14 14:04:29

The wire for our lights goes through the window, which we then shut and it traps the wires. Be very careful not to trap the wire in the mechanism of the window though. I did this last year and split the wire, meaning the lights were useless. With the next set of lights I was more careful and they worked fine and the same in a different house this year.
We also have some that plug into the garage socket. I think we may have gone a bit mad with the outside lights this year!

ProbablyMe Tue 02-Dec-14 14:07:24

What PP said, put the wire through the window and it will still shut as the wires aren't too big. I've done this for years and my mum has always done it too.

curiousgeorgie Tue 02-Dec-14 14:21:14

We put the wire through the window and shut the window... We have shutters so it's all hidden.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 02-Dec-14 15:52:17

The transformer usually has to be indoors anyway. We have drilled a hole in our doorframe for the wire to fit through and it gets bunged up when not in use.

ChristmasInsanity Wed 03-Dec-14 19:33:50

I've NC, but am OP! Thanks smile

Any idea how to find if we have an outside socket. There's a thing at the front of our house that's screwed shut with a wire going to inside, thinking that I have not got a clue what it is but could that be an outside socket maybe?
My dp will not be impressed if I put them through the window (they would still be going up though!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now