Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying for your DM and MIL?

(22 Posts)
NannyHat Tue 02-Dec-14 08:12:04

Need inspiration!

awaywego1 Tue 02-Dec-14 12:34:54

DM-jumper from fat face, pj bottoms, Liz Earle moisturiser.
DMIL- no idea..I leave it to dp so probably something rubbish blush

Fathertedismyuncle Tue 02-Dec-14 14:26:58

MIL has her favourite perfume and a Joules onsie
My mother has some knitting needles as requested. She doesn't do Christmas.

HeirToTheIronThrone Tue 02-Dec-14 14:31:04

DM is very easy as she has requested the DVDs of The Trip and they had a box set on Amazon, job done. I don't have a MIL as she died a long time ago, but DStepMum will get a nice hardback book and some of my home brewed bramble gin. Maybe some gingerbread too.

lucysmam Tue 02-Dec-14 14:44:56

My MIL is not at all fussed about luxury gifts & tends to save anything nice 'for best' so I've been struggling a bit. I think we're going to go for a nice, everyday-ish, hand and nail care kit with cream and nail polish - she spends a lot of time on her nails, always has them painted.

0898 Tue 02-Dec-14 14:48:49

Mum and stepdad - crate of wine.

MIL - something from my emergency TKMaxx scarf-and-or-toiletries-set drawer.

Shamazeballs Tue 02-Dec-14 14:52:33

Mum- watch and bird bath/feeder
MIL- subscription to a craft magazine.

Not exactly adventurous!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Dec-14 14:52:40

DM - new top (tesco!) chocolates and a smallish no.7 set

DMIL - a few smellies she has hinted for, some mini yankee candles and chocolates

Dh's dad also has a girlfriend so she has a box of chocolates

SlinkyB Tue 02-Dec-14 14:54:49

MIL: nightie from M&S and framed professional pic of the grandkids

(My Mum is dead).

HeyheyheyGoodbye Tue 02-Dec-14 14:55:15

DMIL: Pandora charm for her bracelet, L'Occitane goodies, christmas decoration.

DM: frigging loads! Magazine subscription, knitting book, Lush stuff, DVD, great big hardback book, gardening stuff...the list goes on blush

InMySpareTime Tue 02-Dec-14 15:01:09

DM: a knee support because her arthritis is really playing up and she only had a cheap tubigrip.
MIL: sponsored a pane of glass in a greenhouse at a National Trust property (name on a plaque, certificate etc).

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 02-Dec-14 15:02:27

Mil - 4 books, a bottle of bucks fizz and a box of after eights.

DM - a handbag, 2 x gift sets of her favourite bubble baths, book, scarf, lindt santa and reindeer

ChubbyKitty Tue 02-Dec-14 15:15:27

Mil has a lovely silver fur throw, after eights, new slippers, Baylis and Harding fluffy sock set, and fancy latte glasses and spoons with some costa latte tassimo pods.

My mum is no longer with us.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Tue 02-Dec-14 15:28:41

DM is having a seeing machine

DMIL is having Estée Lauder hoodies

Both are having DS 1's school photo and chocs

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Tue 02-Dec-14 15:29:26

A sewing machine, that is! She can see fine as long as she's wearing her glasses smile

iamdivergent Tue 02-Dec-14 16:02:44

DM - bottle of proscetto and I think a voucher for hairdressers

DMIL - leather gloves (M&S), body shop satsuma shower gel and a puff puff, box of chocolates

cunexttuesonline Tue 02-Dec-14 17:55:41

DM - tickets for a show, Ren rose shower gel, raspberry gin.
MIL - magazine subscription (requested), sweetie tree christmas pudding, scarf (john lewis).

Lovelydiscusfish Tue 02-Dec-14 18:13:19

Dm is getting loads of clothes (tops, jumper, gloves, pj bottoms) and a photo key ring of dd. Dh is binding a recipe book for her (he is an amateur book-binder).
I am getting dmil a photo make-up bag (photo of dd), a magnetic shopping list thing and some chocolate drink stirrers (Lidl but look quite posh). Dh is getting a painting done of her cat (who sadly passed away this year) by a pet portrait person. Who is working from photos of the cat, while it was still alive!

TheWordFactory Tue 02-Dec-14 18:18:00

I'm paying for my Mum to have a new kitchen fitted, so as a surpirse I am collecting various kitchen things; whisks, spatulas, apron, oven gloves etc.

I leave MIL to DH! Thus far, she's getting nowt!

ChunkyPickle Tue 02-Dec-14 18:23:18

I'm letting my 4 year old pick all presents for adult family this year. He's been doing it for friend's birthday parties for a year or so, and it's so much easier.

Admittedly, he's pretty sure that all adults want either coffee or Hotwheels, so I'll do some gentle steering, but I tend to think that presents are for kids at Christmas, and adults get something token, and by letting him pick it gets him involved.

DP might get something for his mum, but he got something big last year, so he might just stick with my plan.

Mum - a book she wants (second hand, because it is out of print), and some little treats from Fortnum and Mason (I am doing as much as possible online, due to family stresses).

MIL - we don't know if she will still be alive by Christmas - we were told her doctor would be surprised if she lasted a fortnight, but that was over a month ago - I think I am going to buy a silk scarf, so if she is still with us, it can be draped round her shoulder or put over her lap - at least she will be able to enjoy the texture.

Alexaa Tue 02-Dec-14 18:53:21

DM- Longchamp Roseau Heritage Gloves. She has really wanted these for a while and said we could choose anything for Christmas. Getting her these as a surprise because she deserves them.

DMIL- LSA Polka Champagne Flutes. Set of four handmade champagne flutes from Poland. Also got her the new Balenciago perfume from John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now