Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with gift from baby to Daddy

(16 Posts)
cravingcake Tue 02-Dec-14 05:12:49

This is our DD's 1st christmas and i want to get something special for DH from her similar to what i did for our DS's first christmas which was a bottle of whiskey with a letter saying it has to be kept tucked away in the cupboard for DH & DS to open on DS 18th birthday. I'm stuck for ideas and time is limited (i'm going into hospital next week) so can anyone help with suggestions?

Mrsgrumble Tue 02-Dec-14 05:55:51

That was a lovely idea from DS to dh! Really sweet

No reason you couldn't do that again as a little tradition or brandy or something. At least it doesn't take up a huge amount of room.

Rosa Tue 02-Dec-14 06:07:11

Bottle of champagne form the year she was born.if you want to keep the same tradition.
Or something with her fingerprint on, or an engraved charm or similar.

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Dec-14 06:19:11

I would do the same thing with the whiskey.

5446 Tue 02-Dec-14 06:35:40

What about one of those From You to Me books? Your DH can fill it in and DD gets it on her 18th.

I also like the idea of champagne.

Greythorne Tue 02-Dec-14 06:39:49

Champagne does not age that well unless you really know what you are buying, so I would suggest sticking with the whiskey. It's a lovely idea and girls can drink whiskey too!

Eminybob Tue 02-Dec-14 06:43:20

I have bought cuff links with DS's hand and footprints on.
There are some beautiful silver ones available from notonthehighstreet but I found them quite pricey so I went with coloured glass ones from Amazon. With postage they were about £30

cravingcake Tue 02-Dec-14 06:48:14

Thanks for some good suggestions, i hadnt really even thought about doing the same thing as whiskey isnt a 'girly' drink but i think it might be nice. I looked at wine/champagne last time but its not easy to keep well. I will look at the cufflinks idea as well, i think DH might like that.

MaryWestmacott Tue 02-Dec-14 07:13:52

Hand print mug for his desk?
A jar labelled "adventures with daddy" and fill with cards saying things like "teach me to climb a tree" and "build a den" etc (although that might be nice as a joint gift from both dcs)

duckbilled Tue 02-Dec-14 09:58:48

DD gave DH a personalised decoration for the tree on her first Christmas, it says something like "Our first Christmas as Daddy and his little girl". I got it from Amazon.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Tue 02-Dec-14 12:18:23

Port keeps well...

Catanddogmake6 Tue 02-Dec-14 12:37:11

Was just about to say port but saw Blackbird got there. Don't know what the vintage is like this year. Don't drink as much of it as I used to but I certainly know lots of girls who drink it. Tawny port would also age. 20 year old decent Tawny port would be a great drink to have on your 18th.

cravingcake Tue 02-Dec-14 20:43:44

Brilliant ideas, Love the one with the jar saying adventures with daddy - I could also give a blank photo album with it to be filled with pictures of them doing all their adventures (but will probably do that from both the DC's). And Port could be a good one to do, will be scouring the shops tomorrow!

slippermaiden Tue 02-Dec-14 21:07:37

A piece of China with baby's handprints on? A couple of places near us do that.

Moglimoo Tue 02-Dec-14 21:32:04

Lovely idea. Notonthehighstreet have a lovely key ring with your child's date of birth and the inscription 'the day you became my daddy' it is small and discreet, not twee!

Minnie911 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:59:46

For my dcs dads 21st I got a hip flask engraved for him with a little message and dcs names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now