Talk

Advanced search

Best places for mail-order food gifts?

(20 Posts)
Wigeon Mon 01-Dec-14 16:31:11

Please share your recommendations for food gifts you can get delivered to the recipient(s) by mail order!

I have a bunch of relatives who have everything and who I don't routinely see at Christmas, but who I give presents to, and have come to the conclusion that nice food is always a treat, won't clutter their house up, and should be generally welcome. My top places to order from are:

Cottage Brownies ink{http://www.gowercottagebrownies.co.uk/\www.gowercottagebrownies.co.uk]]/} - just YUM. Every recipient I've given them to has loved them.

ink{http://www.biscuiteers.com/\www.biscuiteers.com]]/} - really beautiful and tasty hand-iced biscuits, come in lovely tins / packaging too. All themes (birthday, thank you etc) as well as Christmas themed ones. If you sign up to their newsletter you get £5 off your first tin. Then they often have free delivery offers, 15% off etc too.

Basil Brownies ink{http://www.bluebasilbrownies.co.uk/\www.bluebasilbrownies.co.uk]]/} - love these brownies too.

Ardtaraig - smoked salmon, kippers, oysters.

I've run out of ideas for this year's presents though so all other recommendations welcome!

Wigeon Mon 01-Dec-14 16:58:05

Sorry, don't know how I messed up the links so badly! Trying again:

Gower Cottage Brownies

Biscuiteers

Ardtaraig

Blue Basil Brownies

Lifesalemon Mon 01-Dec-14 17:22:10

Sorry wigeon I don't have any recommendations to add but I'm so pleased to see bluebasil brownies on your list, I've just ordered a few gifts from them.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Dec-14 17:34:32

Booths.

Just Booths.

www.booths.co.uk

SauvignonBlanche Mon 01-Dec-14 17:51:32

I'm looking for alcohol-free gift to send to a hospital ward. Those brownies look nice. grin

Fortnum and Mason. I have sent a bunch of presents this year and last - there are a few relatives who,I used to send a calendar, and I reckon that the calendar, plus post and packing, used to add up to about a tenner, so now they get a little tube of nice biscuits, in F&M packaging, and that adds up to about the same (the delivery is £5, iirc).

It isn't a big gift, or a lavish one, but it is something they might well not get for themselves, it comes in a box that says Fortnum and Mason on it - and it isn't something that might or might not match their decor or be to their taste, and it isn't something they have to find permanent space for.

And I can do it from the comfort of my computer.

Curlygirly Mon 01-Dec-14 18:02:06

http://www.flapojacks.co.uk/

Really delicious flap jacks with big variety of flavours. Just ordered a hamper from them this week.

Curlygirly Mon 01-Dec-14 18:03:17

Hmmm...Obviously I don't know how to do links!

UncrushedParsley Mon 01-Dec-14 18:04:13

Lakeland Ltd

Wigeon Mon 01-Dec-14 18:14:33

Oooh, great ideas, thank you. Venison from Booths might tick a few off the list..

Sauvignon: For a gift to someone in hospital, Biscuiteers do lovely get well soon biscuits here with get well themed decorations (plaster, pills etc), although the tin is £30 (but you get masses of biscuits in a really nice metal tin which you can keep), or get well soon chocloates which have cute stethoscopes etc on them, which are cheaper. I've sent the chocolates before and the recipient really liked them!

Wigeon Mon 01-Dec-14 18:15:34

Oh, and free delivery at Biscuiteers until the end of tomorrow, Tues 2 Dec, which is well worth having.

<takes shares out in Biscuiteers...>

SauvignonBlanche Mon 01-Dec-14 18:22:16

Thanks Wigeon but this is for the staff.

ishouldcocoa Mon 01-Dec-14 18:34:09

Custom Cookies

I've used these guys before and have always had compliments back. They are a bit cheaper than Biscuiteers ( and have no tin) but if youre on a budget (and who isn't?) then they're worth a go for all occasions.

I've used these three times, and the cheese is v good

Pong Cheese

Wigeon Mon 01-Dec-14 19:21:25

Sauvignon - the staff might appreciate hospital/ doctor / nurse themed biscuits or chocolates?! Or I'm sure the brownies would go down very well too.

Booths - looks brill and totally delicious - but £50 minimum order for home delivery, and I see all their stores are in the NW and I am south east... Sob! Might just have to order a haunch of venison anyway...

Definitely keen on savoury ideas for gifts you can get posted, as half the people I am trying to buy for are on some kind of diet / high cholesterol etc etc. Although personally I would love nothing but biscuits and brownies this Christmas!

Goldenlab Mon 01-Dec-14 19:30:34

I was looking to send a hamper of some description to Scotland. I found the delivery charges were really expensive and the contents of the hampers were really measly considering the price. I found a local cheese makers to the recipient's house who do a lovely box of 'artisan' cheeses, biscuits and chutney for about £30 including delivery. I can't find the name of the farm I ordered this from, but there are a large number of cheese makers that do similar.

TwoKidsAndCounting Mon 01-Dec-14 19:37:42

What about the good old fashioned hampers! M and S, Waitrose, Tesco. I sent a Tesco food one last year and it was well received, will be doing it again this year. Great for the older generation who have everything!

Wigeon Wed 03-Dec-14 16:07:42

Thanks for suggestion, although hampers feel like a bit of a swizz to me - as Goldenlab says, seem expensive considering the contents. And M&S / Waitrose not that special for some of these comfortably off relatives, and our budget wouldn't stretch to a Fortnum & Mason or Harrods hamper...

onepotatotwopotato Wed 03-Dec-14 16:22:38

Meg Rivers cake for cakes.

The Brownie Post for brownies.

The English Rose Bakery for macaroons.

On my phone so can't do links, but all road-tested by me grin

Wigeon Wed 03-Dec-14 18:15:40

Oh! Meg Rivers! I have been trying to remember that company for about five years, ever since someone once sent me a cake through them! Thank you!

The other two looks DELICIOUS too - macarons great idea for a special present. Although I'm not sure I could cheat on Gower Cottage Brownies...but I might just have to try out the competition... grin

Wigeon Sat 06-Dec-14 19:32:41

Have ordered two cheesy gifts from Pong Cheese fsmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now