Talk

Advanced search

Does anywhere sell nice (but bargainous!) bottles of port

(6 Posts)
workatemylife Mon 01-Dec-14 10:40:58

Bit of a mishap at the ILs over the weekend! I picked DC up for a cuddle (had just fallen and bumped head), turned around, and managed to knock FILs bottle of port onto the kitchen floor. It wasn't full, FIL was lovely about it, and it was a total accident, but I know that it was a present to him from a client, and I assume therefore that it was a decent bottle. I don't know what though!

I'm wondering if I can sneak a replacement under the Christmas tree for him, but I'm a bit clueless. If you wanted to buy a 'naice' bottle of port, and had an eye for a bargain, where would you start looking? Would a supermarket do, or do I need a wine retailer? Or online? MN advice needed......!

BlueChampagne Mon 01-Dec-14 11:52:40

I would go to an independent offie and ask if they have any bin ends. I'd say an independent would be more likely to turn up something unusual and tasty. I'd also tell them the whole story, just in case they take pity on you!

Do you happen to remember what it is you're replacing? If so, you could check prices online.

orangepudding Mon 01-Dec-14 12:01:28

Looks in Aldi

workatemylife Mon 01-Dec-14 13:10:10

Thank you for the advice. I don't know what I'm meant to be replacing, but starting with an independent (and sympathetic to a silly story offie) sounds like a good idea. The Aldi article was really useful though - maybe I need to stand there with some online comparisons at the ready to make sure I get a good deal though.

BlueChampagne Mon 01-Dec-14 13:21:08

A bit of price research always gives you confidence. Whereabouts are you? If you don't find what you want, maybe a voucher is an option?

Good luck!

TheWordFactory Mon 01-Dec-14 15:31:23

When I was in the Co-op last week, there were bottles of port on half price, I noticed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now