Talk

Advanced search

Met police organising gifts for children in care

(5 Posts)
Atalanta Sun 30-Nov-14 22:52:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 01-Dec-14 04:39:52

Thanks for letting me know. I will be donating and have posted on the bargain thread letting people know about your thread.

EdithWeston Mon 01-Dec-14 07:07:27

The police do quite a bit to help children/teens (things like supporting holiday clubs) and it often goes unsung, or is blotted out by coverage when how to police juveniles hits the news for the wrong reasons.

This looks a good initiative. Anyone seen what is on one of the tags? Is it essentially buy something and drop off at the local nick?

LadyPenny Mon 01-Dec-14 10:29:19

I really don't agree with this. I'm a foster carer and this week I received £550 to buy gifts for the 3 dc in my care. They will also get gifts from all my family plus their own families. Children with good foster carers don't go without.
I would rather see people give gifts to food banks that can then be distributed to families in need. A lot of money is directed to children in care. It's often the children in loving but poor families who suffer more at this time of year.

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 01-Dec-14 10:39:35

Oh I didn't know that LadyPenny. The Salvation Army does similar and collects for children from deprived backgrounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now